GamesBids' Toyko 2020 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

2 minutes ago, alphamale86 said:

I know half of y'all pissed. Now I know Naomi isn't the most flashy person. and the way they did it was made lackluster.  

This is going to be an unpopular opinion but the saving grace of all of this is that Beijing will be doing the next opening ceremony in about 7 months  and we will definitely be in for a show then.  Say what must be said politically but they're the best ones to follow this mess

Beijing, Chengdu, Hangzhou, 3 possible mega ceremonies in one year. 2022 might gonna be a huge party for China

To the newbies here, it's pretty much the "hot" athlete of the moment -- Olympian or not; but possibly ascending into an Olympic medal spot.  So please don't start posting the Paris 2024 lighter this early in the process!! 

But really, sock puppets as Godzilla and Mothra would have been alot more exciting!! 

Athensfan, I only saw your IDIOTIC post via someone else.  Still around?  F*CK YOU!! 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

This has been too much disappointing 

Any segment was solid, the drones used just some minutes, they used Imagine when they could have use Hana Wa Saku. 

I didn't expect see a gundam or mario or pikachu, but even japanese cultural wasn't shown in an appropriate way. 

My score is 5/10

• Like 1

Well,when one's had to postpone their big party due to a global pandemic, & spend loads of cash just to get it off the ground a year later, & make all sorts of concessions & alterations to their plans, let's see how anyone could really put on a big, masterpiece show after all of that.

3 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Beijing, Chengdu, Hangzhou, 3 possible mega ceremonies in one year. 2022 might gonna be a huge party for China

And i won't watch any of them. While Japan had a year to prepare for this and they also crapped the bed really hard with this terrible ceremony, nothing of this would had happened if it wasn't by China. I don't care how bombastic they make them. If anyone has dignity they shouldn't watch whatever they do next february.

My final verdict: Not wonderful, but pleasant. The "gentle and welcoming" tone was achieved. The drones were magical. The pictographs were quirky. The cauldron was serene and beautiful. It is too bad there wasn't a more cohesive, mature artistic vision -- a la Papaioannou (my hero) -- but for pandemic Games delayed by a year, it's not a bad beginning. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FYI said:

Well,when one's had to postpone their big party due to a global pandemic, & spend loads of cash just to get it off the ground a year later, & make all sorts of concessions & alterations to their plans, let's see how anyone could really put on a big, masterpiece show after all of that.

I think Zhang Yimou will still surprise us in February!!

4 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

To the newbies here, it's pretty much the "hot" athlete of the moment -- Olympian or not; but possibly ascending into an Olympic medal spot.  So please don't start posting the Paris 2024 lighter this early in the process!! 

But really, sock puppets as Godzilla and Mothra would have been alot more exciting!! 

Athensfan, I only saw your IDIOTIC post via someone else.  Still around?  F*CK YOU!! 

walking away.....

• Like 1

I know they didnt want to upset the Japanese people by putting on a huge, flashy, happy show...I wonder if people will be upset by presenting such a poor show instead?

One of the worst things (among many) was the lighting....the performers performed in a static bright white light...the whole field of play was brightly lit the whole time...the stands were brightly lit so you could see they were empty etc...

3 minutes ago, FYI said:

Amen. 

1 minute ago, Ikarus360 said:

And i won't watch any of them. While Japan had a year to prepare for this and they also crapped the bed really hard with this terrible ceremony, nothing of this would had happened if it wasn't by China. I don't care how bombastic they make them. If anyone has dignity they shouldn't watch whatever they do next february.

See you at the 2 Birminghams then, not that either of them will be grand imho