India and Indonesia step up preparations for 2036 Olympic Bid after Brisbane locks up 2032 Games

GBModerator

Singapore hosted a successful YOGs and Bangkok has hosted the Asian Games on two occasions and has considered a future YOGs bid. Those events are perfect for both cities. Each one is capable of hosting major sporting events but a SOGs is out of reach for both of them, even with the New Norm and Agenda 2020. Bangkok is similar hosting wise to the likes of New  Delhi and Jakarta, cities that would need a significant investment. Singapore has the money but not the space to host an Olympics on it's own. Partnering with the likes of Malaysia and Indonesia is too risky. The YOGs is perfect for both cities, cities that just aren't up to the task of hosting the big version. Same goes for the likes of Buenos Aires, Doha, Istanbul, or any bid from India.

1 hour ago, Australian Kiwi said:

With a seeming lack of options to take the Games to Africa a South East Asian Olympics would offer that new frontier that we will perhaps be craving after the next decade of repeat host nations. 

I think the IOC is done with new frontiers for a long time after Rio and that includes SE Asia along with Africa and South America. The only way a SE Asia bid even remotely gets considered is if there's no bids from the U.S. Korea,China,Australia, Russia, or Western Europe.

11 minutes ago, stryker said:

Singapore hosted a successful YOGs and Bangkok has hosted the Asian Games on two occasions and has considered a future YOGs bid. Those events are perfect for both cities. Each one is capable of hosting major sporting events but a SOGs is out of reach for both of them, even with the New Norm and Agenda 2020. Bangkok is similar hosting wise to the likes of New  Delhi and Jakarta, cities that would need a significant investment. Singapore has the money but not the space to host an Olympics on it's own. Partnering with the likes of Malaysia and Indonesia is too risky. The YOGs is perfect for both cities, cities that just aren't up to the task of hosting the big version. Same goes for the likes of Buenos Aires, Doha, Istanbul, or any bid from India.

You've just listed a whole lot of major non-western cities and completely disregarded their potential. I just don't agree with such broad stroke opinions. 

Singapore has the space. It is not Andorra or San Marino. It actually has quite good working relations with its neighbours and I can't see why it couldn't negotiate a the staging of events like Football or Surfing with its ASEAN counterparts. 

It has probably the best transport systems in the world, best airport, an incredibly high standards of living, lots of hotels, a strong government (albeit 'benign authoritarian' - but its not like the IOC would care). Its multiculturalism would be a strong selling point also and would culturally represent itself as a Malay/Chinese/Indian city (like how Atlanta underlined its African-American heritage).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stryker said:

I think the IOC is done with new frontiers for a long time after Rio and that includes SE Asia along with Africa and South America. The only way a SE Asia bid even remotely gets considered is if there's no bids from the U.S. Korea,China,Australia, Russia, or Western Europe.

Again - disagree. This is too far into the future to make such statements with such certainty. We are talking 2036/2040 at the earliest here. 

You're underestimating the geopolitical power of a candidate like Singapore. You simply cannot compare it to Rio. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Again - disagree. This is too far into the future to make such statements with such certainty. We are talking 2036/2040 at the earliest here. 

You're underestimating the geopolitical power of a candidate like Singapore. You simply cannot compare it to Rio. 

Absolutely agree, Singapore would have to be one of the most advanced, high tech, manicured cities on the planet if not the most..

It literally is, seriously.  

Amazing metro system with advanced driver-less rapid trains across a wide network in this city-country island.  Far-reaching underground shopping malls, amazing super-modern education and health infrastructure. 

