India and Indonesia step up preparations for 2036 Olympic Bid after Brisbane locks up 2032 Games

GBModerator

As many as five cities waited on the sidelines Wednesday as they watched Brisbane confirmed as host for the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games after a 72-5 International Olympic Committee (IOC) vote brought the race, and their dreams, to an end. Brisbane had been selected by the IOC for targeted dialogue in February this year […]

The post India and Indonesia step up preparations for 2036 Olympic Bid after Brisbane locks up 2032 Games appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

• Like 1

From the looks of it, Hungary, the Koreas, Istanbul and India are probably the best placed bids for 2036, geo-politically -- a dreadful lot, if you ask me.  But Seoul-PyongChang will probably be the least awful of the group -- and 3 cycles would have already passed before it returns to Asia again.  Indonesia should count itself out already for being in the same Oceania vicinity as 2032 will be.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

From the looks of it, Hungary, the Koreas, Istanbul and India are probably the best placed bids for 2036, geo-politically -- a dreadful lot, if you ask me.  But Seoul-PyongChang will probably be the least awful of the group -- and 3 cycles would have already passed before it returns to Asia again.  Indonesia should count itself out already for being in the same Oceania vicinity as 2032 will be.  

India, Istanbul, and Indonesia will politely be told no chance by the IOC (I don't see the IOC considering any bid from outside, the US, Korea, China, Russia, or Western Europe for the SOGs). The IOC wants safe hosts. This one is western Europe's to lose. Madrid or London or a Russian bid would be as close to locks as one could get.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Hungary is very hated by the media for their anti-immigration/west policy, and Orban is Discount Putin at this point so i'm not sure if they'll get it that easily though Hungary sees to be going all out to get sport events. Seoul would be very nice but SK needs to get rid of Moon Jae In and his naiveness on wanting to bid with the North which is what would kill this bid (luckily seems he might be done for since his party lost Seoul in the last elections which was more or less of a referendum about his government).

Istanbul, same as Orban. India could barely organize CWG in 2010 and after being one of the most screwed up nations by COVID what makes them think they have any chances?

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Dreadful to say the least. I don't see Jafarta regardless. Besides being too close to the preceding host, Jakarta is just a mess. Polluted, congested & sinking. Istanbul looks like a dream in comparison. If a country like Japan has struggled during a time of global crisis, I wouldn't put such a huge responsibility like an Olympic Games on Indonesia, India or even Hungary.

Seoul could get it simply because they're a proven & reliable entity. It appears that they've handled the Corona crises better than it's neighbors have. But they have to do it alone, & forget the silly notion of including NK. As for Western Europe, I'm sure that's who the IOC would prefer the most for 2036 anyway, since it'll be 12 years since Paris by that time (& the Summer Games have never been away from the continent any longer than that). But of course, simply because that's what they would want, doesn't automatically translate that's what they would get, if the drought of bids continue from that part of the world.

40 minutes ago, FYI said:

Seoul could get it simply because they're a proven & reliable entity. It appears that they've handled the Corona crises better than it's neighbors have. But they have to do it alone, & forget the silly notion of including NK.

Presidential elections are in March 2022 and Moon Jae In aka the silly man who overtrusts NK too much is projected to lose since his popularity plumetted. If he's out of the picture then your prayers might be listened and Seoul will bid alone.

I doubt NK will get too upset. They're in their worst crisis since the 90s and have just tightened up stuff even more to the point anyone caught with material from the south such as K-Pop will be executed (typical stuff dictatorships in crisis do so their people don't know a better alternative exist). Last thing they want is the Olympics and expose their people to other points of perspective.

My undertsanding of the new system is that, following this week’s 2032 election, that the unsuccessful 2032 Bidders remain in Continuous Dialogue.

Continuous Dialogue is not “edition-specific” so, unless they formally withdraw, they remain in Continuous Dialogue for future Games.

This includes Jakarta, India, Doha, Rheine Rhur, Madrid, Budapest, Koreas.

1 hour ago, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

Remember when so many posters here attacked the Brisbane bid for 2032 saying how bad they were as a host city? Now 2036 has India and Indonesia as it's best bet. Wonder if they'll retract their comments on Brisbane. I'm looking at you FYI. 

India and Indonesia have zero chance at 2036. If London is serious about 2036, then the field will be cleared by the IOC quickly. Furthermore, the IOC has more pressing problems at the moment finding WOGs hosts (2030 and 2034) If they are smart, they are trying to figure out how to convince Salt Lake City to give 2030 a shot. 

10 hours ago, stryker said:

India and Indonesia have zero chance at 2036. If London is serious about 2036, then the field will be cleared by the IOC quickly. Furthermore, the IOC has more pressing problems at the moment finding WOGs hosts (2030 and 2034) If they are smart, they are trying to figure out how to convince Salt Lake City to give 2030 a shot. 

