GamesBids' Tokyo 2020 Opening Ceremony Live Chat (Paralympics edition)

1 minute ago, Olympian2004 said:

Oh, that was a wonderful video (the "We are 15 %" one). I burst out laughing, brilliant! But a funny transition now from this video to the formal declaration of the Tenno.

Maybe less funny in retrospect, given how brief the declaration inevitably is. The flag-raising has a sweetness entirely compatible with #weare15

I really like the overall tone of this ceremony. It's warm, it's inspiring, it's funny - and the music for the ceremonial segments is more contemporary than at the Olympic opening (unless they plan to do another "Bolero" for the final legs of the torch relay). They definitely do a better job tonight.

1 minute ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Maybe less funny in retrospect, given how brief the declaration inevitably is. The flag-raising has a sweetness entirely compatible with #weare15

Yes, I meant that it was strange that they showed that funny video ahead of the very formal declaration by the (inevitably) stiff and formal emperor. They could have shown the video also after the parade of athletes, for example. Or at the end of the ceremony.

I find it a bit offensive that they used a didgeridoo for the sound of a truck. Couldn't they use a timpani drum or something like that?