Beijing 2022 cauldron

Zhang Yimou went on to say about the Cauldron:

“Although no further details were given, he hinted that environmental themes and low carbon emissions had been important factors in the designs.”

( from:  Zhang promises unprecedented Flame lighting at Beijing 2022 Opening Ceremony - 7Jan22 - Inside The Games )

The Beijing 2022 Olympic Flame will be lit in “unprecedented fashion”

"This time, the way of lighting will certainly be different. I am very nervous. I believe it is totally innovative and people will be surprised," Zhang claimed, hinting at "a bold design of the lighting and design of the Cauldron."

“Although no further details were given, he hinted that environmental themes and low carbon emissions had been important factors in the designs.”

“Zhang Yimou directed the Opening Ceremony of the Beijing 2008 Olympics, and is also overseeing the Beijing 2022 Ceremonies.”

Thank you for sharing @AustralianFan . So this does confirm that what we see on Google Earth is indeed the ceremony layout.

Guess, we'll have to wait and see for their cauldron. Leaks will certainly not happen. Who knows what bold ideas they have come up with. It's China after all. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the end, the Bird's Nest itself will become the cauldron and the flame goes all around the roof.

P.S.: The @-option made me find out we have such beautiful nicknames as "auslandskonto-online" and "ausredenmensch" on these forums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, munichfan said:

Thank you for sharing @AustralianFan . So this does confirm that what we see on Google Earth is indeed the ceremony layout.

Guess, we'll have to wait and see for their cauldron. Leaks will certainly not happen. Who knows what bold ideas they have come up with. It's China after all. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the end, the Bird's Nest itself will become the cauldron and the flame goes all around the roof.

P.S.: The @-option made me find out we have such beautiful nicknames as "auslandskonto-online" and "ausredenmensch" on these forums.

This morning Melbourne time I’ve has another look at today’s googleearth images of the Birds Nest Stadium in the morning sunshine and have attached these below.   Doesn’t appear anything has changed but a weird optical illusion happens with the white side ramp -  one minute it looks to be oriented up toward the stadium roof, then I look away and weirdly it then looks like it is very much oriented downwward.  

There is also clearly a large hinge at the joining point of that ramp or “projection screen” (?).

On the stadium roof, there is definitely an encircling structure around the stadium rim. This may be to do with this OC or just left-over from the 2008 cauldron rigging to fly Li Ning around) ….  but it is there and anything “out of place” up there is intriguing …

jSACBWg.jpg

hf5Nk7B.jpg

7 hours ago, PikyoK said:

https://www.beijing2022.cn/wog.htm?cmsid=20220107023747

I found a video in the link above with some information that may have been aforementioned in the chat. According to the web page and this video, the ceremony will last less than 100 minutes (I don't know if he was referring to the artistic programme or the entire ceremony). It will be very interesting to see how he will make the long Parade of Nations fit in if he is referring to the duration of the entire Opening Ceremony.

I'm not quite sure if he's having us on because one of the main reasons why he wants to make it short is because the weather is cold. While I accept the fact that Covid could be another reason for the short ceremony I think Beijing is in a better situation than what Pyeongchang had to endure four years ago. The Beijing stadium surely has ventilation and heaters to warm the spectators while Pyeongchang had to install windbreakers in the stadium design as well as prepare additional items like hot packs for the spectator's hands. 

I feel as though Zhang will still deliver a spectacular display like Sochi but I don't think it will be as grand like what we saw in 2008. It will be very interesting to see him picture the 'inner thoughts of the Chinese people' while putting on a scaled back, simple and splendid showcase. A lot of Winter and Summer Games in the past have delivered simple but splendid showcases like Nagano, Athens and most recently Tokyo so I would love to see how Beijing will follow suit. 

I'd love to see how he will include people participation like what he says in the video. 

Apparently from one of the title cards in the video, the theme is "From Me to We". 

I'd like to rehash what Ikarus posted back in 2020 about how the ceremonies will celebrate Chinese New Year so I'd like to see how they will incorporate themes and motifs that relate to the Lunar New Year Celebrations since the festivities coincide with the Winter Olympics.

It's interesting how he says epidemic rather than pandemic like the rest of the world uses when mentioning Covid.

I smirked when Zhang stated that the Chinese people's thoughts he wanted to show included pride, love and affection to the whole world. I then thought 'Oh yeah, you want to show that yet your country treat minorities and neighbouring countries like s**t and your government keeps threatening the West with your propaganda!

Finally in the video, he stated that the cauldron and the lighting of the cauldron will be based off of Chinese culture and history which is quite acceptable given that many cauldrons in the past include motifs from the host nation's culture like Pyeongchang with the white porcelain spherical bowl, Tokyo with Mt. Fuji being the base of the cauldron, and Athens with a giant thin olive leaf which of course was the symbol of peace and of Athens. 

