India and Indonesia step up preparations for 2036 Olympic Bid after Brisbane locks up 2032 Games

GBModerator

You don‘t have to be specifically „woke“ to think that Human Rights should never be an „aside“.

Let‘s not forget Qatar happily hosted the Taliban in exile, just for starters.

But Bach has strong business ties to the Arab world, so this has to be seen in the context of that.

Also, if you don‘t care about the above, the weather is still an issue - just look at the marathon races from 2019 athletics WC. And the need to build fully cooled stadiums for a WC in December.

2 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Aside from Human Rights perspective, is there really a problem with qatar hosting the games, I mean, next year they're hosting the world cup and are already building touristic infrastructure for literally millions of tourist. Also they have already the card of the 2006 asian games, 2019 IAAF championship, 2023 FINA world cup and of course the 2030 asian games. I wouldnt consider qatar (doha)  as bad as India is, whose only experience was a failed commonwealth games, or indonesia, who want to host the thing in a sinking city

The 2006 Asian Games were held in December when it’s cooler.

The IOC’s new rules now require that the Summer Olympics can only be held in July/August.

July/August in Doha is by far too hot and completely out of the question for the health and safety of everyone.

Even after midnight, the temperature can still be in the high 30s.

For the World Cup, the infrastructure is fine, but not even Doha could pull enough infrastructure to hold all the Olympic and Paralympic outdoor sports in air conditioned stadia.

Do we really need to list the things wrong with an Olympics in the middle of the desert, in the middle of the summer? lol

Bach is just being the typical IOC diplomat. But until the IOC removes their “preferred July/Aug time frame”, places like Do-haha are just SOL. But then again, that was the IOC’s escape clause back when Qatar was bidding for 2016 & 2020. It was an easy “thanks, but no thanks”, without getting into real the nitty-gritty of everything else that was wrong. 

16 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Aside from Human Rights perspective, is there really a problem with qatar hosting the games, I mean, next year they're hosting the world cup and are already building touristic infrastructure for literally millions of tourist. Also they have already the card of the 2006 asian games, 2019 IAAF championship, 2023 FINA world cup and of course the 2030 asian games. I wouldnt consider qatar (doha)  as bad as India is, whose only experience was a failed commonwealth games, or indonesia, who want to host the thing in a sinking city

respectably, Qatar is no soap box to stand on.  I've been there.  The weather is the most diabolically horrible I have ever experienced.  I turned down a head spinning job offer there because I will never forget what those ten summer days and nights I was there felt like.  There is no amount of money that is worth that.  There is an economically established caste system, and the rulers are absolutely horrible people.  If we are picking between the three, I would absolutely roll with Jakarta first despite being a sinking city, and even Indian despite a failed commonwealth games.  Doha is literally.........literally a last resort, even below Baku, Jakarta, and India.  Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia for ANY world event are the last resorts of last resorts for a myriad of reasons, not the least because of the weather.

And even if every country in the world outside the Persian Gulf region declined and we HAD to, the games would be shifted to the winter AND the events would have to be held in the morning and evening.  That is the kind of hellhole we are dealing with.  

• Like 1