GamesBids' Toyko 2020 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

28 minutes ago, Athensfan said:

Bud, Covid has been demoralizing. There was a good chance these ceremonies wouldn't happen at all. The Games have been a money pit and the Japanese aren't getting any return on their investment. Public support is scant. Hardly optimal conditions for creative brilliance.

I agree that the ceremonies are lackluster. I won't rewatch them. But in the grand scheme of things, I'm giving Tokyo 2020 a pass. The ENORMOUS financial losses that they have absorbed are mind-boggling. In the grand scheme of things, the ceremonies clearly weren't the top priority. And they shouldn't have been. 

Frankly, I think simpler ceremonies are going to become the order of the day as the Olympics try to be more cost-conscious. Rio's ceremonies were pretty humble. These absolutely are. Sure, Beijing will ratchet up the spectacle next year, but I think it's very possible that future ceremonies will look more like Tokyo than Sydney/Athens/Beijing/London. 

I'm not asking for big budget designs and optics, i'm asking for character and theme and history. Until now this has been so lackluster, that pictogram thing was abysmal, would it be hard to acknowledge some of the pop culture that Japan has given the world? The history element has been so sorely lacking too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

I'm not asking for big budget designs and optics, i'm asking for character and theme and history. Until now this has been so lackluster, that pictogram thing was abysmal, would it be hard to acknowledge some of the pop culture that Japan has given the world? The history element has been so sorely lacking too. 

I hear you. At the same time, art isn't easy. Finding ways to represent character, theme and history (even on a smaller scale) when there's a chance the Games might not happen at all or might be entirely virtual, etc. -- it's not a cakewalk. 

I disagree about the pictograms. I don't think they're AMAZING, but they were quirky, memorable AND specifically Japanese, since they originated them. 

Just now, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

They're playing Queen? Could the organisers not find a single Japanese artist or band who could suit? Give them the chance to shine on the world stage? Instead we get foreign artists? Far out. 

Queen is very popular in Japan.

1 minute ago, yoshi said:

Bolero?! Is this the Japanese Summer Olympics or a British Winter one? :lol: A nod to France maybe like the Brazilians in Buckingham Palace or the Japanese immigration to Brazil?

Yeah. It's an odd choice. I mean, it is one big crescendo, so in that sense I get it.