Jump to content

GamesBids' Toyko 2020 Opening Ceremony Live Chat


Recommended Posts

On a positive not, it was pleasing to see all the stupid racists in certain sites (*cough*4chan*cough*) getting triggered for Naomi Osaka being the final torchbearer. :rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a feeling that the cauldron lighting may have been devised pre-pandemic. Seemed very cohesive and refined. The Mt. Fuji reference works. The sun flowering into that towering flame. Restrained, but beautiful. More successful than Nagano I think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, alphamale86 said:

I know half of y'all pissed. Now I know Naomi isn't the most flashy person. and the way they did it was made lackluster.  

 

This is going to be an unpopular opinion but the saving grace of all of this is that Beijing will be doing the next opening ceremony in about 7 months  and we will definitely be in for a show then.  Say what must be said politically but they're the best ones to follow this mess

Beijing, Chengdu, Hangzhou, 3 possible mega ceremonies in one year. 2022 might gonna be a huge party for China

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To the newbies here, it's pretty much the "hot" athlete of the moment -- Olympian or not; but possibly ascending into an Olympic medal spot.  So please don't start posting the Paris 2024 lighter this early in the process!! 

But really, sock puppets as Godzilla and Mothra would have been alot more exciting!! 

Athensfan, I only saw your IDIOTIC post via someone else.  Still around?  F*CK YOU!! 

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This has been too much disappointing 

Any segment was solid, the drones used just some minutes, they used Imagine when they could have use Hana Wa Saku. 

I didn't expect see a gundam or mario or pikachu, but even japanese cultural wasn't shown in an appropriate way. 

 

My score is 5/10

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, WD96 said:

I missed the beginning, did they go for the original plan?

Nope lol. Very heavily toned down/punished show. The worst in a long long time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well,when one's had to postpone their big party due to a global pandemic, & spend loads of cash just to get it off the ground a year later, & make all sorts of concessions & alterations to their plans, let's see how anyone could really put on a big, masterpiece show after all of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Beijing, Chengdu, Hangzhou, 3 possible mega ceremonies in one year. 2022 might gonna be a huge party for China

And i won't watch any of them. While Japan had a year to prepare for this and they also crapped the bed really hard with this terrible ceremony, nothing of this would had happened if it wasn't by China. I don't care how bombastic they make them. If anyone has dignity they shouldn't watch whatever they do next february.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My final verdict: Not wonderful, but pleasant. The "gentle and welcoming" tone was achieved. The drones were magical. The pictographs were quirky. The cauldron was serene and beautiful. It is too bad there wasn't a more cohesive, mature artistic vision -- a la Papaioannou (my hero) -- but for pandemic Games delayed by a year, it's not a bad beginning. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FYI said:

Well,when one's had to postpone their big party due to a global pandemic, & spend loads of cash just to get it off the ground a year later, & make all sorts of concessions & alterations to their plans, let's see how anyone could really put on a big, masterpiece show after all of that.

I think Zhang Yimou will still surprise us in February!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

To the newbies here, it's pretty much the "hot" athlete of the moment -- Olympian or not; but possibly ascending into an Olympic medal spot.  So please don't start posting the Paris 2024 lighter this early in the process!! 

But really, sock puppets as Godzilla and Mothra would have been alot more exciting!! 

Athensfan, I only saw your IDIOTIC post via someone else.  Still around?  F*CK YOU!! 

walking away.....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know they didnt want to upset the Japanese people by putting on a huge, flashy, happy show...I wonder if people will be upset by presenting such a poor show instead?

One of the worst things (among many) was the lighting....the performers performed in a static bright white light...the whole field of play was brightly lit the whole time...the stands were brightly lit so you could see they were empty etc...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FYI said:

Well,when one's had to postpone their big party due to a global pandemic, & spend loads of cash just to get it off the ground a year later, & make all sorts of concessions & alterations to their plans, let's see how anyone could really put on a big, masterpiece show after all of that.

Amen. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ikarus360 said:

And i won't watch any of them. While Japan had a year to prepare for this and they also crapped the bed really hard with this terrible ceremony, nothing of this would had happened if it wasn't by China. I don't care how bombastic they make them. If anyone has dignity they shouldn't watch whatever they do next february.

See you at the 2 Birminghams then, not that either of them will be grand imho

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Yup, I think the 2022 Winter OC will really go for it with the drones

I don't think so.  Birds Nest Stadium is ever more enclosed than Tokyo's.  It will be a little difficult to do that; and Yimou's forte is mass spectacle -- NOT so much technical wizardry.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...