Milan Cortina 2026 presentation

Hmmmmmmmm…

Okay, for me at least nowhere near as stirring as Paris’.

They seem to be playing up the “duality” bit, really overemphasising that it’s split in two locations.

Best part IMO was the end bit, with the William Tell Overture. But:

1: I associates that with Switzerland

2: Why Venice? It seemed to overshadow Milano or Cortina.

All a bit strange if you ask me  

3 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

2: Why Venice? It seemed to overshadow Milano or Cortina.

That was Luca Zaia's Macron-on-the-Eiffel-Tower moment. The region of Veneto is basically financing half of this. So they want to make the most of it, advertising their capital.

All in all the handover was as Italian as could be. A big mish-mash of too many ideas. Local patriotism. Heavily influenced by other ceremonies. Still was my favourite part of Friday's show, though.

6 minutes ago, munichfan said:

That was Luca Zaia's Macron-on-the-Eiffel-Tower moment. The region of Veneto is basically financing half of this. So they want to make the most of it, advertising their capital.

Okay, yet that segment also showed a big banner saying proudly sponsored by the region of Lombardy???

So where exactly is Passion going to live this time?

As much as I was disappointed Sweden didn’t get it, I have been looking forward to an Italian games. But now I’m starting to have misgivings about a spread out hotch-potch games.

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

Okay, yet that segment also showed a big banner saying proudly sponsored by the region of Lombardy???

So where exactly is Passion going to live this time?

As much as I was disappointed Sweden didn’t get it, I have been looking forward to an Italian games. But now I’m starting to have misgivings about a spread out hotch-potch games.

Lombardy is paying for the other half. So, of course, Fontana gets a big banner and a chinese sentence, too. :P

Passion will live throughout the dozens of municipalities, provinces and regions that are involved. In many ways, 2026 will feel more like a set of World Championships than an Olympics, though. Watching different sports on the same day will only be able in limited cases. If I'm going, it'll probably be some days in Antholz for the Biathlon and some in Cortina.

6 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Okay, for me at least nowhere near as stirring as Paris’.

Yeah, I have to say, after watching the replay again on NBC, it wasn't as dramatic as Paris'. Plus, Milan's also wasn't as long, so that also takes away from it a bit. The music was also more familiar, which we hear a lot when it comes to these types of presentations. So more of a "been there, done before" vibe. Whereas Paris' felt much more energetic & intriguing, & gave you more of a sense of excitement. So I'll have to re-evaluate & give Milan/Cortina/(Venice) a 'bronze' now instead.  

Why Venice? It seemed to overshadow Milano or Cortina. 

I thought the same initially, but then figured it was probably just their way of making it as "Italian" (or at least in a stereotypical sense) as possible. Since the mountains, or even Milan, don't really give as much of an Italian vibe as Venice does. Especially when it comes to geography, where stereo-typically, it's a category where you know many of us Americans clearly lack in! :-P 

4 hours ago, munichfan said:

Passion will live throughout the dozens of municipalities, provinces and regions that are involved. In many ways, 2026 will feel more like a set of World Championships than an Olympics, though. Watching different sports on the same day will only be able in limited cases.

This sounds like it's going to be an Albertville 1992 all over again, by being all over the fricken place. And that was the main criticism of those winter Games. And back then, it was also done to "appease" everyone in the region & make them feel as if they were all part of the action.

It's been discussed here in the past, that part of what makes the Olympics so special in the first place, it's the "world in one place" aspect of it all. That totally gets lost when you start to spread things too far out like this, & then all they become is just "separate world championships". The Olympic "atmosphere" starts to get very diluted then. And that's why the IOC pretty much after that, wanted to go with the most "compact" bid plan as possible. But now, after the dire predicament the (winter) Games find themselves in, under "agenda 2020/new norm/use what you already have" mantra & all, I think the IOC is going to find themselves back to square one after M/C 2026. If Corona is still a thing by then, though, guess maybe that won't matter much due to still social distancing anyway.

The other day, the media was complaining about the transportation issues between the Beijing 2022 clusters, & some even comparing them to Lake Placid 1980. And I would say, just strap on to your seats then, cause M/C'26 is going to be a VERY bumpy ride then in comparison, which will make them revisit "why exactly were we complaining back in 2022 for?"   

7 hours ago, munichfan said:

The region of Veneto is basically financing half of this. So they want to make the most of it, advertising their capital.

It's not like Venice is really lacking in the tourism dept., though.

It's not exactly like Stockholm/Are "are" exactly next door neighbors, either. But it does look like Milan/Cortina will probably take the gold in that category.

7 hours ago, FYI said:

The music was also more familiar, which we hear a lot when it comes to these types of presentations. So more of a "been there, done before" vibe.

I’m still puzzling over William Tell. This is Italy, it’s like they don’t have scores of other Opera tunes that sound more “Italian” that they could have used. Va Pensiero? La Donna e Moble? Heck, even Mambo Italiano at a pinch.

Edited by Sir Rols

On 2/20/2022 at 10:40 PM, Scotguy II said:

Loved the national anthem rendition, that diva rocked it. especially that si at the end.

Eh.  It's NOT the best exposure of FRATELL d"ITALIA!  It's a military piece -- a very robust march.  That violin and singing by a chanteuse really weakened it for me.  Listen to the Greek anthem.  It was robust.  FRATELLI is very much in the sasme genre -- so I thought that was a TOTAL FAIL.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 11 months later...
26 minutes ago, Bear said:

https://www.willmacneil.com/portfolio/winter-olympics-italian-flag-handover

a nice overview of the floor imaging used during the stadium portion of the handover

i don't remember this being part of the handover, though?

6eee203120c2e987.png?lossless=1&w=1920&h

f68a376620a344b6.png?lossless=1&w=1920&h

Neither do i.

1 hour ago, SportLightning said:

Neither do i.

yeah i just rewatched the handover, it's not part of it

just judging from these pictures alone and what we saw a year ago, it seems that it could have been an older version of the opening sequence, with the scene with the two kids pushing the globe replacing it some time later.