Beijing 2022 cauldron

On 1/8/2022 at 6:32 AM, munichfan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if, in the end, the Bird's Nest itself will become the cauldron and the flame goes all around the roof.

Well that would look spectacular and if was a low carbon emission gas as used in the small cauldron at Tokyo 2020.   But quite a large ring of flames that would be but perhaps not as environmentally friendly as a smaller cauldron.  I don’t know the science behind low carbon emission flames nor if it is feasible around the entire rim of the Birds Nest Stadium (?)

Would it be seen from outside the stadium, or would it be more a “glow in the sky” but perhaps just out of sight …?   depends how big the flames are I guess

I was thinking about the 2022 Cauldron and where I'd like to place it.  As the stadium itself will not be used for any sporting events it would be good to have the Cauldron in Beijing Olympic Green.  Do you thing they would be able to have the Cauldron on top of Beijing Olympic Tower?  For the ceremony it could be similar to Sochi 2014 when the flame was brought into the stadium then exited the stadium and lit the cauldron outside.  My only thought is that the top of Beijing Olympic Tower is a greater distance and height from the stadium as was the cauldron at Sochi 2014 

• Like 1

This is an interesting image of the Olympic Tower next to the Bird’s Nest Stadium and taken from this interview with Director Zhang Yimou.

These are the Olympic Rings on top of the Olympic Tower from a side-on view.

But this blurry side-on view make the rings “flame-like” in appearance at first glance.

Probably not going to happen but it would be a good and very visible location for the Cauldron outside the stadium.

JvYWGrz.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

That looks a good sport.....BTW what are those towers, were they built after 2008? I dont remember seeing them when I was last in Beijing.

I am betting on a drone lighting the cauldron.....it cmes down from a formation in the sky, grabs the flame then flies to the cauldron!

Sounds like a plan …. I like it.

Originally called ‘The Trees of Life’, construction in them started jn 2011 and they opened in 2015.    In 2016 they were renamed The Olympic Towers << in this video.

The video also shows this image of the top of the tallest tower where the Rings are.

There certainly doesn’t appear to be any obstacles on top of the Tower itself, apart from the base of the Olympic Rings on the platform, which would prevent a Cauldron being positioned up there.

A highly visible location too.

fM1F3pR.jpg

fM1F3pR.jpg

• Like 1

From yesterday’s CCTV News Report are these aerial images of the Birds Nest Stadium.  From four different angles I’ve circled a mysterious new object protruding horizontally from the centre of one end of the stadium roof.

Could this object be simply be part of a flying or launch apparatus of some kind or perhaps even a low carbon emisson gas pipe?   We’re very likely not yet seeing the final mechanical assembly of the flame’s pathway or the Cauldron ….. but the plot thickens as they say.

A bit further around is the upward vertical screen which appears to be an extension of the interactive ground screen on the stadium floor.  It is perhaps (?) some kind of pathway or special effect for the flame’s upward journey (just guessing here).  

It’s a jigsaw puzzle and most if us are conditioned by all the cauldron lighting methods which have come before Beijing 2022.

One thing is for sure, director Zhang Yimou has promised a bold lighting of the flame unprecedented  in the history of the Olympic Games.

Gb0Aw9t.jpg

Exactly - just seen it on the BBC and it looks really good but you can't see the flame at all.   I bet the energy used to both make it and keep it moving throughout the games is probably as much as the energy saved by not having a proper cauldron too.   Maybe this is the cost of offsetting all the fake snow?

Wouldn't be surprised if they keep changing the torch in it too as there doesn't look to be anything powering it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Exactly - just seen it on the BBC and it looks really good but you can't see the flame at all.   I bet the energy used to both make it and keep it moving throughout the games is probably as much as the energy saved by not having a proper cauldron too.   Maybe this is the cost of offsetting all the fake snow?

Wouldn't be surprised if they keep changing the torch in it too as there doesn't look to be anything powering it.

I saw a shot yesterday morning the flame seemed to be out.

• Like 1

This cauldron is just as underwhelming as the opening ceremonies were.  Big fat fail from China on all aspects - the medals are uninspired, the cauldron is a joke, the ceremonies were meh, the color palette of the indoor venues is dull.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was really wanting to like the cauldron and the new "innovative and groundbreaking" approach.  I was excited about the possibility of using light (similar to the pictures that were posted from the opening rehearsal).  It is so underwhelming and there is very little that is new about this approach.  For example, they have replicated the cauldron outside of the stadium (Vancouver 2010), they have used all the countries that are participating to make up the cauldron (London 2012), they have used snow or frozen water as the influence for the creation of the cauldron (Salt Lake 2002).  There was more flame in the small cauldron that was on stage in the Medal's Plaza in SLC in 2002, than if both cauldron's in Beijing were lit.

The only thing that I see as remotely new is that they have used very little flame in the cauldron.  I don't see that as innovative, but more like a necessity due to the chronic pollution in Beijing.  The director would have been better to have said nothing about the cauldron, as he was the one that hyped it so high, that when lit, it created an even bigger let down.  There was a real awkward time period between when they slid the lit torch into the snowflake and when the announcer's said that the ceremony was over.  I kept waiting for the snowflake to explode or light up on the outside or be raised to light something else.   I think everyone was waiting, with baited breath, for the actual lighting to take place, only to realize that it had passed.  Another epic cauldron fail that I can't believe that the IOC signed off on when it was presented!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MWHoisy said:

I was really wanting to like the cauldron and the new "innovative and groundbreaking" approach.  I was excited about the possibility of using light (similar to the pictures that were posted from the opening rehearsal).  It is so underwhelming and there is very little that is new about this approach.  For example, they have replicated the cauldron outside of the stadium (Vancouver 2010), they have used all the countries that are participating to make up the cauldron (London 2012), they have used snow or frozen water as the influence for the creation of the cauldron (Salt Lake 2002).  There was more flame in the small cauldron that was on stage in the Medal's Plaza in SLC in 2002, than if both cauldron's in Beijing were lit.

The only thing that I see as remotely new is that they have used very little flame in the cauldron.  I don't see that as innovative, but more like a necessity due to the chronic pollution in Beijing.  The director would have been better to have said nothing about the cauldron, as he was the one that hyped it so high, that when lit, it created an even bigger let down.  There was a real awkward time period between when they slid the lit torch into the snowflake and when the announcer's said that the ceremony was over.  I kept waiting for the snowflake to explode or light up on the outside or be raised to light something else.   I think everyone was waiting, with baited breath, for the actual lighting to take place, only to realize that it had passed.  Another epic cauldron fail that I can't believe that the IOC signed off on when it was presented!

I literally thought that the snowflake was to fly out of the stadium to go light a cauldron elsewhere. It was something that one of the NBC commentators had said that made me think that.

The energy efficiency line doesn't really work when you've got the 5 towers lit up which have seemingly been built for these games.    It seems that organisers of recent games are aware that if the cauldron isn't the focal point it should be they need to build something else that is.