GamesBids' Toyko 2020 Closing Ceremony Live Chat

I actually think a cross over segment with footage in the next host works better than some tokenistic presentation in the Closing of another city (I can't think of a good one). 

I loved tonight's 2024 handover. It was optimistic, bold, and happy. Tokyo's ceremonies feel rather cold and I think this would have been the case regardless of COVID. 

I actually like handovers in the city. You can give a better introduction to the next host from the place itself than you ever could in a stadium thousands of miles away. Maybe the best compromise in normal times would be a two part handover with some smaller performance in the stadium, then a big show in the city, like Birmingham did. Anyway, sad for Paris that they couldn't do the flag properly but that was otherwise good for a video - nice to make the French athletes part of it too. Definitely can call appearance from the head of state as a new Olympic tradition - anyone for a surfing Joe Biden?

2 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

I actually think a cross over segment with footage in the next host works better than some tokenistic presentation in the Closing of another city (I can't think of a good one). 

I loved tonight's 2024 handover. It was optimistic, bold, and happy. Tokyo's ceremonies feel rather cold and I think this would have been the case regardless of COVID. 

I strongly disagree. Tokyo's handover in 2016 was superb, and if they'd trusted the same team for the 2021/1 opening ceremonies they could have achieved something truly special

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Phooey- I've run out of Likes for today, but I agree. the live segment of the Birmingham 2022 CWG handover was extraordinary!

It’s still one of my fave hangovers in any multi sport ever. Proves you don’t have to have big budget mega production to create a clever and inspiring performance. Made me have hope in British youth and their humour!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

I strongly disagree. Tokyo's handover in 2016 was superb, and if they'd trusted the same team for the 2021/1 opening ceremonies they could have achieved something truly special

Agree - but haven't enjoyed any prior. 

Sydney's in Atlanta sucked, as did Athens in Sydney, Beijing in Athens, etc...