A letter from Brazil

I’m so glad you chose to post Danny. The site isn’t what it once was, but one thing I was pleased to see was so many old timers call in during the games. And I did think of you when noting that. So, really, really pleased to hear from you.

I’m happy to hear that your wife is doing well and you seem to be dealing well with your life challenges. And glad that Rio did meet your expectations - I know a home games can really touch your soul. For what it’s worth, I enjoyed thosegames and thought Rio did well - my only regret was I didn’t get to go in person and perhaps even meet up with you too.

All the best Danny - hope we still hear from you in the future.

PS - Yoshi really needs people to get behind his logo comps. Call in in December - you could get your name on another title!

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DannyelBrazil said:

Hello friends of GamesBids.

It has been 5 years since I last posted here and at that time much of my life was in a mess: wife had cancer, problems at my job that caused me deep depression, among others. At that time I realized that if I stayed here reading the forums it would ruin the joy of receiving the Olympic Games in my beloved hometown of Rio. So I decided to simply avoid GamesBids Forums.

I decided to face the lots of problems of my life and also enjoy my dream.

I don't regret. Fortunately, my wife's cancer was cured in 2017 and I'm still treating my depression (it got much worse in mid-2017 and every day has been a battle since then).

About the Olympics? I think you guys agree with me: It's the best event in the planet and Rio 2016 was perfect. For me it was.

Rio and Brazil had, have and will have problems (just like all countries, some more, other less). But as I pointed above, we must face problems and enjoy life when possible. Rio did it. I did it. And unfortunately I couldn't did it here with some many "POVs" ruining my experience.

During the years at the Forums I made a very special friend, Martin from Germany. He came to Rio 2016, we went to Maracanãzinho together watch female volleyball, he stayed few days at my home and it was one of the best days of my life. Martin is truly a gentleman and a special human being.

He told me some members of the forums were in Rio. I wish I could have met all of them to have fun and show a little bit of the city. I was not invited to the rendervouz and that's really okay. Somehow this was/is a club of friends and I was never part of the club... "Danny is too sensitive to critics". You are right. Maybe I was to certain extent. But anyway it doesn't matter anymore.

For those who came to Rio 2016, I truly hope you enjoyed at least one second of your stay. If you smiled once in Rio I'm happy. Smiles are more special than I thought before depression and smiles are the most pure expression of our souls.

During the last 5 years I missed all the logo competitions, all the inappropriate bid contests, some jokes, some good talk, but I never missed some bad times we had here. Thankfully now it's past and no hard feelings. :)

I waited 5 years to write this post. I waited the end of Tokyo Games so now Rio is past, Tokyo is past too. Right time to say something without Rio games in the mirror. I want to thank you for a great opportunity on understanding different cultures, to understand different backgrounds, to learn much of the English skills I have today (still not fluent). You guys helped me a lot with English! You guys also helped me a lot in the other fandom I'm part now. The "international mindset" that I learned here was a keypoint in my 5-year role as a chairman of an international event held annually in Brazil and respected abroad. Thank you!

It was also a great opportunity to prove myself that we must focus in good things of life. It's way better than spend time trying to show other people with pre-existing judgements that things can be a little bit different. To show that maybe I was right to be happy about something we share the passion - Olympic Games. But Olympic Games in a different place, a place I love.

To all those who read this letter, my respect and best wishes of good luck.

To those few ready to write harsh words in the comments, my respect and best wishes of good luck too.

To GBMod, thank you for everything in the past and I hope IOC bring back the bid process. It was much better.

Greetings from Brazil (and Brazil continues a very amazing and beautiful place as always),

Danny

PS: Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony still the best after 5 years. Change my mind - lol

You also got the memo about making a comeback my friend.

Glad things with your wife's health came good but sad to hear you are still. having a hard time with some stuff - stay strong man :)

Hopefully you will be up for a logo battle in December - I sure am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

OMG Danny! I never expected to see you back here, what a lovely surprise :) I echo @Scotguy II, glad that your wife's better, and very sorry to hear about the depression. Is there much support available in Brazil? You're right though, the Olympics is the greatest event on the planet. There's a lot wrong with it, especially the IOC itself, but there's a comment I saw on I think the Guardian yesterday that stayed with me and sums it up: 'The Olympics is the four-yearly reminder that the world is still an amazing place.' I'm hoping to maybe go to Paris, even if only for a couple of days. I don't know how much it'll cost but I love France, speak un peu of French, and let's be honest, it won't be this close again for some time. And now the BBC coverage has been neutered, won't miss as much as before :P. And you're right, Martin is special. I went on a European train trip in autumn 2019 and met him in Hamburg for a cup of tea. I hope he's still ok - @Citius Altius Fortius? Finally...

