GamesBids' Toyko 2020 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

3 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Did any one time the length of the speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeches........WTF....Bach said NOTHING of importance.

I actually think that is disrespectful tot he athletes standing in the middle who have to compete.

A lot of those athletes didn't look like they wanted to be in that stadium anyway. Bach was just Bach, with his usual spiel.

5 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

It's really pretty stupid and FUTILE to have EVERY nation & territory on the planet represented!!  Just march in the damn flags and no more than a dozen reps per nation - MAX.  I mean who cares for the TV ratings in the Maldives or Micronesia?  Certainly not NBC or Home Depot!! 

The only parade TV ratings I have in detail are (inevitably) London 2012 UK figures. Viewing never dropped below about a third of the UK population.

That was a terrific Opening Ceremony!!!

I loved how the producers made up for lost time and delivered a great show! I loved how it combined Japanese traditional elements with contemporary art. For me, it started empty and solemn but built up to an intimate and packed stage.

It was sad that there was no audience that would've made it complete. I think the storyline was very relevant not only of the time but also of the Olympics in general.

My favourites would have to be the pictograms, kabuki, parade of atheletes and the drones.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

What I'll be most curious about come February is how the CHinese will skirt around the issue of Covid!  Japan, China's eternal rival, should have stuck the whole "Covid from China" theme to the utmost!  That at least would have generated a lot of angst and contorversy!! 

We may get to see quite a bit of that (perhaps expressed with a bit more subtlety) in TV commentary throughout the Games

10 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Q: Maybe only saved by Paris segment 

Paris is phoning its segment in from Paris...so no action in the stadium there!

Oh god...Birmingham 2022 Handover all over again. Can these bloddy ceremonies get any worse?

4 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

What I'll be most curious about come February is how the CHinese will skirt around the issue of Covid!  Japan, China's eternal rival, should have stuck the whole "Covid from China" theme to the utmost!  That at least would have generated a lot of angst and contorversy!! 

LOL - That would've been great!

3 minutes ago, WD96 said:

The good:

1. Naomi Osaka

2. Fireworks

3. Kabuki

The bad: 

1. Bach's confusing speech

2. Somberism of the ceremony

3. Lack of fans inside the stadium

The so-so:

1. The uniforms

The good

1-godzilla Matsui and Shigeo Nagashima

2-Naomi

3-drone globe and singers of "Imagine"but not so much for the song itself.

The very very bad

1-50 pictograms.

2-50 pictograms.

3-50 pictograms.

Disappointed so much for this.

1 minute ago, Palette86 said:

The good

1-godzilla Matsui and Shigeo Nagashima

2-Naomi

3-drone globe and singers of "Imagine"but not so much for the song itself.

The very very bad

1-50 pictograms.

2-50 pictograms.

3-50 pictograms.

Disappointed so much for this.

Palette, what are the first impressions of japanese media and people about the OC please? 

Do they have something to say about the oc? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

I know they didnt want to upset the Japanese people by putting on a huge, flashy, happy show...I wonder if people will be upset by presenting such a poor show instead?

Guess then, it's just one of those damn if you do, damn if you don't scenarios.

3 minutes ago, Tatsh said:

パレット、OCについての日本のメディアと人々の第一印象は何ですか? 

彼らはocについて何か言いたいことがありますか? 

A lot of punches to them!:angry:

31 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

It's really pretty stupid and FUTILE to have EVERY nation & territory on the planet represented!!  Just march in the damn flags and no more than a dozen reps per nation - MAX.  I mean who cares for the TV ratings in the Maldives or Micronesia?  Certainly not NBC or Home Depot!! 

You never stopped being a terrible poster on here, I see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

How can the Japanese with a culture of Taiko Drums, Samurai, Godzilla, Pikachu, Anime come up with crap like this?

Because there is a heavy global influence through the IOC and even the Producers that they consult with. I believe we are in a new chapter of a more globalist illustration of the country during each cycle.

43 minutes ago, Athensfan said:

Incidentally, my money is on Michael Phelps and Simone Biles together in 2028...

I second this. I was just thinking this. 

41 minutes ago, zigzag said:

The future is now stupidly large Olympic drone displays mate

IF IT GETS RID OF THE DUMB ALL WHITE FLOORS AND PROPS, THEN I'M HERE FOR IT!

32 minutes ago, Athensfan said:

My final verdict: Not wonderful, but pleasant. The "gentle and welcoming" tone was achieved. The drones were magical. The pictographs were quirky. The cauldron was serene and beautiful. It is too bad there wasn't a more cohesive, mature artistic vision -- a la Papaioannou (my hero) -- but for pandemic Games delayed by a year, it's not a bad beginning. 

I couldn't agree more. The lack of cohesion was a big negative for me this time around. We also saw that in PC and Rio.

Overall I think it was the best it could be given the circumstances. There is no doubt that it was grounded in and a reflection of the times. NBC's coverage make it hard to judge because they like to comment on things through a diluted American lens (not to mention the stupid commercial interruptions).

They shoulda put the athletes in the stands. They shoulda cut the speeches shorter. I woulda had Matsui light the cauldron. I wish there was a drumming segment. Not a fan of the Imagine segment. It was nice, but overdone in the sports world.

I think the lighting, cinematography, pyro were all good. The athlete fashion was great! The choreography in the beginning artistic segments was fantastic as well. I liked the Olympic Rings segement. It reminded me of a mix of Tin Symphony and Pandemonium (on a budget). The stairs coming out of the cauldron and it blossoming was very emotional.

The costumes were so-so. I understand the benefits of a straight run for the PON, but I like the traditional lap around the stadium.

I'd give it a 6/10.