Look of the Paris Games

Daze

Hi everyone,

don't know, if anyone noticed the updated version of the Paris 2024 website.

There is a part about the brand, the logo and also the main and secondary colours.

I think it'll be much different from the last games.

Black, white and gold are the main colours, combined with 4 different pairs of secondary colours, dark-blue/yellow, green/white, light-pink/petrol and sth like apricot/beige(?)

https://www.paris2024.org/en/design/

Edited by Sir Rols

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Been musing about “Looks” today over on the LA threads, which prompted me to go back to the Paris 2024 site link @Dazeposted last year. Thought it might be good to post some of it directly here:

51941451339_29b48bd837_c.jpg

51941763770_7be989ee7b_c.jpg

51941231873_7b9f6ac8a9_c.jpg

51941468134_ac9a409b03_c.jpg

51941231813_7a9033cb53_c.jpg

51941763830_c210f55fc3_c.jpg

Jeez, the French don't know how to count.  Their blurb atop says "SEVEN supporting colours."  Count'em - there are huit - eight!!  Must be that Estanguet magic -- not allowing his minions to count correctly.  :wacko:  Sacre bleu! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Jeez, the French don't know how to count.  Their blurb atop says "SEVEN supporting colours."  Count'em - there are huit - eight!!  Must be that Estanguet magic -- not allowing his minions to count correctly.  :wacko:  Sacre bleu! 

I noticed that too…

10 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

But if you look at truer colour chart, the red also denotes those great Olympic values of insolence and rage.

LOL.

Not sure if the 2024 OOC is going to end up overthinking aspects of their event.

The so-called look of recent summer games to me have been "uh, oo-kay."

As I've learned about the 1968 games and other Olympics, a lot of what an organizing committee comes up with may actually be originating from non-local sources. For better or worse. The look of Mexico was greatly supervised by an American.

The 1996 games ceremonies were overseen by a guy based in LA.

/\/\  You're rehashing quite a bit of stuff that has already been covered here before.  I really don't know what it amounts to now.  

Mischer also did Salt Lake '02 and a number of other similar events.  Remember that Tony Howe designed Rio 2016 cauldron(s).  Until his untimely death, it was a graphic artist from Barcelona who was supervising Vancouver 2010's Look.  Maybe we should release the news now -- to PUtin -- that Moscow 1980's "Look" was supervised by a Ukrainian!  :wacko:  And actually, Sochi 2014's Opening was the brainchild of a theatrical designer from Kazakhstan.  So nothing is really new under the sun.  

42 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

/\/\  You're rehashing quite a bit of stuff that has already been covered here before.  I really don't know what it amounts to now.  

Mischer also did Salt Lake '02 and a number of other similar events.  Remember that Tony Howe designed Rio 2016 cauldron(s).  Until his untimely death, it was a graphic artist from Barcelona who was supervising Vancouver 2010's Look.  Maybe we should release the news now -- to PUtin -- that Moscow 1980's "Look" was supervised by a Ukrainian!  :wacko:  And actually, Sochi 2014's Opening was the brainchild of a theatrical designer from Kazakhstan.  So nothing is really new under the sun.  

And let’s not forget Aussie David Atkins, and his stamp on Olympic and other major event ceremonies from Sydney to Doha to Vancouver. 

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

As I've learned about the 1968 games and other Olympics, a lot of what an organizing committee comes up with may actually be originating from non-local sources. For better or worse. The look of Mexico was greatly supervised by an American.

The 1996 games ceremonies were overseen by a guy based in LA.

As Baron intimated, you’re showing your naivety if you think that’s something new or unknown around here. Of course organising committees source their expertise from the best of the best, wherever they come from. All games are international efforts overseen by the locals who give final approval. Where’s the issue in that?

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Not sure if the 2024 OOC is going to end up overthinking aspects of their event.

The so-called look of recent summer games to me have been "uh, oo-kay."

I’m going to take this to a more appropriate thread to discuss so as not to have you derail here further.

