GamesBids' Toyko 2020 Closing Ceremony Live Chat

1 minute ago, Olympian2004 said:

Another advantage of the pandemic (one of only very few): I guess that the parade of athletes will be a lot shorter than in previous closing ceremonies. I remember it took forever in Rio.

They're not exactly pouring into the stadium; maybe the idea is to make a smaller number of athletes fill the time allotted by broadcasters

2 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

Another advantage of the pandemic (one of only very few): I guess that the parade of athletes will be a lot shorter than in previous closing ceremonies. I remember it took forever in Rio.

also athletes entering from more than one entrance too to disperse them evenly in the different sections in the centre

I watched parts of the 1992 men's football final in Barcelona yesterday on YouTube, and for the medal ceremony, they simply announced the then-IOC president as "Mr. Juan Antonio Samaranch, International Olympic Committee". Our pompous a** Thomas Bach could definitely take a leaf out of Samaranch's book.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

I watched parts of the 1992 men's football final in Barcelona yesterday on YouTube, and for the medal ceremony, they simply announced the then-IOC president as "Mr. Juan Antonio Samaranch, International Olympic Committee". Our pompous a** Thomas Bach could definitely take a leaf out of Samaranch's book.

even jacques rogge was announced as just IOC President and he's an olympian. 4 times i think. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, olympiaki-agones said:

I'm curious to watch what Paris 2024 is performing. I want to forget this sad edition. 

Overall, this was not a blatantly "sad edition". Once again the Olympics have transcended doubts and fears (although Japan will be counting the cost for quite a while)

2 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

I'm just glad the US won the Olympics in the end. I was starting to losing it with all the CCP trolls online never staying quiet about it.

Really, was it that bad? I'm wondering whether the Americans even noticed that they were behind China in the medal table anyway. It's because in the US, they rather count the overall number of medals, I believe. And there the US were leading for the past few days already.

5 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

I'm just glad the US won the Olympics in the end. I was starting to losing it with all the CCP trolls online never staying quiet about it.

Per capita, the winner was apparently Grenada (population 112,000) followed by the Bahamas (population 390,000)

PS: Erggggh! Those rings are very virtual.