• Like 1

I have to agree with Baron. SE Asia is at a geographical disadvantage for 2036 anyway, based upon where the 2032 host will be. No region within relatively close proximity has hosted the Summer Olympics back-to-back since right after WWll. So unless of course, no other cities from other continents come forward, I don't see it happening, either.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 11:44 PM, Australian Kiwi said:

You've just listed a whole lot of major non-western cities and completely disregarded their potential. I

Non-western cities that outside of Singapore are all from the developing world and the IOC wants no part of the developing world. Singapore briefly considered a joint bid for 2032 with Kuala Lumpur, another city from a developing nation. And it wasn't just football that would've gone to Malaysia either. It was targeted as a true 50/50 Olympics with half the events in Singapore and half in Malaysia. The bid fell apart when a proposed high speed rail project was delayed and might even be cancelled with the financial ramifications of Covid. The IOC got burned with the developing world with Rio. Bidding races are all about safe bids now snd I suspect will continue to be even more so as much of the developing world is going to be fighting the Covid pandemic well into 2024 and perhaps even longer with current vaccination rates. Then you have the inevitable economic recession to follow.

None of those other cities not to mention the entire continents of Africa and South America would stand a chance against a bid from any of the regions I previously mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, FYI said:

Lol no. Plus, two consecutive Summer Olympics within the same general time-zone ain't gonna happen. Not if the IOC can help it.

But they can't help it. They're desperate for bidders from anywhere. As long as Manila has the prerequisite of all their major transport projects completed, they might not need an Asian games to help boost an Olympic bid.

1 hour ago, Lord David said:

But they can't help it. They're desperate for bidders from anywhere. 

Sure, but even in that case, I see the IOC going to Russia, Istanbul or even India, Singapore or dare I say, JaFarta, before they bothered with Manila. People still complain about what a 'mess' Rio was. Can't imagine Manila fairing any better, but worse in that dept. 

35 minutes ago, FYI said:

Sure, but even in that case, I see the IOC going to Russia, Istanbul or even India, Singapore or dare I say, JaFarta, before they bothered with Manila. People still complain about what a 'mess' Rio was. Can't imagine Manila fairing any better, but worse in that dept. 

Rio's problem was the corruption (a given) but more importantly, the fact that they didn't plan the 2016 Olympics as Pan Ams 2.0. They tried going greater than that and made a mess of it.

India's just a mess no matter what city it decides (if any) to put forward. Does Singapore want the big one? Istanbul is just another opportunity to snub them. Jakarta is sinking and even with the experience of hosting the Asian Games, that's not going to help.

So long as Manila's 2 planned airports, the subway, National Railway (expansion and rehabilitation) and other infrastructure projects are complete by the time a bid is even considered, they might stand a chance.  All that would need to be built is the Olympic Park, village, and some specialized venues. They have most of the arenas already.

Edited by Lord David

On 8/15/2021 at 6:37 AM, Lord David said:

Rio's problem was the corruption (a given) but more importantly, the fact that they didn't plan the 2016 Olympics as Pan Ams 2.0. They tried going greater than that and made a mess of it.

Lol, lets not talk about the corruption in Brazil when you're trying to advocate the Philippines. And of course Brazil wanted to go greater with the Olympics than the Pan Ams. Isn't that why countries/cities want the Olympics in the first place? To go BIG or bigger?

But I don't think that's what the main problem was. More than likely that they tried to bite off more than they can chew, by hosting not just one, but TWO MEGA sporting events back-to-back (the 2014 WC, & the 2016 Olympics). That's a great feat in itself even for the most developed of countries in the best of times. And of course there's always the interpretation that too much was made of Rio's woes with their Olympics. And that the actual picture on the ground is actually not as dire as people on the outside have painted it out to be.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:37 AM, Lord David said:

India's just a mess no matter what city it decides (if any) to put forward. Does Singapore want the big one? Istanbul is just another opportunity to snub them. Jakarta is sinking and even with the experience of hosting the Asian Games, that's not going to help.

Here's the thing with that, though. The Philippines in comparison, is not as geo-politically attractive as most of the others on that list. It can said that China & Brazil were 'just a mess' when they were bidding for their Olympics that they won. But too add to that, China & Brazil were actually bidding against well-developed cities around the world, & yet they still won. Manila in that regard, just doesn't fit in that argument, if you're going to make a case against those other cities for being messes.

