GamesBids' Toyko 2020 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

5 minutes ago, alterNATE said:

Do you guys have a link where I can watch the opening ceremony? Thank you in advance!

Claro Sport and France TV will air it, but you might need a VPN depending of where you are right now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Well that wood-looking contraption is clearly the rings, and the forming of the rings is a big moment of any Olympic ceremony now...

I kinda knew these were gonna be the rings already from the sneak peak the organizers provided a week ago. The props holding the lanterns had large rings so I always suspected these weren't just for show.

1 minute ago, kevzz said:

Very excited but also quite sad to see an empty stadium. It feels such a waste, in BBC footage it shows lots of general public gathering outside the fence trying to take pictures. 

Yeap Chilean TV s alsho showing that... They should allow the entering of some people... They are gathered anyway..

1 minute ago, Nacholympic said:

Yeap Chilean TV s alsho showing that... They should allow the entering of some people... They are gathered anyway..

Exactly, allow them in and the stadium is empty and big enough to make sure they are all very far apart. Surely that is safer than them congregating outside??

2 minutes ago, Nacholympic said:

Spoiler alert: they say that tennis player Naomi Osaka probably would lit the cauldron

naomi-osaka-1.jpeg

Gosh hope not, don't think she deserves it yet. Just a couple of grand slam titles and no Olympic medals. Surely there are more successful Japanese Olympian than her!

4 minutes ago, kevzz said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9817335/Tokyo-Olympics-Protesters-gather-hours-opening-ceremony.html

Look at the crowd on Tokyo streets today. Mad, that they allow this but not allow them in the stadium!

I remember the opening ceremony of the 2017 Universiade was disrupted due to people protesting because of some things Taiwan government and blocked the entrance of athletes into the opening. They might try to repeat that tonight.

1 minute ago, Ikarus360 said:

I remember the opening ceremony of the 2017 Universiade was disrupted due to people protesting because of some things Taiwan government and blocked the entrance of athletes into the opening. They might try to repeat that tonight.

Yeap--- first there was just a flag parade at YOG style and then all atyheles marched inn together...

10 minutes ago, kevzz said:

Very excited but also quite sad to see an empty stadium.

So, what’s new? It inevitably happens at every games that someone here will post “Hey, look at all the empty seats! These games are a failure” as soon as events start. Tokyo’s getting in early

I wouldn't be surprised if Osaka lights the cauldron, really. Specially in the current times when diversity has been a strong theme in the Olympics, and Japan is infamous for being a very racially homogeneous country.

• Like 1