Tokyo 2020: Your verdict

well, i was a supporter of the plan to cancel the whole thing so not sure what my verdict is worth. FWIW, i had somewhat realized that it would be unfair to the athletes to cancel them outright — though the oppressive heat and lax doping standards olympian was talking about are equally unfair to them.

one set of athletes i'm not pleased for, and who i resent heavily, are the ones in these so-called new sports that everyone keeps going on and on about. for years, i wondered why skateboarding wasn't in the olympics when snowboarding's been there since i was a kid.

it turns out that's because snowboarding is awesome and skateboarding sucks, is boring to watch, and the athletes just kind of bum around for a few hours and try to show off with tricks they may or may not be able to land at any given time. and don't even get me started on the fact that women's skateboarding is so underdeveloped, a pair of 13 year olds were judged the best of a very dire and decidedly un-olympic looking group of athletes. they should give back their medals and never attempt sports ever again, the whole thing is just so shameful. TERRIBLE athletes lmao the whole world was cringing for them, poor kids. go study STEM i guess. 

the less said about surfing and karate and even BMX park the better, though climbing was diverting enough i suppose, though i don't see why the meet took FIVE hours — an experience which put me off watching the women the next day. 

as always the best sport was not diving or archery (both excellent) or swimming (superb) or the track races (uncanny), but BMX racing. i feel bad talking about it because connor fields almost died lol but everyone loves that most exciting of sports and the only thing better than it is snow cross, which is well-established to be the greatest achievement of all of humanity since eradicating smallpox. 

and speaking of snow cross we get to see it in six months time in a country that keeps human slaves to work in its garment factories because they are muslim. so, nature is healing i guess.

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2021 at 12:57 PM, SkiFreak said:

Despite what is going on, a decent games. The Japanese managed to pull it off. Yeah, the spectators and fans were missing, but what can you do? I still have to find replays of a various sports CBC seemed to have passed by, like Equestrian. Didn't see one clip from Equestrian. Didn't even see surfing.

We got a six month break now, but who knows what's gonna happen in those six months with Beijing.

I was generally happy here in Australia with my home nation winning 17 gold, an equal record shared with Athens 2004. 46 medals in total is tied with Beijing.

Happy with Channel 7’s broadcast of the Games here with 2 OTA channels and every event streamed. Managed to see each sport at least once as well as the new sports. 

Ratings in Australia were up on previous games with up to 3.1 million Australians watching all or part of the Tokyo Olympics at home. 

are you telling me 6/7 australians didn't watch any of the olympics then?

not even emma mckeon kicking ass and taking names in the pool?

homegirl is missy franklin on steroids, except you know hopefully not.

OK so here are my thoughts about these Olympic Games:

1. Opening Ceremony - I did not have too many high hopes but gee were they dashed very early on. My least favourite ceremony. COVID aside, they were morbid, lacked anything spectacular and honestly looked like they were thrown together in 5 minutes by a group of amateur dramatic clubs and high schoolers, although I am sure they could have done a better job. Where was the technology, the spectacular projections and the simple yet stunning artistry. The parade of athletes seemed to take longer than usual despite only a handful of athletes marching in. The cauldron was cool, really liked its design and the way it opened up, I just hate that we didn't really see it again until the closing. I attended a wedding the next day and was mega tired as the ceremony here did not finish until after 3am. 1/10

2. Venues - First class, modern venues. Just a shame about the crowds however the aquatics centre and the velodrome had some atmosphere with the team members able to watch and support. The branding was meh. Nice enough but nothing major and at times just blandly blended in. I would have loved to have seen more of the pixel look that made up the logo in the branding and signage. 8/10

3. Sports - never fail to excite me. I loved almost every sport, especially nations who won their first medals. Here in NZ the main channel TVNZ1 had coverage every day from 10am to 6pm and then again from 7.30pm to 2am so i could see most sports plus SKY TV had 15 channels which I purchased so I could watch anything and everything. 10/10

4. Organisation - the games in general despite COVID seemed to go well and certainly from a sports point of view ran as normal. The big losers here were the people of Tokyo and Japan who could not attend their own games. The government of Japan are to blame for this as they are a mess with their covid response and vaccinations. there could and would have been crowds had the government not been so incompetent. 0/10

5. Closing Ceremony - A huge improvement on the opening however still bad. It again was all over the place like it had been hurriedly put together. Very confusing, and disjointed with that Japanese humour that no one else in the world understands or likes. The VR segment at first was cool, it made me sit up and think wow, then after a few seconds i was like oh that's fake and it went into a complete copy, very bad copy, of Beijing's star rings. The Paris handover was good, not great, but in the circumstances good. What made it good was it was a breath of fresh air from the morbid, sadness of the Tokyo ceremonies. it was bright, happy, modern, young and exciting. COVID is still in France and they have fared a lot worse than Japan, yet they totally showed up the Japanese government in only a few minutes of segment. 4/10

Overall despite the pandemic I very much enjoyed these games. Ceremonies aside, the sport was just fantastic and I loved everyday having something cool to watch.

Sayonara Tokyo

6/10

Oui Paris 2024

11 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

The government of Japan are to blame for this as they are a mess with their covid response and vaccinations. there could and would have been crowds had the government not been so incompetent. 

How exactly is that Japan’s fault? You know it helps when you have easy access to vaccines. Even with vaccines, I don’t think Japan would have been comfortable instituting a laissez-faire approach to COVID allowing for spectators. 

The right option would have been the postpone but no one wanted to do that. Heck, they could have last minute staged the games in Miami and with the laissez-faire approach in Florida, it would have been business as usual in said Olympics.

1 hour ago, MisterSG1 said:

Even with vaccines, I don’t think Japan would have been comfortable instituting a laissez-faire approach to COVID allowing for spectators.

I'm not sure that's exactly true. There was talk earlier in the year, after they'd (rightly) decided that there would be no international fans, that domestic crowds might be allowed. Obviously that was dependent on things like the vaccine programme going well. I don't know the exact circumstances as to why Japan has lagged behind other developed nations in this regard, maybe it's not their fault, maybe it is. But whatever the case, it didn't happen as some were suggesting it might. There was definitely a hope that there would be some spectators at all events.

Edited by Rob.
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MisterSG1 said:

How exactly is that Japan’s fault? You know it helps when you have easy access to vaccines. Even with vaccines, I don’t think Japan would have been comfortable instituting a laissez-faire approach to COVID allowing for spectators. 

The right option would have been the postpone but no one wanted to do that. Heck, they could have last minute staged the games in Miami and with the laissez-faire approach in Florida, it would have been business as usual in said Olympics.

They have fans at NPB games, so clearly the issue isn't allowing people into stadiums.  I get the Olympics are different where you're trying to bubble everyone off and limit people's movements, but they could have probably figured out a way to get some people in the stands. 

I don't see how you can not blame the government for not implementing vaccines earlier. 

The was no reason not to allow domestic crowds seeing that they were allow crowds in other sports the weekend before. They could have allowed for at least 50%, which is much less than some of the crowded baseball games.