GamesBids' Tokyo 2020 Closing Ceremony Live Chat (Paralympics edition)

2 minutes ago, yoshi said:

All4 causing its usual problem with live viewing, so trying to follow the live text on the Guardian... which hasn't been updated for an hour! Even the thumbnail picture is of the opening, as the flame is very definitely not purple...

The flame definitely is not purple on the live coverage tho'

1 minute ago, yoshi said:

All4 causing its usual problem with live viewing, so trying to follow the live text on the Guardian... which hasn't been updated for an hour! Even the thumbnail picture is of the opening, as the flame is very definitely not purple...

perhaps it will change colour at a particular apt moment in the Ceremony.

From the article it is done via a colour additive …. I guess we’ll see  

Despite being 2021 Japan all 4 ceremonies have to be the most amateurish ever....

And i don't think covid is to blame.... it's the creative team changes and mess which if COVID never happened we would still be saying that.

the 2016 handover segment beats all of these. Even the 2019 RWC opening ceremony was lame to be honest.

Just my thoughts

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scotguy II said:

Despite being 2021 Japan all 4 ceremonies have to be the most amateurish ever....

And i don't think covid is to blame.... it's the creative team changes and mess which if COVID never happened we would still be saying that.

the 2016 handover segment beats all of these. Even the 2019 RWC opening ceremony was lame to be honest.

Just my thoughts

Cant really argue with that..... I remember Nagano ceremonies were a let down too. Japan has unlimited creativity, iconography and technology- it is a mystery.

From what the opening was, and what you're saying here, it is very plain to see that the Olympics ceremonies problems were caused by the dinosaurs at Dentsu rather than Covid alone. The Paralympics obviously managed to hold on to their creative teams and landed up coherent, unlike the Olympic mess. If only they'd held on to the original Olympic plans...

1 minute ago, Scotguy II said:

Just my thoughts

You’re comparing apples and oranges which is downright silly.

These Ceremonies stand strongly on their own feet with a Budget was drastically scaled right back due to Covid.

Not amateurish at all.  For a hugely CoVID impacted Games. 

Bravo Tokyo 2020, Bravo to the Japanese people!

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Cant really argue with that..... I remember Nagano ceremonies were a let down too. Japan has unlimited creativity, iconography and technology- it is a mystery.

yup - my thoughts exactly.... if any nation was to pull off spectacular memorable ceremonies during COVID it would be Japan but nope.

2 minutes ago, Scotguy II said:

yup - my thoughts exactly.... if any nation was to pull off spectacular memorable ceremonies during COVID it would be Japan but nope.

Tokyo 2020 and their Ceremonies stand on their own unique pedestal in their own right.

Its Silly, just Silly  to compare a normal COVID free Olympics and Ceremonies with these resilient tough SCALED BACK Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies.

Short-sighted, Self Righteous Armchair Critics

2 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Tokyo 2020 and their Ceremonies stand on their own unique pedestal in their own right.

Its Silly, just Silly  to compare a normal COVID free Olympics and Ceremonies with these resilient tough SCALED BACK Tokyo 2020 Ceremonies.

Short-sighted Armchair Critics

It would be interesting to know if those lo-fi models of Tokyo buildings were part of the original concept for the ceremony

Yes, the Tokyo handover at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games was stunning and raised the bar very high for the actual Tokyo ceremonies. But I think they made up a great deal for the disappointing Olympic opening ceremony at the Paralympic opening. I thought that was a really nice, happy and warm ceremony, definitely one of the best Paralympic ceremonies I ever saw. It didn't feel downsized or like a "stale afterthought" of the Olympic ceremonies, but let Tokyo shine in a much brighter light.

So far the closing ceremony is decent, I guess. I sadly was busy during the first artistic segment but now for the parade of flags, they use the same kind of funky and happy music as for the Paralympic opening ceremony, which seems to be very much in line with the start of the ceremony. And the part where the athletes put the mirrors on the Tokyo Skytree reminds me of the tree seeds the athletes brought along at Rio's Olympic opening ceremony. That makes me a bit sad, too, because it reminds me how hopeful I was looking towards Tokyo 2020 at Rio's closing ceremony. History took a different turn, sadly, but I must say that Tokyo did a good job as host country in those very difficult circumstances.

What is coming through clearly is the strong warmth and spirit of togetherness from the Japanese hosts, volunteers and athletes.

That’s more than worth it’s weight in gold over multi-million dollar high-tech Ceremonies that Japan would have staged if COVID was absent and they had their original budget.