Russian city of Kazan interested in bidding for 2036

This makes much more sense if it were for a Winter Olympic bid, not a summer one (since Kazan is still only half the size of even Brisbane). And even then, the Ural mountains are quite far away from Kazan. So yeah, St. Peterburg is a no-brainer instead. 

47 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Nobody in the IOC should touch Russia even with a bargepole unless there are very significant changes to the current situation (and the doping issue would even be one of the lesser worries).

Exactly.  The ongoing arrogant systemic doping and unwillingness to make any reforms puts any Games in Russia as far away as ever.

I’m afraid that Kazan is deluded to think any Russian location might have a chance with the IOC.    A bit like the Mayor of Istanbul.

I dunno guys, this Olympics, Russia is prancing around the "sanctions" like an absolute joke currently, and the IOC seems to be abiding.  If there is no "tier 1" options like Madrid, London, a St Petersburg all a sudden becomes pretty tantelizing, doesnt it?

Yeah, really. Since 1996, when Russia was competing solely as Russia, the Russians have won between 56-68 medals overall at every Summer Olympics (with the exception of Sydney 2000 & Athens 2004, where they had more than that). The "ROC" right now has 18 overall medals at these Olympics, tied with host country Japan. So I don't get these so-called sanctions, either.

If all the IOC has to choose from next time is a bid from St. Petersburg, & from Indonesia, India, Qatar or Baku, they're gonna go with Putinville. Plain & simple. The 'not going to Russia at all costs' only makes sense if solid options from Western locations come forth. But most of us here know, that is much easier said than done, where the IOC & hosting the Olympic Games are being looked at as a toxic brand these days in democratic locales.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, FYI said:

Yeah, really. Since 1996, when Russia was competing solely as Russia, the Russians have won between 56-68 medals overall at every Summer Olympics (with the exception of Sydney 2000 & Athens 2004, where they had more than that). The "ROC" right now has 18 overall medals at these Olympics, tied with host country Japan. So I don't get these so-called sanctions, either.

If all the IOC has to choose from next time is a bid from St. Petersburg, & from Indonesia, India, Qatar or Baku, they're gonna go with Putinville. Plain & simple. The 'not going to Russia at all costs' only makes sense if solid options from Western locations come forth. But most of us here know, that is much easier said than done, where the IOC & hosting the Olympic Games are being looked at as a toxic brand these days in democratic locales.

Sums up my thoughts perfectly.

If a London, Madrid, Copenhagen, Houston, Chicago, Toronto, Rome, Boston, even Shanghai comes in, yeah this is all a moot point.  It will be one of them.  There only needs to be one.  Discussion over.

But some of you are selling the notion that there will not be one of them very short.  There is a more realistic possibility than you think that NOT one of them will enter in 2036.  Once that happens, we enter tier two (St. Petersburg, Istanbul, Budapest).  That will be ahead of Qatar, Baku, India, Indonesia, as previously alluded to.  

Personally, Im keeping my fingers crossed for London or Madrid.  They seem realistic.  If not......wellllll........  Hello Tier 2 and time to touch people with barge poles.  

I never said the IOC wouldn’t go for Russia, but they really shouldn’t.

Anyway, I doubt they’ll be busy locking 2036 in as early as they did 2032. Many things can happen in the next 5-7 years before this becomes concrete.

44 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

Sums up my thoughts perfectly.

If a London, Madrid, Copenhagen, Houston, Chicago, Toronto, Rome, Boston, even Shanghai comes in, yeah this is all a moot point. 

Of that list, though. You can probably forget about Chicago, Boston & Rome, all very NOlympic-centric TBW. Madrid would be iffy if Barcelona is really serious about their Winter Olympic bid instead. And the same can be said about Toronto depending on what happens with another Vancouver winter bid. The Summer Olympics of the 21st Century seem like an overreach for Copenhagen. And Houston is so hot & humid in the summer. Plus, can we really see another U.S. Summer Games so soon after L.A. 2028, & particularly with a Texan city? That seems iffy, too. Even against an Istanbul, Budapest or St. Petersburg.

54 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

If not......wellllll........  Hello Tier 2 and time to touch people with barge poles.  

:lol:

18 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

I never said the IOC wouldn’t go for Russia, but they really shouldn’t.

The IOC really shouldn't do a lot of things, though. But unfortunately, that is their MO a lot of the time.

