Milan Cortina 2026 presentation

Since the Beijing 2022 Olympics are coming, what would you predict for the Milan Cortina 2026 presentation during the 2022 Winter Olympics closing ceremony. I would say I predict a Silk Road-themed presentation

I wonder what Italy will do for their handover. Given the current situation is most likely to continue in February, they'll undoubtly make a film handover like Paris did.

Despite the livefeed segment of Paris handover being a bit cringe, their video presentation was very professional in my honest opinion. Let's see how Italy surpasses it.

15 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Maybe a nice analogy: the Olympics will travel from China to Italy and then spread around the world like the virus did, or would that be too cynical?

Can always count on your cynicism, Stefan. ;)

Fun fact, that interpretation of the Italian anthem during the handover was very controversial in Italy back in the day with politicians who thought it was too much of a free adaptation of Fratelli D'Italia (the song was also used briefly during the transmissions of 2002 World Cup but due to controversy it was retired from RAI). I frankly don't see anything wrong with it. :P

In a similar way to Tokyo handover, but not as bad, I had lots of expectations for Torino ceremonies because of their handover. I don't dislike their ceremonies as much as I did back then but I still don't think they were my favorites from the 2000s (then again it was the decade of Athens and Beijing which are still unsurpassable ceremonies for myself).

• Like 1

I don't understand the dinosaurs lmao.

But I loved Torino's handover! They got a Milano style fashion show!!! And I love the turn of the millenium music ahahaha.

On 8/18/2021 at 3:22 PM, Anthony said:

Excuse the double post, but was SLC02 the first ceremony to use projection? Or were these just high tech gobos?

The dinosaurs were to give Donny and marie Osmond, the premier show biz family of Utah, something to do.  And of course, dinosaur skeletons are found in the SLC area.

Projections, as far as I can remember, the first use was in Atlanta 1996 Opening when they flashed images of Martin Luther King, Jr., and Pierre de Coubertin on the Zeus Temple screen.  

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 8:52 AM, Ikarus360 said:

Fun fact, that interpretation of the Italian anthem during the handover was very controversial in Italy back in the day with politicians who thought it was too much of a free adaptation of Fratelli D'Italia (the song was also used briefly during the transmissions of 2002 World Cup but due to controversy it was retired from RAI). I frankly don't see anything wrong with it. :P

In a similar way to Tokyo handover, but not as bad, I had lots of expectations for Torino ceremonies because of their handover. I don't dislike their ceremonies as much as I did back then but I still don't think they were my favorites from the 2000s (then again it was the decade of Athens and Beijing which are still unsurpassable ceremonies for myself).

Well I hope they play this version of the national anthem for the handover ceremony during the Closing Ceremony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUJxw6vj4q4

I'm guessing they'll include a fashion runway in the presentation and possibly a link between 1956 and 20206 to indicate 70 years since Cortina last hosted the Winter Olympics.

I also imagine the handover to look very much like the Torino handover but filmed in different locations across Milan and Cortina.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tbh, I'd love a symphonic version of Fratelli d'Italia.
Paris 2024 really nailed it with the class of their symphonic La Marseillaise. Also Italy loves their classical music so that would be a bonus on the cultural aspect of the handover.

Also I would imagine them getting Maneskin, the Eurovision 2021 winners involved buuuut, seeing as two of the male members, Damiano and Thomas kissed each other live on Polish TV (in a country that's becoming anti-LGBT), they could be highly controversial in China if MiCo 2026 chose them to perform.

Måneskin would likely be censored by Chinese TV. Sadly, I doubt they would be part of it, as fantastic as it would be.

They could bring Mahmood who finished 2nd in Eurovision 2019 and actually is from Milan (he has an apartment in that skyscraper that burnt the other day!), though of course he also would probably be considered too risky for the Xinese audience.

13 hours ago, Shiruba98 said:

Also I would imagine them getting Maneskin, the Eurovision 2021 winners involved buuuut, seeing as two of the male members, Damiano and Thomas kissed each other live on Polish TV (in a country that's becoming anti-LGBT), they could be highly controversial in China if MiCo 2026 chose them to perform.

OMG Yes! Måneskin! My favourites. Seems possible

13 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Måneskin would likely be censored by Chinese TV. Sadly, I doubt they would be part of it, as fantastic as it would be.

They could bring Mahmood who finished 2nd in Eurovision 2019 and actually is from Milan (he has an apartment in that skyscraper that burnt the other day!), though of course he also would probably be considered too risky for the Xinese audience.

They could also get Il Volo to showcase Italian Classical Opera. They finished 3rd in Eurovision back in 2015. If they want to go for a contemporary fun vibe they could get Francesco Gabbani who finished 6th at Eurovision in 2017.