Overall, I'm looking forward to seeing this Opening Ceremony in action despite the controversies China has faced in the recent years and the ideas that Zhang has revealed in the video.

Excellent thankyou PikyoK for the following video link with subtitles over in the Ceremonies thread. 

Zhang Yimou Interview - Chief Director - Beijing 2022 Ceremonies with english sub-titles

BEIJING 2022 CAULDRON 

Zhang talks about the 2022 Cauldron in the last few minutes of the video.

Here are some key 2022 Cauldron quotes from that video after Zhang had just been chatting about looking back on the 2008 Cauldron sequence before these quotes:

Reporter:    Will a different ignition method be used for the (2022) Cauldron?    

Zhang: That’s a secret

( but then, a few days later, Zhang talked more about the Beijing 2022 Cauldron)

Zhang:  

It’s a major reform of the Opening Ceremony.

It will be unprecedented in the over 100 year history of the Olympic Games in line with the concept of low carbon emission.

For the lighting and design of the main cauldron, we’ve come up with a bold idea.  I’m very nervous.

I think it’s totally innovative and also very glad this idea has strong support from the Beijing 2022 Organising Committee (BOCOG).

It will be a surprise. …. whether people like it or not ..…..I hope you like it  (laughs nervously)

(end of interview)

• Like 1

The third is landscape lighting. Xiang Jun said that the landscape lighting is mainly divided into two parts: “The first is to do a lot of LED transformation to meet the current requirements of energy saving, carbon reduction and emission reduction. Tonight, the Bird’s Nest will light up at the same time as the Ice Ribbon and Ice Cube. Friends will see the effect of landscape lighting, but the best effect will be seen during the Winter Olympics.”

Source (in Mandarin). It's an interview on a party official on recent upgrades on the Bird's Nest.

Just came across this in the Skyscrapercity Beijing National Stadium thread. So I guess, this conforms the non-cauldron theory.

The flame from Olympia is an actual flame and there is an actual Olympic Torch Relay.

Yes, on Opening Ceremony there will be an actual Cauldron with an actual flame which will be actually be ignited.

The mystery is what sort of “vessel” will the Beijing Cauldron be that holds the flame?  There may well be hologram or environmental specual effects to enhance the flame, …. but there will be an actual Cauldron that will be ignited.

and another example …

I’m beginning to think, since Yoshi’s mention of holograms, that Zhang Yimou amd the Beijing creative team may be on to this.  I still think the Caudron will be a real flame but this hologram technology would be right up there in wowing a global audience at some point in the Opening Ceremony.  

31 minutes ago, Anthony said:

If they pull a Napoli Universiade style cauldron I'm gonna lose it.

Have no fear, what they’ve got for the Beijing Cauldron next month has not been done before - “unprecedented” I think were Zhang’s words in the history of the Olympic Games.  

This is China we’re talking about, they will want to be ground breaking, they will want to do something that has not seen before … and all indications are from Zhang Yimou, that’s exactly what he is going to deliver.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Have no fear, what they’ve got for the Beijing Cauldron next month has not been done before - “unprecedented” I think were Zhang’s words in the history of the Olympic Games.  

This is China we’re talking about, they will want to be ground breaking, they will want to do something that has not seen before … and all indications are from Zhang Yimou, that’s exactly what he is going to deliver.

I hear you and I believe it. Theres just that little part of me that is scared haha

More anticipation as to what Zhang Yimou has in store for the Cauldron at Beijing 2022 …..

“Those who were fortunate enough to be there will never forget the moment when gymnast Li Ning soared towards the heavens to light the Beijing 2008 Olympic Cauldron.”

“They will surely be intrigued to hear ceremony director Zhang Yimou promise an "unprecedented" method to light the Beijing 2022 Cauldron next month.”

"This time, the way of lighting will certainly be different. I believe it is totally innovative and people will be surprised," he claimed last week.

On 1/7/2022 at 9:39 PM, AustralianFan said:

Also, could that white centre oblong on the stadium floor be an ice-skating rink ?

I think they're going for the projection floor idea as used in Sochi, Rio, Pyeongchang and Tokyo, as it has been in Olympic ceremonies in recent years.

2 hours ago, Shiruba98 said:

I think they're going for the projection floor idea as used in Sochi, Rio, Pyeongchang and Tokyo, as it has been in Olympic ceremonies in recent years.

Absolutely agree it will be used as a projection surface.

But what is intriguing is that there appears to be a very solid white section in the middle of the oblong.  I could be completely wrong as only guessing here but I do suspect that the central square section might well be solid ice as it is not transparent like the ends of the oblong are.  If it is ice, then it can also be used as a projection surface as well.

It may be nothing but as it is the Winter Olympics, it may well be the first ice skating component to apoear in a Winter Opening Ceremony since the 2002 Salt Lake City Opening Ceremony.    Oh well, we won’t have long to wait to find out ……