1 hour ago, FYI said:

Of that list, though. You can probably forget about Chicago, Boston & Rome, all very NOlympic-centric TBW. Madrid would be iffy if Barcelona is really serious about their Winter Olympic bid instead. And the same can be said about Toronto depending on what happens with another Vancouver winter bid. The Summer Olympics of the 21st Century seem like an overreach for Copenhagen. And Houston is so hot & humid in the summer. Plus, can we really see another U.S. Summer Games so soon after L.A. 2028, & particularly with a Texan city? That seems iffy, too. Even against an Istanbul, Budapest or St. Petersburg.

:lol:

Yeah I was mostly making all of those rhetorical, but it re-enforces the point of how daunting the task is. 

Spain would be well advised to completely punt on the Barcelona 2030 thing if they want Madrid, but.........seems like theyre gonna make a push for it regardless of harm to a summer bid.  But would it even hurt a summer bid at this point anymore?  Pre "reforms", it might have, but now?  I dont see why not.

North America, besides Los Angeles, does not seem keen at all. to this (Perhaps maybe a Texas city?  I could see Dallas or Austin making an ambitious play down the road.  Especially Austin).  

London really, really needs to be our hero.

Otherwise St Petersburg or......yet another......Chinese olympics could be enticing for the IOC

17 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

Spain would be well advised to completely punt on the Barcelona 2030 thing if they want Madrid, but.........seems like theyre gonna make a push for it regardless of harm to a summer bid.  But would it even hurt a summer bid at this point anymore?  Pre "reforms", it might have, but now?  I dont see why not.

While I agree with the initial premise here, the other, & probably bigger issue at hand though, is whether or not Spain can do both. And with it's current economic difficulties ATM, they have to pick one or the other, but not both. At least not back-to-back anyway. Many like to blame Brazil's economic woes on it's 2016 Olympics. But many here seem to forget that they also hosted the 2014 World Cup just two years prior. I think the two combined so close together was their problem, rather than just the 2016 Olympics themselves. Only very few countries can pull off back-to-back mega events like that in the best of times, let alone not in the most ideal conditions.

25 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

North America, besides Los Angeles, does not seem keen at all. to this (Perhaps maybe a Texas city?  I could see Dallas or Austin making an ambitious play down the road.  Especially Austin).  

Yeah, it's precisely why we wound up with L.A. 2028 TBW. Pretty much by default. The Boston 2024 bid was a total trainwreck. I think Texas would probably be one of the very few other areas in the U.S. that wouldn't be so NOlympic. But to that end, the only option there would be Dallas. That would be Texas' best foot forward. And even then, it'd be an iffy contest in the international arena. Unless of course, their sole competitors are "tier 3" despots.

31 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

London really, really needs to be our hero.

IDK - as good as London 2012 was, it should really be tried with another place in the U.K. Maybe Manchester, Birmingham or even Glasgow should be the next attempt.

• Like 1

Glasgow gets interesting because Scotland could very realistically be an independent country by then.  Heck, they could be an independent country within the next two years.  I could see the angle of "what better way to show our independence as a nation than hosting our own Olympics?"  Could an independent Scotland swing that?  I don't see why not.

Madrid is dicey from the financial standpoint for sure, but..........Im of the mindset they could get it to work for them.  Wouldnt exactly be fighting anyone with a counterpoint though because it is a very valid counterpoint.  

The United States........besides Los Angeles, I am thinking its gonna be a Dallas, Nashville, Charlotte if it ever comes back.  Somewhere hot and humid like Atlanta.  The ego of Dallas and Texas in general feels like theyll eventually put in a bid.  As much as Id love it here in Seattle, I dont see that happening (BIG NOlympics vibes here). 

Meh, Charlotte & Nashville are too Atlanta-like, especially from an international perspective (like the IOC). And Nashville in particular, is very much on the smallish side, smaller than even Brisbane. So they'd have to spread a lot of events far out anyway. After L.A. 2028, it really should be a region of the country that hasn't hosted before, or hasn't hosted in a very, very long time, like the Northeast or Midwest. But unfortunately, much of those regions are very NOlympic territory these days.

That said though, 20 years ago, Minneapolis/St. Paul would've been a non-starter. But 20 years from now, it could be a different story altogether. It's has grown quite a bit in the last couple of decades (even larger, metro wise, than Brisbane is now), with many new facilities in place, & will only continue to grow even more in the next couple of decades. Phoenix also seems like another probable candidate. Another very large region that might want to "prove something to the world". Other than those possible three cities/regions, I don't see anywhere else in the U.S. at this point in time, that would have the appetite & stomach for such a huge project like a Summer Olympic bid, & then to actually host them.

3 hours ago, FYI said:

Meh, Charlotte & Nashville are too Atlanta-like, especially from an international perspective (like the IOC). And Nashville in particular, is very much on the smallish side, smaller than even Brisbane. So they'd have to spread a lot of events far out anyway. After L.A. 2028, it really should be a region of the country that hasn't hosted before, or hasn't hosted in a very, very long time, like the Northeast or Midwest. But unfortunately, much of those regions are very NOlympic territory these days.

