GamesBids' Toyko 2020 Closing Ceremony Live Chat

Indonesian broadcaster made an interesting comment bout the handover, apparently they gonna fly the flag again once the Olympic flag arrives in Paris? Can anyone confirm this?

5 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

And it also resembled the scoreboard at the Tokyo 1964 closing ceremony. I believe they displayed the word "Sayonara" back then at the end of the ceremony.

Gad to know i'm not the only one who understood that reference. It was a nice touch

sayonara.png

4 minutes ago, Olympian2005 said:

So the closing was so much better than the opening but still pretty boring despite covid. The Paris handover was the best part.

I think the best closing i have seen is Sydney followed by London and the worst just has to be Tokyo followed by Beijing

For me, the London closing ceremony is one of the great triumphs of streaming. So easy to skip over the worst bits and bask in the glory of the performers who leaned into the mood.

[Just don't watch it on YouTube with appalling Olympic Channel sound-mixing]

2 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

That's all for theOlympics, folks!!!!

See you next January for Beijing 2022 sneak peeks!!!

It's amazing that there will be another edition of the Olympic Games in just six months' time. It feels like 1992. :D

1 minute ago, Olympian2004 said:

It's amazing that there will be another edition of the Olympic Games in just six months' time. It feels like 1992. :D

Can‘t say though that I‘m really looking forward to that. Sports aside it will be a horror propaganda show.

Because of strong typhoon,NHk robbed me of precious 15 minutes without informing me that I had to change my channel.

My feed back:boring but better than OC.Sad about no drones.

An alright closing ceremony to these strange times. Who knows what's happening with Beijing. Will it happen in 6 months? Will it get pushed back? How many countries will boycott?

1 minute ago, StefanMUC said:

Can‘t say though that I‘m really looking forward to that. Sports aside it will be a horror propaganda show.

True, regarding the political aspect, I dread those Games, too. But Tokyo at least showed that even under difficult circumstances, one can still enjoy the athletic performances. At this day and age, it's sometimes sadly necessary to keep the bleak reality out for a few moments and enjoy the moment while it lasts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SkiFreak said:

An alright closing ceremony to these strange times. Who knows what's happening with Beijing. Will it happen in 6 months? Will it get pushed back? How many countries will boycott?

It's enough to be boicoted by the US, Canada, Germany and France... 

And then, things follow by themselves...

I hope a boycott. Chine deserves it, and no celebrations...

Just now, kevzz said:

Does anyone think in the future Paralympics should come first before the Olympics so give it more exposure and so it does not feel like the tail end of the party?

I've been wanting that for years. Always feels like an afterthought,

The reference of sayonara from 1964 was nostalgic and beautiful

The screen with the words, and only one high lighting on the stadium at the end made an intimate way to end the games. 

2 minutes ago, SkiFreak said:

If Japan's government wanted to pull through "their" Olympic Games, you can be sure that the Chinese regime will do the same. They have less reason to be cautious, anyway - Tokyo proved that it's possible to stage relatively COVID-19-free Games, and the Chinese people have a much higher vaccination rate already now than the Japanese. And I also doubt there will be any boycotts against the Games. Maybe some political dignitaries won't travel to Beijing, but I guess that will be all. As usual, the world shies away from incuring China's wreath by criticising its regime too harshly.

1 minute ago, SkiFreak said:

I've been wanting that for years. Always feels like an afterthought,

Now that the Paralympics are getting more and more spectacular and professional, they are not an afterthought to me anymore. In fact, I'm always glad now that not everything is over after the Olympic cauldron gets extinguished.

3 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

Now that the Paralympics are getting more and more spectacular and professional, they are not an afterthought to me anymore. In fact, I'm always glad now that not everything is over after the Olympic cauldron gets extinguished.

I think it will be refreshing. It will be great giving the Paralympians the first stage and then end with a bigger bang with the Olympics. 

5 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

Another comment for which I want to use up more than my quota of Likes!

1 minute ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Depends how it's presented. Channel 4 in the UK have been promoting the Paralympics as the main event since 2012

Very true! I will always remember my stay in London during the 2012 Paralympics and how amazed I was by how the Games were presented at Channel 4. "The Last Leg" as a humourous look back on the Paralympic day of competition was also a great way of presenting Paralympic sports in a more relaxed and less inhibited way.

If any of y'all don't give a damn about propagandas, The Chinese has their national games next month in Shanxi, IDK how the Covid conditions right there but there might be a bigger ceremony than the one here in Tokyo especially because ofc political celebrations happening there right now so yeah, those who don't care about propagandas might enjoy that one as much as the last one in Tianjin 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQnEDh16dL8