Milan Cortina 2026 presentation

They lost relevancy after Marco Balich left and made his own company in 2013. They still do some minor things like the Euro 2016 opening ceremony, but that's pretty much it.

https://youmark.it/ym-youmark/marco-balich-esce-da-filmmaster-events-e-si-mette-in-proprio/

https://www.balichwonderstudio.com/

• Like 1

So now we now who is going to open the 2026 Olympics, unless his term ends prematurely:

Sergio Mattarella has been re-elected for another seven years as Italian President (mostly ceremonial, but very important whenever a government is failing again…) at the young age of 80 (his predecessor was 87 when re-elected, though retired 2 years later).

Good for political stability in Italy - Berlusconi himself was an early favourite but then withdrew!

52 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

mostly ceremonial, but very important whenever a government is failing again…

Well, thank god that never happens in Italy :lol:

That voting system reminds me so of the conclave. Just misses the praying in between the ballots and the smoke.

He'll be 84 by the time. I think he'll withdraw and enjoy his well deserved retirement as soon as he sees a candidate who might be acceptable to both right-wing and left-wing parties - whenever that may be.

• Haha 1

If there's anything that handover's has taught us lately, is that we shouldn't get too excited about them anymore. Remember how brilliant the Tokyo 2020 handover was back in Rio 2016. Plus, with strict Corona restrictions in Beijing 2022, can't see the Milan handover being as good as Turin's (which I don't even remember anyway lol).

• Like 1

I think the era of in stadium handovers is finished for good tbh. Tokyo's was great but very much an exception, you can be far more ambitious in a recorded segment in your city (virus permitting) - not to mention showing said city off, which is kinda the point. Look at the scale of Birmingham's section of the Gold Coast Commonwealth closing (the good bit of it anyway)

47 minutes ago, munichfan said:

Balich filming in Venice makes me think if we'll see another video segment like Paris did.

Ah, yes. The Paris video handover was absolutely awesome! I'd already forgotten about it, though lol, but still remember it after the fact. But why is there filming in Venice for a *Milan* handover. :blink: As mentioned, if that's going to be done again, it should be of the host city itself. 

Just now, StefanMUC said:

Milan gets the opening, Verona the closing, Venice the handover, it's a way to please everyone in (Northern) Italy...

Didn't Venice once do a Tulsa and contemplate a Summer bid against all reality?

If I recall that correctly, they went against Rome for the 2020 Italian bid. And there are very few cities of Venice's calibre on this planet I see as equally unsuited for an Olympics.

I wouldn't rule out they will basically do a tour of the whole country, or at least the whole of Northern Italy. Handing everyone a slice of the cake (except Torino, of course!) has been the approach of this bid and the subsequent games from the very beginning.

• Like 1

Yes, they sold as a regional bid, so that has to be reflected in the handover too after all.

As I type, I'm watching the 2nd night of Sanremo Festival and apparently very late in the show tonight (tomorrow morning), they'll have a bit on 2026 (plus earlier one on Eurovison 2022, which after all does happen in Torino, so they got that over Milan and a few others).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

As I type, I'm watching the 2nd night of Sanremo Festival and apparently very late in the show tonight (tomorrow morning), they'll have a bit on 2026 (plus earlier one on Eurovison 2022, which after all does happen in Torino, so they got that over Milan and a few others).

Oh, good lord, I lack the particular patience one needs to get all the way through this event. It gives me the vibes of a full Wetten, dass..? edition every single night for a full week. Have fun, and if you like, give us a quick report afterwards of what they did concerning 2026.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Didn't Venice once do a Tulsa and contemplate a Summer bid against all reality?

From what I can remember, they were going up against Rome (& a couple of other Italian cities in the preliminary round, like Bari & Naples) for the 2020 domestic nod. So in that sense, Venice was still far more realistic than Tulsa ever was lol. Also IIRC, there was at least one Venice die-hard on here back then, claiming that their canal-city was absolutely going to be CONI's 2020 choice.

5 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Michael Balich seems to be his formal name but he is referred to as both Marco and Michael in different reports as well.

Marco is maybe a nickname from childhood that has stuck (?)

Hmmm.