Italy/Saudi Arabia 2030

stryker

• 3 weeks later...

Dont think we have to worry too much about this one. First of all, Italy is practically broke. They don't have the cash to invest in the numerous stadium upgrades needed to host a WC. Second, Budweiser is FIFA'S number one sponsor. No chance whatsoever they'd consent to a WC being played in a country with no booze. Heck, they are already being compensated by FIFA because they cannot advertise in Qatar and the only places where a cold one will be available will be at fan zones out in the desert.

30 minutes ago, stryker said:

Dont think we have to worry too much about this one. First of all, Italy is practically broke. They don't have the cash to invest in the numerous stadium upgrades needed to host a WC. Second, Budweiser is FIFA'S number one sponsor. No chance whatsoever they'd consent to a WC being played in a country with no booze. Heck, they are already being compensated by FIFA because they cannot advertise in Qatar and the only places where a cold one will be available will be at fan zones out in the desert.

I wouldn‘t put it past the Saudis to finance Italian stadium upgrades and go for the same booze solution as Qatar. FIFA would certainly bend over backwards if the argum€nt$ are convincing.

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

I wouldn‘t put it past the Saudis to finance Italian stadium upgrades and go for the same booze solution as Qatar. FIFA would certainly bend over backwards if the argum€nt$ are convincing.

I lived in Riyadh for two years. An interesting experience to say the least. IMO, there's no chance that alcohol will ever be allowed as long as the Al Sauds run the country. The country's clerics with their medieval mindsets still hold great sway. Movies and concerts are one thing. Booze is a red line that they will not cross. There was discussion about beer being allowed at the new F1 race in Jeddah (Jeddah is liberal by comparison to Riyadh) and it was a resounding no. It's not just the alcohol factor either. Gender segregation is still enforced at sporting events. Women still have to wear abayas in public (non-Muslim women are not required to cover their hair). Men cannot even wear shorts in public. I'm curious as to how Riyadh will handle the Asian Games. The organizers have said the games will be welcoming but still held within the confines of Islamic law. Those reasons alone I would think are enough to scare away FIFA no matter how much money the Saudis throw at them.

As for Italy, if they want another shot at a WC, surely they can find a partner that makes better sense logistically (perhaps France, Greece, some of the Balkan nations?)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Saudi Arabia could possibly make another joint bid with Arab neighbors Morocco and Egypt as a possible candidature to host the 2030 FIFA World Cup, but i do know Saudi Arabia is bidding for the 2027 AFC Asian Cup competing against India, IR Iran and Qatar.

16 hours ago, SportLightning said:

Saudi Arabia could possibly make another joint bid with Arab neighbors Morocco and Egypt as a possible candidature to host the 2030 FIFA World Cup, but i do know Saudi Arabia is bidding for the 2027 AFC Asian Cup competing against India, IR Iran and Qatar.

Won't happen for two reasons. First one is Budweiser is FIFA's top sponsor. No alcohol is allowed in Saudi Arabia. Even in Qatar where it is permitted, the only place in will be available for spectators will be at designated fan zones in the middle of the desert. And Budweiser is losing out on advertising money too since it is illegal to advertise for booze in Qatar. The second reason is timing. Any WC involving an Arab country would have to be in winter again and there's be an open revolt if the European clubs had to move schedules again. Italy wouldn't be able to host in winter either. It can get quite chilly in the likes of Milan and Turin.

Saudi Arabia has both possible joint bids with either its Arab neighbors Morocco and Egypt or with Italy. I still think the joint Morocco/Saudi Arabia/Egypt jpint bid is expected. But first Saudi Arabia is bidding for the 2027 AFC Asian Cup competing against India, Iran and Qatar, that's what they are bidding first.