Beijing 2022 cauldron

The cauldron which was used at the 2008 Summer Olympics is permanently on display outside the Bird's Nest Stadium since 2010 when it was removed 2.5 years after the Summer Games. 

Will Beijing re-light the 2008 Cauldron or use two cauldrons with a ceremonial one inside the stadium and the 2008 cauldron permanetly burning during the Olympics & Paralympics? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I don’t think China and Beijing 2022 are in the mood to go small in anything - even in the Covid era.

I have a feeling that China will want a big high profile impact and so a big, highly visible 2022 Cauldron for all the people to see to go with their Opening Ceremony.

I can’t see them doing a small, “internal” cauldron with visibility for the stadium audience only, like the cauldrons at the summer games of London 2012, Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020.   

The last Winter Olympics in 2018 at PyeongChang returned to a highly visibly Cauldron that those outside the stadium coukd also see.

Expecting now for Beijing 2022 to dial this up in comparison to the 2018 Winter Olympics cauldron.

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

I don’t think China and Beijing 2022 are in the mood to go small in anything - even in the Covid era.

I have a feeling that China will want a big high profile impact and so a big, highly visible 2022 Cauldron for all the people to see to go with their Opening Ceremony.

I can’t see them doing a small, “internal” cauldron with visibility for the stadium audience only, like the cauldrons at the summer games of London 2012, Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020.   

The last Winter Olympics in 2018 at PyeongChang returned to a highly visibly Cauldron that those outside the stadium coukd also see.

Expecting now for Beijing 2022 to dial this up in comparison to the 2018 Winter Olympics cauldron.

I really don't understan summer olympics small cauldron trend, as if a bigger cauldron caused climate change. Already the building of the olympic venues causes enough pollution to go there and just say oh, we care about the environment, specially after ceremonies involving thousands of LED's and tons of fireworks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

UHmmm.  It's NOT really whether China wants to build the biggest bonfire on the planet or not.  The IOC owns the "Olympic flame" (difficult as that concept is to grasp), hence it is THEY putting the kibosh on larger cauldrons -- not the local Org Committees.  The Org Committees make proposals (including content of the Ceremonies) and the IOC Exec Board approves or denies or recommends that those ideas be modified.  

So, again, AF, you don't understand how these things work.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

2 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Is it the IOC  “advising”  the organising committee to go for a small cauldrons or is it in the Host City contract?

It could be in the HC contract (I don't know) -- but especially with the last few Games, the IOC Exec Board certainly signs off on the "cauldron" choices or not.  

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, BigVic said:

The 2008 cauldron will be the one which stays alight during the games while a small Ceremonial cauldron will be inside the Bird's Nest. 

Is that your personal wish or is there any quote for that? At least in its current position the 2008 cauldron looks sort of off and underwhelming. And I don't see China missing out on an opportunity to build something new.

4 hours ago, munichfan said:

Google Earth has uploaded recent satellite imagery of the Olympic Green. These were taken in mid-November. Might this already be the ceremony layout?

Hide contents

2022OC.png

Image source: Google Earth, © 2021 Maxar Technologies

There seems to be a circular raisable platform at the very centre of the portion of the floor that's covered in white. There might be a second, rectangular raisable plaqtform to the east/top of it, but it's hard to tell. Also that... thing at the very east/top seems odd. Maybe some sort of pathway that can be raised and used as a screen?

All the stuff that is built on top of the roof seems to have been there for years, so probably we will see another moderately sized indoor cauldron somewhere in the stadium.

Thanks MunichFan for posting.

It seems odd that they would leave that 2008 “cauldron track” up there (yellow circle) ?

Also what is that blue circled thing, offset but almost right above the white upward structure below ….  ?

29ybkKq.jpg

Nobody looks on top of the stadium anyway, so not changing anything at all is probably the cheapest and most comfortable option to go for after the games. Hence all those "temporary" venues in Rio, Sochi or PyeongChang are still standing there untouched.

The blue circled thing does come with a counterpart on the other end of the roof. They have been on there since the 2008 games, too. I am certainly no expert, but the most likely option for me is that they hooked wires there for additional support for everything that hang from the stadium at the summer games (such as the LED rings or their cauldron lighter).

• Like 1

Look at this photo of Birds Nest interior. There seem to be wires from east to west (between the first group of "holes" in the wrap and the second one from the left). Checking historic satellite imagery of the stadium reveals, that these wires were installed between June 2009 and May 2010. So they were added AFTER the 2008 games. So they are not there for structural support for props hanging in the stadium. My best idea is they support a spider cam or similar filming equipment. But perhaps other folks on here can make more educated guesses.

Beijing_National_Stadium_2014_2.jpg

Image Source: "Interior of Beijing National Stadium (Bird Nest)" by Ekrem Canli

53 minutes ago, munichfan said:

Look at this photo of Birds Nest interior. There seem to be wires from east to west (between the first group of "holes" in the wrap and the second one from the left). Checking historic satellite imagery of the stadium reveals, that these wires were installed between June 2009 and May 2010. So they were added AFTER the 2008 games. So they are not there for structural support for props hanging in the stadium. My best idea is they support a spider cam or similar filming equipment. But perhaps other folks on here can make more educated guesses.

Beijing_National_Stadium_2014_2.jpg

Image Source: "Interior of Beijing National Stadium (Bird Nest)" by Ekrem Canli

They also might have been used in trying out/testing new ideas and schemes for Ceremonies?  They don't necessarily have to be used or stay for the Ceremonies next month.  

Just in …..

The Beijing 2022 Olympic Flame will be lit in “unprecedented fashion”

"This time, the way of lighting will certainly be different. I am very nervous. I believe it is totally innovative and people will be surprised," Zhang claimed, hinting at "a bold design of the lighting and design of the Cauldron."

“Zhang Yimou directed the Opening Ceremony of the Beijing 2008 Olympics, and is also overseeing the Beijing 2022 Ceremonies.”