5 hours ago, DannyelBrazil said:

During the last 5 years I missed all the logo competitions

That ends now, right? Watch this space (well, a different space technically but still GB) at the start of December :) I might have a little something related sooner, no guarantees though. Have to run it past Rols...

• Thanks 1

What a great thread! Thanks for sharing, Danny. I'm fairly new here, so the forum history is a bit unknown to me, but your post left an impression.

My biggest regret is not making it to Rio for the Olympics. Never been to a Games in-person, but this was the one I really wanted to go and the timing in my life just didn't work. But I did finally make it to Rio in April 2019. I'll tell you this: I've been in many places across the world, but I've never missed a city like I miss Rio. The city is poetry at every turn. Will never forget the art, architecture... seeing the breathtaking scale of Pão de Açucar for the first time. Or Copacabana under full moon... the food, music, and hospitality. Wow.

As you said, Rio has problems as every city does, but it also has amazing things that few places in the world have. As you say, problems shouldn't overtake one from finding the immense beauty and hope of a city, be it A Cidade Maravilhosa or any other. Can't wait to go back.

Hope you stay and continue posting!

• Thanks 1

So glad to hear from you again. Your post resonated with me since my wife also received a cancer diagnosis back in February and it has weighed heavily on me ever since. I applaud you for being so open with your own struggles and hope that you are able to have the compassion and support that you need.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys for the kind answers.

Who knows in the future I'll be back in a better mood for discussions and without Rio Olympics in the spotlight.

You guys have a great day :)

• Like 2

On 8/9/2021 at 8:00 PM, DannyelBrazil said:

Hello friends of GamesBids.

It has been 5 years since I last posted here and at that time much of my life was in a mess: wife had cancer, problems at my job that caused me deep depression, among others. At that time I realized that if I stayed here reading the forums it would ruin the joy of receiving the Olympic Games in my beloved hometown of Rio. So I decided to simply avoid GamesBids Forums.

I decided to face the lots of problems of my life and also enjoy my dream.

I don't regret. Fortunately, my wife's cancer was cured in 2017 and I'm still treating my depression (it got much worse in mid-2017 and every day has been a battle since then).

About the Olympics? I think you guys agree with me: It's the best event in the planet and Rio 2016 was perfect. For me it was.

Rio and Brazil had, have and will have problems (just like all countries, some more, other less). But as I pointed above, we must face problems and enjoy life when possible. Rio did it. I did it. And unfortunately I couldn't did it here with some many "POVs" ruining my experience.

During the years at the Forums I made a very special friend, Martin from Germany. He came to Rio 2016, we went to Maracanãzinho together watch female volleyball, he stayed few days at my home and it was one of the best days of my life. Martin is truly a gentleman and a special human being.

He told me some members of the forums were in Rio. I wish I could have met all of them to have fun and show a little bit of the city. I was not invited to the rendervouz and that's really okay. Somehow this was/is a club of friends and I was never part of the club... "Danny is too sensitive to critics". You are right. Maybe I was to certain extent. But anyway it doesn't matter anymore.

For those who came to Rio 2016, I truly hope you enjoyed at least one second of your stay. If you smiled once in Rio I'm happy. Smiles are more special than I thought before depression and smiles are the most pure expression of our souls.

During the last 5 years I missed all the logo competitions, all the inappropriate bid contests, some jokes, some good talk, but I never missed some bad times we had here. Thankfully now it's past and no hard feelings. :)

I waited 5 years to write this post. I waited the end of Tokyo Games so now Rio is past, Tokyo is past too. Right time to say something without Rio games in the mirror. I want to thank you for a great opportunity on understanding different cultures, to understand different backgrounds, to learn much of the English skills I have today (still not fluent). You guys helped me a lot with English! You guys also helped me a lot in the other fandom I'm part now. The "international mindset" that I learned here was a keypoint in my 5-year role as a chairman of an international event held annually in Brazil and respected abroad. Thank you!

It was also a great opportunity to prove myself that we must focus in good things of life. It's way better than spend time trying to show other people with pre-existing judgements that things can be a little bit different. To show that maybe I was right to be happy about something we share the passion - Olympic Games. But Olympic Games in a different place, a place I love.

To all those who read this letter, my respect and best wishes of good luck.

To those few ready to write harsh words in the comments, my respect and best wishes of good luck too.

To GBMod, thank you for everything in the past and I hope IOC bring back the bid process. It was much better.

Greetings from Brazil (and Brazil continues a very amazing and beautiful place as always),

Danny

PS: Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony still the best after 5 years. Change my mind - lol

Hi Danny

Welcome back.   It’s good to see you again here. 

I’m glad to hear of your wife’s recovery cancer.  Also I feel for your struggles with depression which is very real and widespread, especially excacerbated by external environmental factors like the pandemic on top of everything else.    Many are struggling with this/have struggled with this, myself included, and I suspect a significant number of older and newer posters on Gamesbids.com.