• Like 1

^ You folks have been posting to this forum for years. Although I read parts of it several years ago, I never signed up and became a user myself. At the time, I recall running into threads full of odd in-fighting. That's when I thought this forum was un-moderated. Or maybe it was at the time?

Since I don't know about all the ins and outs of the IOC the way you do, baron's comments above, for example, are new info to me. I didn't know a person in Spain did work for the games in Canada.

I used to think each games was a reflection of people and organizations mainly based within a host city or host country. Obviously, wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

^ You folks have been posting to this forum for years. Although I read parts of it several years ago, I never signed up and became a user myself. At the time, I recall running into threads full of odd in-fighting. That's when I thought this forum was un-moderated. Or maybe it was at the time?

Since I don't know about all the ins and outs of the IOC the way you do, baron's comments above, for example, are new info to me. I didn't know a person in Spain did work for the games in Canada.

I used to think each games was a reflection of people and organizations mainly based within a host city or host country. Obviously, wrong.

Granted most of this is new to you.  I guess what Sir Rols and I are saying is that because the Olympics are international, multi-million dollar extravaganzas, it shouldn't really be all that surprising now that the origins of the major creatives cross international borders.  While indeed, a certain amount of using-local/national talent is manifested and to be expected, there is such movement of talent these days that--as Rols said--the COJOs attempt to secure the best personnel available -- regardless of origins.  Actually, the Vancouver artist had happened to work for Barcelona 1992, and then emigrated to Vancouver, Canada -- and was situated most serendipitously to get the critical 2010 design job.  Unfortunately, he passed away like a year or ten months before he saw the fruition of his labors.  But it seems he had set the guidelines and criteria for 2010's Look.  

It would seem that the more developed, major countries (USA, UK, China, Canada, France, Norway, etc.) would have the pool of native talent to draw from -- but the middling countries have the  pick of the best from industry leaders. 

Who knows?  We may be seeing an Ukrainian who's trying to start a new life in western Europe tomorrow, head some similar design portfolio in the future? 

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Another relevant anecdote.  Actually, Ric Birch started his international career with Los ANgeles 1984.  He had just come off doing the CWG 1982 Ceremonies in --guess where?  Brisbane, when LAOOC came a-calling.  Because LAOOC was unhappy with Disney's early scenarios for its Ceremonies, they hired Birch, as an outsider, to sort of be like a "devil's advocate/quality-control person" for the ceremonies that were going to be produced in-house by David Wolper.  And from there was launched Ric Birch's international career as the first of the go-to Olympic-ceremonies mavens.  So, if Birch will still be around for 2032, Brisbane 2032 will bring Ric Birch full circle in his Special Events career -- a full 50-year cycle.  WOW!! 

And, of course, once you’ve had experience on one games, that becomes a valuable experience commodity to sell to future hosts. As Baron and I have mentioned names like David Atkins, Don Mischer and Ric Birch, there’s also people like Mike Lee, who oversaw the London bid and was able to turn that into a bid guru for hire role for bidding cities into the next decade.

• Sir Rols changed the title to Look of the Paris Games

^ That's why the Olympics seem to be increasingly clones or variations of one another. I didn't realize how many of them involve cross-boundary work and inter-country consulting. Even going back to the 1960s.

Also, because of torchsydney pointing out the 1952 games in Helsinki, I now realize that decisionmaking by organizing committees that make me go "huh?!" dates back way longer too.

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Because LAOOC was unhappy with Disney's early scenarios for its Ceremonies, they hired Birch, as an outsider, to sort of be like a "devil's advocate/quality-control person" for the ceremonies that were going to be produced in-house by David Wolper.

Very interesting.

I'm sure such info has been posted in this forum's threads through the years. But since there are so many of them, it's easy to miss key posts.

I wish gamesbid.com didn't have as many threads and sub-threads. I notice that's true of plenty of other forums too.

In general, something about most everyone makes them not a fan of KISS: Keep it simple, stupid!