16 hours ago, stryker said:

I don't think you can compare Manila and Rio. Manila is light years from being in contention for an Olympics. It's infrastructure is a nightmare. With the exception of the old Jeddah airport, I've never been to one as bad as Aquino

There's the Build Build Build program by the current Duterte administration. Also there's 2 international airports being built in the coming years. Once all these projects are completed then you could turn NAIA into an Olympic Park.

I wouldn't exactly call it lightyears.

4 hours ago, Lord David said:

There's the Build Build Build program by the current Duterte administration. Also there's 2 international airports being built in the coming years. Once all these projects are completed then you could turn NAIA into an Olympic Park.

I wouldn't exactly call it lightyears.

I've heard of the Build Build Build program. Hopefully the project gets done on time. But Manila needs more than just an airport. It needs a multi-line extension of its metro among other infrastructure upgrades. We're talking billions of dollars in upgrades. Traffic congestion on the roads is among the worst (Forbes rated it the worst in the world). While Manila has some adequate sporting facilities like the Philippine Arena (they need a main stadium with an athletics track), quite a bit will need to be invested to have enough that are Olympics caliber. NAIA is not slated for closure either. Instead it will be used for domestic flights and low-cost carriers. Given the sad state of the economy along with the damage done by covid, recovery is going to take years if a decade or more. Manila would be much better off targeting an SEA Games and perhaps an Asian Games. I could see Manila as candidate for the Youth Olympics which would suit them much better than the big version.

You can build all you want in Manila but you CANNOT control the climate.  Manila :lol: and Jakarta are just no-go's for:
(1) the July-Aug-Sept climate (with climate change, those typhoons are just going to get worse); and
(2) they are just too chaotic on the ground -- when THERE ARE better alternatives. 
Those SEA Games outside Manila, mainly, went off well in 2019 because (1) they were held in December; (2) they were quite spread out from the heart of congested Manila; and (3) there were only 11 nations competing.  But certainly, the athletic performances were subpar to world records, etc.  Unless NO ONE else wants to host them, SEA is probably as bad as the Caribbean or the Gulf in terms of hosting happy, comfortable, worry-free and simpatico Olympic Games.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1 minute ago, FYI said:

^But maybe it’s a “dry” heat, though! :lol: But yeah, I pretty much said very similar in the Russia planning 2036 Oly bid thread yesterday. SEA in July/Aug probably makes Tokyo seem like fall.

The July-Sept period is really the "muggiest."  Secretly, you pray for rain to cool the air.  But then that rain comes in torrents because that's just how the planet is laid out.  I know Oly skeds allow for Plan "B" days for the outdoor sports.  But for a SEA-based Games, you need up to Plan D scenarios to get clear days which will at least look good on TV.  The high season for travel to and from Manila from ex-pats living in No. America and Europe is Dec-Feb becuz that's the perfect time to escape the winter blahs of the North and visit the old sod at its most comfortable.  

• 2 weeks later...

Bach again name dropped specifically Qatar, Indonesia, India, and Germany as 2036, 2040 spots.  Dunno what thats worth.  Apparently to show "stability" for the future.

Jesus christ, Qatar.  How is that even a thought beyond a Day After Tomorrow scenario that plunges us into a new ice age.

3 hours ago, iceman530 said:

Bach again name dropped specifically Qatar, Indonesia, India, and Germany as 2036, 2040 spots.  Dunno what thats worth.  Apparently to show "stability" for the future.

Jesus christ, Qatar.  How is that even a thought beyond a Day After Tomorrow scenario that plunges us into a new ice age.

Aside from Human Rights perspective, is there really a problem with qatar hosting the games, I mean, next year they're hosting the world cup and are already building touristic infrastructure for literally millions of tourist. Also they have already the card of the 2006 asian games, 2019 IAAF championship, 2023 FINA world cup and of course the 2030 asian games. I wouldnt consider qatar (doha)  as bad as India is, whose only experience was a failed commonwealth games, or indonesia, who want to host the thing in a sinking city