GamesBids' Toyko 2020 Closing Ceremony Live Chat

For me the Paris handover was the best since Sydney 1996. So fresh and hopeful in what has been dark few years. As a young athlete watching it i feel energised and excited for 2024, not bored and sleepy as i do watching Tokyo ceremonies

Just now, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Damn, that flame looks fierce!

I think it got far too little attention during the Games, it was hardly ever shown on German TV. And it's the first hydrogen flame in the history of the Games. They even had to add some chemical in order to create a red flame. That's why it looks different from previous flames, I guess.

But that was a nice moment, the closing of the cauldron.

Birmingham's handover show in the square was so good - I hope they do something similarly youthful and creative at the real opening - I'd love to see a major ceremony done in daylight hours (maybe 7pm start so they could still do fireworks at the end?) just to see what would happen, that proved you can still do a great show in daylight. Who actually did the Birmingham handover, the production?)

Yes, that's a nice gesture - mentioning the Paralympics at an Olympic closing must be a first, too. And it shows that Japan is taking those Paralympics really seriously. Kristina Vogel, former Olympic Champion in track cycling who is paraplegic after a training accident, said that she never felt as comfortable as in Tokyo. It seems to be a real friendly city for people with disabilities.

1 minute ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

"Arigato" taking us back to the Rio handover when it referred to the earthquake

And it also resembled the scoreboard at the Tokyo 1964 closing ceremony. I believe they displayed the word "Sayonara" back then at the end of the ceremony.

2 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Not necessarily. Broadcasters will have set aside fairly generous slots (3 hours on BBC) so presumably they plan to fill most of it with ceremony rather than chat (fond though I am of Michael Johnson, even with grey hair)

Oooookay. 40 minutes of airtime to fill on BBC

So the closing was so much better than the opening but still pretty boring despite covid. The Paris handover was the best part.

I think the best closing i have seen is Sydney followed by London and the worst just has to be Tokyo followed by Beijing

Quite an unusual ending to a closing ceremony - no partying, no letting your hair down. But of course, these are not the times for partying athletes. I feel sad, too, that Japan wasn't able to shine (apart from the quality of the Games' organisation and the performances of Japanese athletes). These Games truly had a potential for more, and so did the ceremonies. But there was a shadow cast on both - due to the pandemic and the controversies surrounding the creative team(s) for the ceremonies.

Here's hoping that Paris will get a bigger chance to shine. In the final analysis, it's "la ville lumière", the shining city - so it could become a beacon of hope for the three years to come. Beijing 2022 will still be difficult Games due to the ongoing pandemic and China's repressive regime, but Paris could mark (if we are lucky) a moment in time when more interaction with the general public and more spontaneity and joy are possible.

Once more, arigato Tokyo and arigato Nippon! Et bonne chance, Paris!