GamesBids' Toyko 2020 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

Oh really? That's interesting then. I thought I had read in the past it was due to cost-cutting because the Tokyo 2020 Olympic budget was beginning to get out of hand. I didn't mind the original design either. Looked very nice in the renders.

The people want hated it, REALLY REALLY hated it.

Changing it was a big cost blowout - the original Hadid plan would have had it being built and up for the Rugby World Cup in 2019. Changing it meant it couldn’t be ready for that - so the final went to Yokohama and the costs couldn’t be defrayed with that event at all.

Wow, so changing it cost even more money. I remember bits & pieces about that, but never really paid too much attention to it at that time. It's things like that where budgets start to get overblown. Makes you ponder how much of that goes on then, especially with the smaller things, but it all adds up in the end.  

On 7/23/2021 at 8:01 PM, Tatsh said:

A man on the floor and a seed projection 

He has to be sober in front of the public.

On 7/24/2021 at 12:39 AM, Tatsh said:

Palette, what are the first impressions of japanese media and people about the OC please? 

Do they have something to say about the oc? 

Japanese media was caring about reactions of foreign media.A lots of people said it was very boring,dull and cheap.

On 7/24/2021 at 11:43 AM, WD96 said:

パレットちゃん、閉会式はオリジナルのコンセプトを使うべきだと思いますか?

Not so.Too late.:D

• Like 1

That’s all we needed: A street-public ceremony for Paris 2024.

According to president Macron, it would be ideal a ceremony on the Seine River, since it gives a unique experience for French people and the world. The Seine river is the center piece of the city, so a ceremony based on it, would be ideal open to the public…

Ok , ok… that is the message, but remember the “open public ceremony” they did for the FIFA World Cup in 1998. Let’s recognize it was the only intention to make a ceremony separated of the opening match, but the idea didn’t work and it was never repeated again (the concert in South Africa 2010 does not count as a ceremony) That ceremony  - 1998 - was about four giant soccer players who walked through some Paris street, till they gathered on Place Concorde. During their way, they discovered many elements related with their continents and the world. The ceremony was “too French” it was long and non-comprehensible. Most of elements were open to free interpretation… Could we see something similar for 2024?

Another “open-public” ceremony was in Buenos Aires 2018. Despite it was not a BAD ceremony, it was not what we expected for the Olympics. In Chile, we did an “open-public” closing ceremony for the South American Games 2014, in front of the government palace “La Moneda” and it was a real shame…. No please! Not again!

The piece of news:

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/river-seine-to-be-setting-for-2024-paris-olympics-opening-ceremony-says-macron

Some videos of the ceremony for FIFA World Cup 1998:

Hmmm. The ceremonies fans here may not like it, but I think Paris’ street ceremony idea is intriguing. 

You can’t compare Olympic ceremonies to a World Cup - totally different scale and duration etc. WC ceremonies have always been underwhelming compared to their Olympic counterparts.

Personally I think Oly OCs are getting stale and weighed down by the need to include so many obligatory set pieces. I think they need a bit of innovation and trimming down. The more i think about it, the more I hope Paris tries to break that mold.

2 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

That’s all we needed: A street-public ceremony for Paris 2024.

According to president Macron, it would be ideal a ceremony on the Seine River, since it gives a unique experience for French people and the world. The Seine river is the center piece of the city, so a ceremony based on it, would be ideal open to the public…

Ok , ok… that is the message, but remember the “open public ceremony” they did for the FIFA World Cup in 1998. Let’s recognize it was the only intention to make a ceremony separated of the opening match, but the idea didn’t work and it was never repeated again (the concert in South Africa 2010 does not count as a ceremony) That ceremony  - 1998 - was about four giant soccer players who walked through some Paris street, till they gathered on Place Concorde. During their way, they discovered many elements related with their continents and the world. The ceremony was “too French” it was long and non-comprehensible. Most of elements were open to free interpretation… Could we see something similar for 2024?

Another “open-public” ceremony was in Buenos Aires 2018. Despite it was not a BAD ceremony, it was not what we expected for the Olympics. In Chile, we did an “open-public” closing ceremony for the South American Games 2014, in front of the government palace “La Moneda” and it was a real shame…. No please! Not again!

The piece of news:

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/river-seine-to-be-setting-for-2024-paris-olympics-opening-ceremony-says-macron

Some videos of the ceremony for FIFA World Cup 1998:

The CC of ODESUR games was always low budget and almost no one pay atettion. The same case is for the CC of regional games. Even the parapan games 2019 cc was in a training centre.

6 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Hmmm. The ceremonies fans here may not like it, but I think Paris’ street ceremony idea is intriguing. 

You can’t compare Olympic ceremonies to a World Cup - totally different scale and duration etc. WC ceremonies have always been underwhelming compared to their Olympic counterparts.

Personally I think Oly OCs are getting stale and weighed down by the need to include so many obligatory set pieces. I think they need a bit of innovation and trimming down. The more i think about it, the more I hope Paris tries to break that mold.

I want to see a stadium floor filled with people, not huge floor projections with a few performers sprinkled in the middle looking like ghosts within the light.

In Rio it was new and innovative, so fine. Tokyo has the excuse that in pandemic times it was a sensible decision. And I'm not going to judge Tokyo at all, their ceremony was fine under the circumstances.

But I want Paris to be a less digitised and a more human. A proper celebration (touch wood) post-covid. Just go fucking nuts please France, we all know you can!

Edited by Rob.

I was surprized they didn't  use the building outside more for this opening ceremony.  They did something a few years ago with Samsung.

A pubic opening  ceremony is quite do able. Between lazors, lighting, fireworks and drones you can do a lot.

Not sure how you would handle the parade. I suppose you could put them on boats and have then go down a river. Or do a float type.

3 hours ago, Rob. said:

I want to see a stadium floor filled with people, not huge floor projections with a few performers sprinkled in the middle looking like ghosts within the light.

In Rio it was new and innovative, so fine.

In Vancouver it was new and innovative (ish- Beijing had used the same projection technique on the upper stadium wall) ...