GamesBids' Toyko 2020 Closing Ceremony Live Chat

2 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

lots of volunteers assist with running of the actual events too, not only spectator duties.  

Yes, I know. But of course, in the past, the volunteers who had to deal with spectators got the most publicity.

1 minute ago, Olympian2004 said:

Well, nobody will care after Paris has displayed its biggest flag ever. :D That creates bad vibes for me, though - it remembers me of Azerbaijan which has a giant flag at the Baku waterfront. I believe that one was the biggest flag so far even.

Freud would certainly have an explanation for all this.

Well, nobody will care after Paris has displayed its biggest flag ever. :D That creates bad vibes for me, though - it remembers me of Azerbaijan which has a giant flag at the Baku waterfront. I believe that one was the biggest flag so far even.

Big flags were done to death decades ago. That's why London 2012 relegated their cloths covering the audience to the pre-broadcast warm-up

The display of different regional or ethnical dances would have been more fitting at the opening ceremony, don't you think? That was the display of the host nation's culture that I missed during the opening (at least partially).

3 minutes ago, olimpicgamer said:

That last video reminded me of the extra work the volunteers had to do in covid deep cleaning, maintaining covid safe protocols, etc. They've done well. Again, I think we need to thank the Japanese for going ahead with these games!

Yes, although not going ahead would have been a disaster. Right choice, right time.

The display of different regional or ethnical dances would have been more fitting at the opening ceremony, don't you think? That was the display of the host nation's culture that I missed during the opening (at least partially).

Rio 2016 similarly emphasised regional cultures in their closing ceremony

1 minute ago, Olympian2005 said:

Didnt Sydney copt Barcelona with the big flag covering and then Athens copied Barcelona and sydney also

Well, Sydney copied Barcelona in that regard because both opening ceremonies were produced by Ric Birch, so he copied himself at least. Athens had no excuse, though.

6 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

I hope they have tested the force such a flag will exert on the tower! Especially if windy!

Just now, StefanMUC said:

I fully expect a spectacle where they pretend that all is fine with ethnic minorities, actually.

Yes, that will definitely happen, I guess. They already had a choir of their different ethnic and regional groups for the singing of the Chinese anthem in Pyeongchang's closing ceremony. The same old shtick, like in Beijing's opening ceremony in 2008.