GamesBids' Toyko 2020 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

5 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

And i won't watch any of them. While Japan had a year to prepare for this and they also crapped the bed really hard with this terrible ceremony, nothing of this would had happened if it wasn't by China. I don't care how bombastic they make them. If anyone has dignity they shouldn't watch whatever they do next february.

Also, what's up with you and China? I agree that the ceremony was Nagano-like.

1 minute ago, WD96 said:

Maybe they are saving for the closing ceremony.

Keep telling that to yourself until you believe it lmao. Closing Ceremony is gonna be as bad. Maybe only saved by Paris segment but I don't have hopes for them either.

Just now, WD96 said:

Also, what's up with you and China? I agree that the ceremony was Nagano-like.

Millions have died because of a pandemic which is yet to end thanks to their lies, and they subverted these games which many of us were waiting for years, and you still ask me what's up with me and China. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Have to say the cauldron design is beautiful. But the lighting itself is so lacklustre. Naomi Osaka seems to uninterested in doing the honour, with her slow walk up the stairs and that half turning to each side at the top. She looks bored. The music choice is bad as well, Bolero, really??

Overall a very disappointing ceremony. Worst ever in my opinion. Japan could have done so much better, and I know they can. Just that they were bogged down by Covid. Feel sorry for them to having to host this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FYI said:

LOL - does it really need to be explained? I think we all know why.

I just wondering. All of the China stuff aside, remember the turtle in Pyeongchang that is rumored to be the opening ceremony? Well, turns out that the turtle was for the closing ceremony.

9 minutes ago, Athensfan said:

My final verdict: Not wonderful, but pleasant. The "gentle and welcoming" tone was achieved. The drones were magical. The pictographs were quirky. The cauldron was serene and beautiful. It is too bad there wasn't a more cohesive, mature artistic vision -- a la Papaioannou (my hero) -- but for pandemic Games delayed by a year, it's not a bad beginning. 

I mentioned earlier that I thought Athens 2004 was actually the perfect pandemic ceremony. It involved much less performers than Tokyo yet achieved a way more powerful and beautiful effect. 

7 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I don't think so.  Birds Nest Stadium is ever more enclosed than Tokyo's.  It will be a little difficult to do that; and Yimou's forte is mass spectacle -- NOT so much technical wizardry.  

But that argument would also have applied to 2008's firework displays. Maybe they'll restage the Footprints without CGI this time.

1 minute ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

But that argument would also have applied to 2008's firework displays. Maybe they'll restage the Footprints without CGI this time.

Pyros always look good on TV.  Besides, how could the land that originated fireworks NOT celebrate them, even though Grucci Firewoks of NY was the main fireworks consultant!!  :lol:

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

A very underwhelming ceremony. 

Also in future they need to work out a way to make the Parade it Nations shorter. Tonight it just dragged on too much despite having less athletes marching due to COVID. 

It's really pretty stupid and FUTILE to have EVERY nation & territory on the planet represented!!  Just march in the damn flags and no more than a dozen reps per nation - MAX.  I mean who cares for the TV ratings in the Maldives or Micronesia?  Certainly not NBC or Home Depot!! 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Just now, baron-pierreIV said:

It's really pretty stupid and FUTILE to have EVERY nation & territory on the planet represented!!  Just march in the man flags and no more than a dozen reps per nation.  I mean who cares for the TV ratings in the Maldives or Micronesia?  Certainly not NBC or Home Depot!! 

Switch it up with YOGs, does NBC even care if we get everyone to march at let's say Gangwon 2024? I think they wouldn't mind that;), The big Olympics on the other hand...

2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Pyros always look good on TV.  Besides, how could the land that originated fireworks NOT celebrate them, even though Grucci Firewoks of NY was the main fireworks consultant!!  :lol:

How could the land of insanely productive factories NOT turn out 100,000 illuminated drones for use in Beijing by 4 February 2022?

1 minute ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

How could the land of insanely productive factories NOT turn out 100,000 illuminated drones for use in Beijing by 4 February 2022?

What I'll be most curious about come February is how the CHinese will skirt around the issue of Covid!  Japan, China's eternal rival, should have stuck the whole "Covid from China" theme to the utmost!  That at least would have generated a lot of angst and contorversy!! 

Hopefully the recent tradition of Paralympic ceremonies outdoing Olympic ones holds again - I have some hope for those and the Olympic closing too - now they've got the memorial done, maybe things will get better. Have they had the same creative personnel problems with the other shows?