That said though, 20 years ago, Minneapolis/St. Paul would've been a non-starter. But 20 years from now, it could be a different story altogether. It's has grown quite a bit in the last couple of decades (even larger, metro wise, than Brisbane is now), with many new facilities in place, & will only continue to grow even more in the next couple of decades. Phoenix also seems like another probable candidate. Another very large region that might want to "prove something to the world". Other than those possible three cities/regions, I don't see anywhere else in the U.S. at this point in time, that would have the appetite & stomach for such a huge project like a Summer Olympic bid, & then to actually host them.

Fair and reasonable rundown.  I remember that deep south heat, not a fun time.  And Tokyo is apparently even worse in that regard.  

I dont see Minny/St Paul happening.  That Vikings stadium was a freaking saga and a political bloodbath.  That took a LOT of coersion and threats of moving to get done.  Its a freaking thing of beauty now that its done, but I think Minnesotans think an event that is going to require even more stadiums to be the stuff of nightmares.

If there were to be an American city to do it again, I'd hang my hat on Dallas.  They also have a big "something to prove" mentality because........Texas.  Will it be hot?  It will sure be humid too, but it wont be as repulsively humid as Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, the like.  Can be mitigated slightly by orchestrating events in morning/evening.  The thing with that is, I think Texans would literally rather spend that money on the Trump Wall than the Olympics, and that is not even an exaggeration.  It doesnt look good in America after loss angeles, and Europe is gonna be a tough egg to crack too, and thats why St Petersburg , Istanbul, and Kazan smell blood (there, self-made threadjack over, back on track).  

54 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

I remember that deep south heat, not a fun time.  And Tokyo is apparently even worse in that regard.  

That's why the Tokyo 1964 Olympics were held in October. But that's a whole other topic that would further derail this thread. Although, everything that could've been said about Kazan has already been said. Which wasn't much TBW.

57 minutes ago, iceman530 said:

I dont see Minny/St Paul happening.  That Vikings stadium was a freaking saga and a political bloodbath.  That took a LOT of coersion and threats of moving to get done.  Its a freaking thing of beauty now that its done, but I think Minnesotans think an event that is going to require even more stadiums to be the stuff of nightmares.

If there were to be an American city to do it again, I'd hang my hat on Dallas.  They also have a big "something to prove" mentality because........Texas. The thing with that is, I think Texans would literally rather spend that money on the Trump Wall than the Olympics, and that is not even an exaggeration.  It doesnt look good in America after loss angeles, and Europe is gonna be a tough egg to crack too, and thats why St Petersburg , Istanbul, and Kazan smell blood (there, self-made threadjack over, back on track).  

Then there goes the final three U.S. cities. Probably can factor in Arizona too with rather spending the money on a 'trump wall' than on an Olympics, if their "voting reforms" are anything to go by. They'd probably want to build one along the California border as well. :-/

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Is this a joke- 'Russia' is not even allowed to compete at the Olympics at the moment. The IOC swill never forget how Russia corrupted the whole Sochi Games....

Too much faith in the IOC.

”Russia” is not allowed to compete, but they just laugh it off:

I’m sure Bach will soon confirm that his friend Vlad has taken all necesary measures to reinstate Russia fully and that there’s no problem with a 2036 bid. Hell, why not throw another WG in as well. Sochi has it all.

yeah anyone who thinks Bach or the IOC is done with Russia is straight up delusional.  They are on the level of FIFA.  No honor amongst thieves, and such.  This is the IOC we are talking about guys, them and Putin get along like peas and carrots.  They're birds of a feather.  They flock together.  

Judging by whats happening at this Olympics, Russia will soon be re-instated, and therefore, able to bid for a games.  and if no European city steps up to the plate, you know Russia is going to look pretty dang enticing to them.

11 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Is this a joke- 'Russia' is not even allowed to compete at the Olympics at the moment. The IOC swill never forget how Russia corrupted the whole Sochi Games....

The slate is being wiped clean, literally, as we speak in their minds.  I'm not pro Russia.  I am red-teaming as the IOC sees this.  ROC goes through the Olympics as they are, it shows all bans will be lifted no later than the end of the Beijing Olympics, and theyll be allowed to table a bid again.  Putin's Russia is too enticing, and the IOC is enticing for Russia.

“ROC” has over 50 medals now at these Olympics. On par with performing at any other Olympic Games. So what “punishment” have they so-called received by the IOC, besides nothing really.