GamesBids' Tokyo 2020 Closing Ceremony Live Chat (Paralympics edition)

I am not saying Japan as hosts have done a bad job. They have done a fantastic job organising these games. All i am saying is that covid or no covid the ceremonies have been amateurish and pretty boring/bad as ceremonies go.  Nagano also was bad.

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but what I find really unnecessary and boring about ceremonies in recent years is that they have such "award show" elements. I am happy for the awardees, but it somehow disturbs the flow of the ceremonies, especially when the awardees or any other participants get the chance to give a speech.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Olympian2004 said:

@Scotguy II I guess that is very much in the eye of the beholder. I don't know where the Paralympic opening came across as amateurish and boring to you, especially with the cute story of the girl acting as the "one-winged plane", but there you go. 

Maybe i watched too many ceremonies on youtube during all of NZ's ongoing lockdowns that my expectations were too high. I have watched every ceremony from 1964 onwards so i guess i know what grabs my attention and what does not.

I think all 4 ceremonies have been amateurish compared to all of their predecessors. i am sure most members here would agree. just my thoughts though.

2 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

I don't know about you, but what I find really unnecessary and boring about ceremonies in recent years is that they have such "award show" elements. I am happy for the awardees, but it somehow disturbs the flow of the ceremonies, especially when the awardees or any other participants get the chance to give a speech.

Yes it does disturb the flow of the ceremonies- but they are ceremonies with an entertainment element, not entertainments with a ceremonial element

1 minute ago, Scotguy II said:

Maybe i watched too many ceremonies on youtube during all of NZ's ongoing lockdowns that my expectations were too high. I have watched every ceremony from 1964 onwards so i guess i know what grabs my attention and what does not.

I think all 4 ceremonies have been amateurish compared to all of their predecessors. i am sure most members here would agree. just my thoughts though.

Well, if you take a look in the live chats of the Paralympic opening and even the Olympic closing ceremonies of Tokyo 2020, not too many members seem to agree with you. And I find it really puzzling that you consider even a ceremony from 1964 which still followed a very strict protocol and offered no cultural segments at all LESS amateurish than what Tokyo put on display this time around.

1 minute ago, Olympian2004 said:

Even the German TV commentator seems to have a hard time following who gets awarded for what now. Not good. He even just remarked that this part is "like a brake for the flow of the ceremony".

Who cares.  He probably has not even bothered to open the Media Guide in front of him. 

I fully agree with you JMarkSnow2012.

they are ceremonies with an entertainment element, not entertainments with a ceremonial element”

1 minute ago, AustralianFan said:

Who cares.  He probably has not even bothered to open the Media Guide in front of him. 

I fully agree with you JMarkSnow2012.

they are ceremonies with an entertainment element, not entertainments with a ceremonial element”

Usually the German commentators are well prepared for the ceremonies and know their facts from the Media Guide, so I guess it was not entirely outlined in the Media Guide. Besides, I'd appreciate you hitting a less rude tone just for him (and me) pointing out an opinion. Thanks.