What's the deal with the Youth Olympics?????

2 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Having unaccompanied, 13 year old girls, travelling the world and participating in a very dangerous sport is a recipe for disaster.....that really should have an age limit of at least 16.

As you say there is the Youth Olympics.

But the winner is a home-grown kid who did even have to travel overseas. :blink:  So what are you talking about?? 

11 hours ago, Olympian2005 said:

Earlier today i was watching Skateboarding and two 13 year olds won gold and silver in the woman's event?

That got me thinking, why then is their a Youth Olympic Games?

Poor attempt from the IOC boomers to connect with younger audiences. :P

15 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Poor attempt from the IOC boomers to connect with younger audiences. :P

Others done that attempt before the IOC did:

*Gymnasiade

*International Children's Games

*SELL Student Games

*Universiade

*World Interuniversity Games

*Commonwealth Youth Games

*CPLP Games

The unwritten reality of the YOGs is they are for candidate cities that cannot host the big version. It gives places like Singapore and Buenos Aires who do not have the financial resources or infrastructure a chance to  say we hosted an Olympics. The IOC also used them as a way of saying "the Olympics are finally going to Africa" although we are seeing even the YOGs are well beyond the capabilities of a city like Dakar.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:22 PM, WD96 said:

Others done that attempt before the IOC did:

*Gymnasiade

*International Children's Games

*SELL Student Games

*Universiade

*World Interuniversity Games

*Commonwealth Youth Games

*CPLP Games

Universiade cannot be compared to YOG. Age range there is just like in the Olympics basically.

On 7/28/2021 at 4:42 AM, stryker said:

The unwritten reality of the YOGs is they are for candidate cities that cannot host the big version. It gives places like Singapore and Buenos Aires who do not have the financial resources or infrastructure a chance to  say we hosted an Olympics. The IOC also used them as a way of saying "the Olympics are finally going to Africa" although we are seeing even the YOGs are well beyond the capabilities of a city like Dakar.

Whats with this view you have on Singapore? You've mentioned it in another thread. It is so uninformed.

Singapore is a wealthy, highly developed country with a standard of living that probably surpasses that of the average American. 

5 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Whats with this view you have on Singapore? You've mentioned it in another thread. It is so uninformed.

Singapore is a wealthy, highly developed country with a standard of living that probably surpasses that of the average American. 

I lived in Singapore for two years. Great standard of living and the 2nd best metro in the world (still prefer NYC). Singapore does not have the sports facilities to handle the Olympics. Space is also limited. Great city though. Would make a great Asian Games host.

10 hours ago, stryker said:

I lived in Singapore for two years. Great standard of living and the 2nd best metro in the world (still prefer NYC). Singapore does not have the sports facilities to handle the Olympics. Space is also limited. Great city though. Would make a great Asian Games host.

I find it interesting that someone who "lived in Singapore for two years" would also say that it "doesn't have the financial resources or infrastructure to handle the Olympics". 

Strange.

2 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

I find it interesting that someone who "lived in Singapore for two years" would also say that it "doesn't have the financial resources or infrastructure to handle the Olympics". 

Strange.

You need to read more carefully. Good transport equals good infrastructure.  Singapore is a financial hub. I never said Singapore didn't have the financesor infrastructure. Doha also has the money. Even with all this, any actual talk of an Olympic bid briefly included Kuala Lumpur which I'd put on par with either New Delhi or Jakarta. Singapore would have to build quite a few sports venues that would leave questioner legacies such as a slalom canoe course, a velodrome, and at least one to two more 10,000 seat arenas. Then there's the football stadiums. Singapore cannot host a SOGs on their own. And their neighbors are third world countries which the IOC is clearly atearimg away from. Singapore with either Malsysia or Indonesia would have no shot beating either a compact bid from the likes of London, Seoul, Shanghai, or Madrid.

• Like 1