BidWeek: Tokyo 2020 Opening Ceremony unfocussed, uninspiring, but perfect

GBModerator

BidWeek – How do you remember, honor and celebrate so many different things at the opening of the largest, yet most isolating sports event in history?  Very awkwardly, Tokyo 2020 organizers learned Friday as the Olympic Games opened after a one year postponement. Add some pandering to the large portion of the Japanese public who didn’t […]

The post BidWeek: Tokyo 2020 Opening Ceremony unfocussed, uninspiring, but perfect appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

• Literally everyone with actual talent and prestige in Japan decided to distance from this when it became obvious the japanese populace despised the idea of hosting this event (Mikiko, Nintendo, etc. )
  • Doing mass, good quality choreographies requiered having a lot of people working together, which was a risk because of Covid, also because the Japanese government was dumb as hell and decided to do their own vaccine trials which led to less than 20% of people being vaccinated.
  • Whole ceremonies team had no idea of what to do and Mansai Nomura who had zero experience into actual massive shows like this was hired for the job.
  • Lots of members of the team getting Cancelled and/or resigning in the previous months, which totally didn't led to a lot of segments being rewritten, added and/or changed at literally last second.

Yeah. All of these things honestly could only lead to the disastrous result we saw tonight. So much for the myth of Japanse flawless organization.

2 hours ago, iceman530 said:

Theyll be exclusively from China

Actually I expect China to take a page from Qatar. Full venues but all spectators and athletes will have to be fully vaccinated. I also expect depending on how the pandemic is in February we could see mandatory two week quarantines for some athletes in the Olympic Village. The IOC might oppose this but China can call their own shots on covid protocols and they know there's not a thing the IOC or anyone else can do about it. Much like Qatar has pretty much told FIFA how they will run next year's WC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 7:33 AM, stryker said:

Actually I expect China to take a page from Qatar. Full venues but all spectators and athletes will have to be fully vaccinated. I also expect depending on how the pandemic is in February we could see mandatory two week quarantines for some athletes in the Olympic Village. The IOC might oppose this but China can call their own shots on covid protocols and they know there's not a thing the IOC or anyone else can do about it. Much like Qatar has pretty much told FIFA how they will run next year's WC.

There will be full stadiums and no one on the  Chinese side will care. What is the last you heard about any from in China lately? It will be a non issue. 

I doubt there will be any quarantines.  They will be happy to have the athletes not wandering around Beijing. 

Definitely one of the major points of pride going around in Chinese media for the past year has been the effectiveness of the Chinese government's COVID response. I think generally, the general public trusts the gov to be able to balance hosting a large scale event with health measures. That being said, based on China's COVID response, they aren't afraid of imposing quarantines and other strict requirements very quickly so I do believe there is going to be something of sequestering going on.

Perhaps they'll take a page out of Tokyo's book and take it a step further; have athletes and visitors contained in certain zones around the city, but have these zones also include hotels, shops, restaurants, etc. I know some Chinese cities barricaded neighborhoods for mass disinfecting and testing every now and then, so this might not be too implausible of an idea.