Tokyo 2036! Let's give them a 2nd chance!

30 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

But who can really trust the Russians?  

setting asside the dopping and boycott scandals, russia managed to organize 1980 olympics, 2014 olympics in a summer city and 2018 FIFA world cup across 4 freaking time zones, they're candidates to 2030 world expo and also st petersburg just hosted euro matches and will host in the next years uefa champions league final. You can tell they have experience organizing big scale events. Considering IOC almost don't care about their doping scandals I wouldn't discard them as probable host. Anyway, I don't think they will present a bid for this edition. Also considering this election would come after the hypotetical "Perfect" paris/L.A. sustainable olympics, I belive we have to pay more attention to bids like budapest, istanbul or even an african bid as new cairo or casablanca

1 minute ago, Chris_Mex said:

You can tell they have experience organizing big scale events. 

Oh sure, like grabbing Crimea (again) between the close of the regular WOGs in 2014 and the Paralympics in same -- before the whistleblower blew the roof off of the largest wholesale cheating chapter in sports history!  

17 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

setting asside the dopping and boycott scandals, russia managed to organize 1980 olympics, 2014 olympics in a summer city and 2018 FIFA world cup across 4 freaking time zones, they're candidates to 2030 world expo and also st petersburg just hosted euro matches and will host in the next years uefa champions league final. You can tell they have experience organizing big scale events. Considering IOC almost don't care about their doping scandals I wouldn't discard them as probable host.

Sorry, but this all goes a bit in the direction of “but Hitler built great motorways” line of argumentation.

As if anyone doubted Russia’s capability to organise big events…that’s completely beside the point.

23 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

Also considering this election would come after the hypotetical "Perfect" paris/L.A. sustainable olympics, 

Don't forget "perfect, sustainable" Brisbane, too. :P

23 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

I believe we have to pay more attention to bids like.. or even an african bid as new cairo or casablanca

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

If Tokyo was to host again (or any other locale with unbearable heat in July/Aug, for that matter), it would/should need to take place in October, like it was in 1964 (precisely to have avoided the scorching heat). The IOC needs to finally practice what they preach, in that "they have the athletes at heart". Time to think of them first for a change, & not solely the huge payday that they get from the broadcasters. 

• Like 1

The IOC could give Japan or, in this case, Tokyo the chance to host again at the next available Olympic year for free (no costs at all). I know that sounds farfetched and almost impossible but they could give it a try.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, PikyoK said:

The IOC could give Japan or, in this case, Tokyo the chance to host again at the next available Olympic year for free (no costs at all). I know that sounds farfetched and almost impossible but they could give it a try.

So in 2036, the IOC pays for venue refurbishments, road paving, security, a new village and even the meals served there? LOL.

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

I think if there is any consolation to Japan for taking a direct hit from COVID it could be the 2030 Winter Olympics. 

Part of the reason I was so dumbfounded by Agenda 2020 last year and Brisbane is that you would have thought when **** hit the fan with COVID and they deferred Tokyo they might have paused to give thought to awarding 2032 to Tokyo (even as part of a double awarding package with Brisbane getting 2036).

What is this bizarre fascination with Tokyo again hosting?  They just did last year.  That'll take care of at least one generation.  Even though they may have the venues, remember, it's NOT going to be that easy for a metropolis like Tokyo to find land for another OV.  Plus, I am sure the last thing Tokyoites want to deal with is -- another Olympic Games.  

12 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

I think if there is any consolation to Japan for taking a direct hit from COVID it could be the 2030 Winter Olympics. 

Part of the reason I was so dumbfounded by Agenda 2020 last year and Brisbane is that you would have thought when **** hit the fan with COVID and they deferred Tokyo they might have paused to give thought to awarding 2032 to Tokyo (even as part of a double awarding package with Brisbane getting 2036).

Yeah it's unlikely for Tokyo to host the 2036 Olympics since they already hosted it last year.

15 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

What is this bizarre fascination with Tokyo again hosting?  They just did last year.  That'll take care of at least one generation.  Even though they may have the venues, remember, it's NOT going to be that easy for a metropolis like Tokyo to find land for another OV.  Plus, I am sure the last thing Tokyoites want to deal with is -- another Olympic Games.  

Well in one part there's this olympic's fan in me telling me "Japan definitely deserved better", specially after hearing by a lot of people in my circles that thanks to this olympics "japan is boring and depressing", "japan shouldn't host anything again", ¨Japan is a hostile country towards foreigner, thats why they didn't allow spectators" so basically I feel like japan need another opportunity to tell the world "hey that was not the real Japan, this is the real Japan" . Anyway leaving feelings aside, italy is hosting the winter olympics only 20 years after they already did, china hosted the winter olympics 14 years after they did with summer, the us and australia 32 years after they host, so getting another japanese games in a 10/30 years ratio isn't a wicked out idea after all. And about the village argument, Tokyo is basically a city that has gained a LOT of land to the sea, they can do it again for an olympics if that's the only venue they need.

• Like 1

I think anyone with basic common sense should realize why Japan was "boring & depressing" with 2020ne. Global pandemic, anyone? As for anyone saying that Japan shouldn't host anything again because of it, sounds melodramatic. 

And Japan is hostile towards foreigners & that's why they didn't allow spectators? Really? Again, global pandemic, anyone? Are they saying the same thing about Beijing 2022 then? IDK who your circles are, but they sound like they like to stir the pot, to say the least, or have a severe case of inferiority complex. Or both.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FYI said:

I think anyone with basic common sense should realize why Japan was "boring & depressing" with 2020ne. Global pandemic, anyone? As for anyone saying that Japan shouldn't host anything again because of it, sounds melodramatic. 

And Japan is hostile towards foreigners & that's why they didn't allow spectators? Really? Again, global pandemic, anyone? Are they saying the same thing about Beijing 2022 then? IDK who your circles are, but they sound like they like to stir the pot, to say the least, or have a severe case of inferiority complex. Or both.  

Yeah - they're lucky it wasn't Australia in 2020 (hint: we would have just cancelled it). 

If I were a Tokyo resident and fan of the Olympics, I'd be really ticked off at how the 2020 OOC ripped down a big part of the legacy of the 1964 games (the National Stadium and its cauldron) and apparently weren't necessarily going to pull off a repeat of what historians/writers have described as a dignified, honorable event over 50 years ago.

When I read that one of the previous - eventually terminated - producers of the ceremonies wanted a famous Japanese comedienne - who's well known for doing an impersonation of Beyonce - to be nicknamed "Olympig," I could sense something wasn't going to add up right.

I noticed that one of the venues in Tokyo was even outfitted in a tarp that looked like the same purple color used for London 2012. I at first even did a double take and thought I was looking at highlights from 10 years ago. 

Polls showed a lot of people in Tokyo didn't want the games to go on. I don't blame them.

If similar circumstances affect 2028, I'd just as soon see them cancelled too.