GamesBids' Toyko 2020 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

1 minute ago, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

Honestly, agree. I have been so disappointed with Tokyo and Japan. Next to no history acknowledgement in the ceremony, no pop culture. The 3 minute handover at Rio with then Prime MInister Shinzo Abe in the Mario hat was better than this entire ceremony. 

Man extremely disappointed but I get it, they had to change it up. I doubt with all my ability to doubt that this is what they would have given us if covid wasn't apart of the setting.

• Like 1

You're an IOC prez, not a tech man showcasing their new phone or laptop or some ****, don't act as if you're in Apple, Bach-ass

6 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

How can the Japanese with a culture of Taiko Drums, Samurai, Godzilla, Pikachu, Anime come up with crap like this?

Well, there are a couple things to keep in mind.

1.) No one has EVER had to figure out how to stage a ceremony in such bizarre conditions. A year late, no spectators, social distancing, a world that's unified in its isolation from itself.

2.) For the last two years it really hasn't been clear what the final conditions would be. How do you prepare when you don't know what exactly you're preparing for? When you can't really rehearse? It's not surprising to me that the most successful parts of the ceremony (projections, drones) are technological and could be planned and rehearsed during social isolation. 

3.) There has been a great deal of tumult and turnover with the creative leadership for these ceremonies. That compounded the aforementioned problems. In addition to changing circumstances, their was a constantly changing vision and direction. 

In summary, I don't think it's fair to be super critical of Tokyo 2020. Japan is offering an amazing gift to the world by following through on staging these Games. If the US had been hosting in 2020 I'm not sure we would've handled any of this so well. The IOC should be kissing Japan's feet for a long time to come. 

Incidentally, I think Japan WILL host again. I'm not sure when. But I think most people -- including Japanese nationals -- will accept that it was the pandemic more than anything else that created their problems. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, alphamale86 said:

Man extremely disappointed but I get it, they had to change it up. I doubt with all my ability to doubt that this is what they would have given us if covid wasn't apart of the setting.

Definitely, we saw the promise at the handover in Rio. I just don't understand why they had to completely ignore their own history. This has just been so bland and boring and not because there's no crowd. 

It has been so bad so far that even a great lighting cauldron ceremony would not save it. Which I doubt will be judging by that Mount Fuji like thing on the stage. Think it will be just a simple lighting, hope it won't be worse by having Naomi Osaka doing it.

1 minute ago, Athensfan said:

1.) No one has EVER had to figure out how to stage a ceremony in such bizarre conditions. A year late, no spectators, social distancing, a world that's unified in its isolation from itself.

2.) For the last two years it really hasn't been clear what the final conditions would be. How do you prepare when you don't know what exactly you're preparing for? When you can't really rehearse? It's not surprising to me that the most successful parts of the ceremony (projections, drones) are technological and could be planned and rehearsed during social isolation. 

3.) There has been a great deal of tumult and turnover with the creative leadership for these ceremonies. That compounded the aforementioned problems. In addition to changing circumstances, their was a constantly changing vision and direction. 

In summary, I don't think it's fair to be super critical of Tokyo 2020. Japan is offering an amazing gift to the world by following through on staging these Games. If the US had been hosting in 2020 I'm not sure we would've handled any of this so well. The IOC should be kissing Japan's feet for a long time to come. 

Incidentally, I think Japan WILL host again. I'm not sure when. But I think most people -- including Japanese nationals -- will accept that it was the pandemic more than anything else that created their problems. 

This shows why the Games should be cancelled in the very first place. It's not fair to the Japanese to host in such situation. IOC has been very selfish and unkind to the Japanese organising committee. 

16 minutes ago, Athensfan said:

Come on, Covid aside this has been awful. Where's the pop culture references? We had Shinzo Abe dressed as Mario at the handover in Rio 2016. I haven't seen anything fun or culturally fun so far. I've seen barely anything about Japanese history, I would've loved to see so much more about Tokyo 1964. Instead it's been this bland, stale piece of bread show. 

If Dakar can delay the YOG to 2026, there's should be no reason why Japan should get a normal Olympics instead of this shitshow

1 minute ago, kevzz said:

This shows why the Games should be cancelled in the very first place. It's not fair to the Japanese to host in such situation. IOC has been very selfish and unkind to the Japanese organising committee. 

52 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Just tuned it.  It looks unreal.  The Field Marshals' outfits are the DORKIEST I have ever seen!!  I hate the voice of that Savannah Guthrue!

I agree that the Field Marshals need a makeover. 

2 minutes ago, kevzz said:

Given the infighting of the organizing committee.

2 minutes ago, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

Come on, Covid aside this has been awful. Where's the pop culture references? We had Shinzo Abe dressed as Mario at the handover in Rio 2016. I haven't seen anything fun or culturally fun so far. I've seen barely anything about Japanese history, I would've loved to see so much more about Tokyo 1964. Instead it's been this bland, stale piece of bread show. 

I agree! This games should have been canceled...