I agree, Salt Lake City’s chances for 2030, even so close to LA2028, are right up there if Sapporo pulls out.  If Sapporo pulls out, then a Canadian bid (Vancouver or Quebec City) might be SLC’s biggest rival for 2030.

The way Tokyo 2020 has rolled out, I do not have high hopes for Sapporo to throw their hat in. 2030 will probably go to Salt Lake or Vancouver - whoever can be tied in earlier or easier.

For 2036, Madrid or London seem like the obvious choices as of now. Seoul or Budapest will not have a decent shot unless both are off the table. I do not see the IOC look at 2036 before the last third of the decade. We all know Brisbane has predominantly been the works of Coates. With no such influential supporters on either side, there is no reason to rush a decision for 2036.

The 2032 election set the pattern of the new rules.  It can happen at any time.

When viable candidate emerge the pack, the IOC can elevate them as preferred bidder into Targeted Dialogue.

Salt Lake City could be elevated if Sapporo formally pulls out and the Canadian Olympic Committee take too long.

There might also be an three-way negotiation for another double awarding of 2030 and 2034 if there are only two viable Candidatures at that moment in time.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, munichfan said:

The way Tokyo 2020 has rolled out, I do not have high hopes for Sapporo to throw their hat in. 2030 will probably go to Salt Lake or Vancouver - whoever can be tied in earlier or easier.

For 2036, Madrid or London seem like the obvious choices as of now. Seoul or Budapest will not have a decent shot unless both are off the table. I do not see the IOC look at 2036 before the last third of the decade. We all know Brisbane has predominantly been the works of Coates. With no such influential supporters on either side, there is no reason to rush a decision for 2036.

I agree re Sapporo 2030 which appears doomed at this stage given the anti-Olympic public opinion polls in Japan right now.

The 2032 election set the pattern of the new rules.  When a viable candidate emerge the pack, the IOC can elevate them as preferred bidder into Targeted Dialogue for reommendation to the EB and then an IOC Vote.

Salt Lake City could be elevated if Sapporo formally pulls out and the Canadian Olympic Committee take too long.

There might also be an three-way negotiation for another double awarding of 2030 and 2034 if there are only two viable Candidatures at that moment in time.   

True, the IOC are busy right now, but they can do multiple tasks with the Future Host Commission for each Games and will move quickly when they can on locking in future candidates , eg 2030 and 2034, 

Summer Games

Chaired by IOC Member Kristen Kloster Aasen, the mission of the Future Host Commission for the Games of the Olympiad is to 

explore, create and oversee interest in future Games of the Olympiad and Summer Youth Olympic Games.

Winter Games

Chaired by IOC Member Octavian Morariu, the mission of the Future Host Commission of the Olympic Winter Games is to

explore, create and oversee interest in future Olympic Winter Games and Winter Youth Olympic Games.

19 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Why are posting everything twice?  Are you getting senile?  :wacko:

Why are posting everything twice?  Are you getting senile?   :wacko:

Nope, the big hurdle for the Salt Lake 2030 candidacy is the USOPC itself.  Aside from LA 2028, there is United Bid 2026 PLUS elections.  The USOPC fears that Salt Lake 2030 follows LA 2028 and United 2026, its main corporate sponsors will be tapped out -- even allowing for a recession.  "Olympic fatigue" will set in.   

Nope, the big hurdle for the Salt Lake 2030 candidacy is the USOPC itself.  Aside from LA 2028, there is United Bid 2026 PLUS elections.  The USOPC fears that Salt Lake 2030 follows LA 2028 and United 2026, its main corporate sponsors will be tapped out -- even allowing for a recession.   "Olympic fatigue" will set in.

:wacko:  :wacko:

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Haha 1

Jakarta is an amazing place but I just can't see it happening. 

I think if we want to ever see SE Asia it needs to be an Olympics centred upon Singapore. The only matter to be resolved there would be Football and Surfing. Perhaps Football venues across Malaysia and Indonesia and Surfing in Bali? Maybe sailing at Penang?

• Like 1

The only SE Asian city that really intrigues me for an Olympic Games is Bangkok. I know that they have their own share of problems, but so do many other cities mentioned in the region. They’ve at least hosted several Asian Games (& other events), so they have quite the experience already in hosting a multi-sport event.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FYI said:

The only SE Asian city that really intrigues me for an Olympic Games is Bangkok. I know that they have their own share of problems, but so do many other cities mentioned in the region. They’ve at least hosted several Asian Games (& other events), so they have quite the experience already in hosting a multi-sport event.

Bangkok is an incredible place and would be quite iconic - they've also had good experience over the years hosting multiple Asian Games. I just think Singapore is a sensible, lower risk option and is well positioned to 'delegate' events like Football and Surfing to its neighbours Malaysia and Indonesia (Bali). 

• Like 1