New trend of the cauldron not taking pride of place in the Olympic Stadium really bothers me.

First I remember being bothered by London's cauldron not being visible from outside the stadium - and then Rio felt completely soulless because its ceremonies weren't in the track+field venue and the cauldron was moved to the waterfront. Now it appears the same thing as happened in Tokyo. 

What I love about the Olympics is that presence right there in the Olympic precinct. There is a majestic to this siting that I feel is kind of lost when you take it out of its context. I wish it would become part of IOC protocol that it must be within the athletics venue. Rant over!

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 1:22 AM, Australian Kiwi said:

First I remember being bothered by London's cauldron not being visible from outside the stadium - and then Rio felt completely soulless because its ceremonies weren't in the track+field venue and the cauldron was moved to the waterfront. Now it appears the same thing as happened in Tokyo. 

What I love about the Olympics is that presence right there in the Olympic precinct. There is a majestic to this siting that I feel is kind of lost when you take it out of its context. I wish it would become part of IOC protocol that it must be within the athletics venue. Rant over!

I completely agree with you. The cauldron seems to be less important each games. There is something cool and inspiring seeing it burn brightly in the stadium during the athletics stadium.

3 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

It is weird how the cauldron went from so prominent in Atlanta, Sydney, Athens and Beijing...and then just disappeared for 3 Games in a row.....

I agree, if you have a cauldron - lets see it! Stick it on top of a tower if you have to!

Yep - precisely. 
I understand that Tokyo had constraints with the wooden roof - but they didn't even place it to the side like London. 

Really disappointing and takes away some of the atmosphere that elevates the Olympics above an IAAF or Commonwealth Games. For all that the IOC carries on about protocol it seems like a really obvious oversight.

• Like 1

That's why you guys aren't on the IOC.  <_<   You gotta move with the times!   As for Tokyo, not only is the stadium wood-clad but remember, I think this is the most hemmed-in stadium by other buildings and structures.  And with the record heat of Tokyo, the IOC, TOCOG and the Tokyo gov't all deemed to best to retire the cauldron from the stadium and leave it out in the water.  

I think the cauldron’s have become too gimmicky. Don’t get me wrong, I think London’s, Rio’s and Tokyo’s were all beautiful. But I tend to agree with the earlier posters that they’ve lost their meaning a bit if they’re not designed to burn aloft over the competions going on at Games time. Just a simple bowl-shaped cauldron up high-ish at the main stadium would just mean more, IMO, than sticking an elaborate contraption in some out of the way location so people can do selfies with it when they go out of their way to find it. I’m all for moving with the times, maybe even a bit too iconoclastic at times, but they’re just a bit of an irrelevant glittering bauble now. 

• Like 2