GamesBids' Tokyo 2020 Opening Ceremony Live Chat (Paralympics edition)

4 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

Finally the fun-loving side of Japan in an opening ceremony in Tokyo - phew. :D This ceremony really feels like the joyous celebration that the Olympic opening should have been already, even in the light of COVID-19.

And it feels like a version (maybe cut down) of an original concept, rather than a grab-bag of salvaged bits.

1 minute ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

No wire-work at all in Tokyo. I wonder if it was planned and abandoned, or just "Nah, everybody flies performers on wires" ?

True, that caught my eye as well. And the "plane" leaving the projected runway was a copy of the Santos Dumont segment at Rio's Olympic OC, but still, I think it was nicely executed.

Just now, JMarkSnow2012 said:

The second ad-break on UK Channel 4. Presumably covering another clearance of the performing area.

You are missing the video montage of the Paralympic torch relay and a short ballet performance. Now the Paralympic torch has arrived at the stadium, the final legs of the relay start.

This was a very nice ceremony! It did not feel contrived, had a clear storyline, was never tacky - but, as I said, it exuded warmth, joy and optimism. The Olympic opening, on the other hand, was too pensive and too disjointed at times. This was the ceremony Tokyo 2020 would have needed right at the start of this Olympic/Paralympic summer, but better late than never. And now I'm curious how the German broadcaster ARD wants to fill the remaining one hour of its broadcast. :D 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PikyoK said:

I find it a bit offensive that they used a didgeridoo for the sound of a truck. Couldn't they use a timpani drum or something like that?

Yeah culturally that is certainly not appropriate if they haven't consulted with Indigenous folks here in Australia before doing that. 

That moment aside I LOVED tonight's ceremony. I think it struck a more positive, fun tone that the sombre / slightly playful Opening didn't quite achieve. It also felt much more cohesive and well constructed. 

Well done Tokyo. 

IT'S LIT!!! again!

I enjoyed it. It was definitely more happier than the Olympics. It was more consistent than the Olympic OC. I loved the costumes, the music and the storyline. Although the didgeridoo as the sound of the truck according to the commentators was a bit awkward it was quite creative. Although we are not sure of MIKIKO was part of the team it was very much similar to her tastes. I knew Tokyo could give us that razmatazz it always gives. So happy this was thought of. I can relax knowing Japan can put on a show despite external circumstances.

Great show!!!

2 minutes ago, PikyoK said:

I wonder who came up with the trend of having the Paralympic Ceremonies happier than the Olympic Ceremonies?

Definitely it was much better than the Olympics. We had previously watched Rio and Pyenongchang which were better than the Olympics, but it was arguable. This time, no need to argue: IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER!

Now we can strongly affirm that we saw in the Olympics had no justification. It was a complete lack of organization…. Now, they did it perfect!

17 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Yeah culturally that is certainly not appropriate if they haven't consulted with Indigenous folks here in Australia before doing that. 

That moment aside I LOVED tonight's ceremony. I think it struck a more positive, fun tone that the sombre / slightly playful Opening didn't quite achieve. It also felt much more cohesive and well constructed. 

Well done Tokyo. 

Can you give us a heads-up why that was not appropriate? I didn't even think of the didgeridoos as the sound of the truck, for me they were simply part of the music.

39 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

And it feels like a version (maybe cut down) of an original concept, rather than a grab-bag of salvaged bits.

I agree and i also agree with Olympian2004's comment too