I hope your mental health gradually gets better so you gradually feel better.

I joined Gamesbids.com in 2012 and enjoyed your very much your posts on the progress and updates of Rio’s Olympics,

particularly venues and transport infrastructure construction and preparation.

In 2018 when I first got wind of Brisbane 2032’s plans I followed your lead from your many interesting and valued posts and updates about Rio leading up to the 2016 Games.

Like you I have found that there are some very nice level-headed Olympic fan posters on Gamesbids.com

Like you, I have found, to this day, there is a minority of destructive, negative idiots on Gamesbids.com who behave like children and are more interested in revenge and points scoring than behaving like an adult.

I too have upset a few along the way in the way I have posted and responded defensively and aggressively to some posters on Gamesbids.com 

Particularly in the last 6 months or so, where, here in Melbourne we are at 241 total lockdown days - a world record now - and I have at times responded/vented with disproportionate and negative, destructive responses against some.

But water under the bridge.

I can’t guarantee that I won’t just ignore the minority of loud idiots on here and  give back as good as I get - so a work in progress.

Anyway, it’s good to have you back and I wish you well day by day.  

Warm regards,

AustralianFan

I loved the Rio Games Ceremonies and the Games.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2021 at 12:00 PM, DannyelBrazil said:

Boa noite @DannyelBrazil

I had some great times in Brazil - the Games, the city of Rio, visiting you any your wife and the fur kids! You and Pat are amazing people, who made me feel home in Sao Vicente!

On 8/9/2021 at 5:26 PM, yoshi said:

And you're right, Martin is special. I went on a European train trip in autumn 2019 and met him in Hamburg for a cup of tea. I hope he's still ok - @Citius Altius Fortius? Finally...

I am very fine, @yoshi- I live in Vienna now with a partner and a pug!

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Citius Altius Fortius said:

Boa noite @DannyelBrazil

I had some great times in Brazil - the Games, the city of Rio, visiting you any your wife and the fur kids! You and Pat are amazing people, who made me feel home in Sao Vicente!

You left Hamburg?! Vienna is a wonderful city though, one of my favourite places I went, I'd love to go back with more time if the world gets fully normal again... :)

• 4 months later...
On 10/21/2021 at 1:46 PM, Citius Altius Fortius said:

Boa noite @DannyelBrazil

Glad to hear from you @Citius Altius Fortius

I'm now living in Santos and our home is still open for you and your significant other at any time you come to Brazil again.

Thank you for everything Martin!

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 6:21 AM, AustralianFan said:

Hi Danny

Welcome back.   It’s good to see you again here. 

I’m glad to hear of your wife’s recovery cancer.  Also I feel for your struggles with depression which is very real and widespread, especially excacerbated by external environmental factors like the pandemic on top of everything else.    Many are struggling with this/have struggled with this, myself included, and I suspect a significant number of older and newer posters on Gamesbids.com.

I hope your mental health gradually gets better so you gradually feel better.

I joined Gamesbids.com in 2012 and enjoyed your very much your posts on the progress and updates of Rio’s Olympics,

particularly venues and transport infrastructure construction and preparation.

In 2018 when I first got wind of Brisbane 2032’s plans I followed your lead from your many interesting and valued posts and updates about Rio leading up to the 2016 Games.

Like you I have found that there are some very nice level-headed Olympic fan posters on Gamesbids.com

Like you, I have found, to this day, there is a minority of destructive, negative idiots on Gamesbids.com who behave like children and are more interested in revenge and points scoring than behaving like an adult.

I too have upset a few along the way in the way I have posted and responded defensively and aggressively to some posters on Gamesbids.com 

Particularly in the last 6 months or so, where, here in Melbourne we are at 241 total lockdown days - a world record now - and I have at times responded/vented with disproportionate and negative, destructive responses against some.

But water under the bridge.

I can’t guarantee that I won’t just ignore the minority of loud idiots on here and  give back as good as I get - so a work in progress.

Anyway, it’s good to have you back and I wish you well day by day.  

Warm regards,

AustralianFan

I loved the Rio Games Ceremonies and the Games.

Unfortunately we won't change their minds... I was following a couple of travellers doing videos in Brazil and got really upset some negative people made their minds Rio is dangerous. It ruined their experience in the city and ruined my experience watching them...

They simply decided to enjoy the city without camera stuff and they said they had the time of their lives, but we will never see it because some morons convinced them the second most photographed city in the world is not safe for... Cameras...

I'm tired of it

I learned to just leave people miss opportunities because of morons. I can't change the world.

On 9/28/2021 at 7:07 PM, stryker said:

Welcome back Danny. I'll be looking forward to my first visit to Rio in the not too distant future as my family and I will be moving to Recife for work in November.

Enjoy your stay, try all local food you can and have lots of fun with Brazilians

You'll love it!