GamesBids' Toyko 2020 Closing Ceremony Live Chat

Akishino, brother of the Emperor and first in line to the throne (because japanese sexists laws prevent a woman from being Empress regnant) will preside over the opening ceremony alongside Thomas Trash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ikarus360 said:

I see they didn't bothered covering all the stage and left some of the field uncovered. Entrance of the flag again feels like a funeral procession.

To me, that looks like a green carpet, that is not the real grass. As I wrote above, it's because the closing ceremony follows an "a day in the park" concept. I guess it's wiser to protect the grass because it will still be needed for the Paralympics.

1 minute ago, Palette86 said:

National anthem by Takarazuka.

So the rumours about Takarazuka taking part because of Paris are true. :lol:

Simple but alright rendition of the anthem.

Tokyo 1964 fanfare. And they straight away begin with the entrance of the flags and athletes.

Seems the closing ceremony will mostly be protocol. After the mess of the opening I dunno if being thankful or sad.

3 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

To me, that looks like a green carpet, that is not the real grass. As I wrote above, it's because the closing ceremony follows an "a day in the park" concept. I guess it's wiser to protect the grass because it will still be needed for the Paralympics.

I'm surprised that it's even a physical carpet rather than a projection!

1 minute ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

I'm surprised that it's even a physical carpet rather than a projection!

A projection would probably look not too good on the athletes that shall assemble in the "park" (according to the German TV commentators).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ikarus360 said:

Seems the closing ceremony will mostly be protocol. After the mess of the opening I dunno if being thankful or sad.

Not necessarily. Broadcasters will have set aside fairly generous slots (3 hours on BBC) so presumably they plan to fill most of it with ceremony rather than chat (fond though I am of Michael Johnson, even with grey hair)

1 minute ago, munichfan said:

I really liked the national anthem. Does anybody know why Naruhito is not there himself?

There was enough controversy with him being in the opening ceremony because of public contempt with the event, and Japanese people take his role as being an unifying symbol of the nation very seriously. He had to avoid using words like "celebrating" in his opening speech in a similar way how the mexican president did in 1968 because Tletaloco Massacre was just a couple of days before the opening.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Closing ceremony begins with a montage of some of the best moments of the games. I gotta admit it was a miracle we could still see good sport events, or events happening at all despite all the doom spelled.

Was that a local-broadcasters thing? We seem to be seeing the official CC montage now, after the entry of the flags.

Just now, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Was that a local-broadcasters thing? We seem to be seeing the official CC montage now, after the entry of the flags.

To me, the first highlights video seemed to be the official start of the ceremony. German TV broadcast it as well.