Olympic Cauldrons

hey guys

What has been your fave Olympic cauldron? what has been your least favourite? what would you have done differently to a cauldron if you were its designer?

My fave cauldron is Barcelona 1992 - I love how they mixed the modern cauldron with the historical stadium and made it look as if it had always been there.

f18.jpg

My lease fave cauldron is Athens 2004 - i liked the lighting but it just seems very bland, for the home of the Olympics i expected something more 

f26.jpg

If i could redesign a cauldron for sure i would re-do Atlanta 1996 - i would keep the actual caldron as i love the color scroll but i would get rid of the metal tower and replace it with a more stylish modern column similar to the interlocking Turin design.

What's y'all's picks?

• 2 weeks later...

For me : 

- Sydney

- Beijing

- Salt Lake City

One thing in my bucket list is too see "all possible" olympic cauldron,I dont know if there is a list of "where exactly you can see them". I already have seen of them : 

- Sydney (my fav one)

- Atlanta

- Barcelona

- Nagano

- Grenoble (I live there!)

- Montreal

- Athens

- Albertville (close to Grenoble)

- Lillehammer

-Moscow

For me : 

- Sydney

- Beijing

- Salt Lake City

One thing in my bucket list is too see "all possible" olympic cauldron,I dont know if there is a list of "where exactly you can see them". I already have seen of them : 

- Sydney (my fav one)

- Atlanta

- Barcelona

- Nagano

- Grenoble (I live there!)

- Montreal

- Athens

- Albertville (close to Grenoble)

- Lillehammer

-Moscow

18 minutes ago, fantomex said:

One thing in my bucket list is too see "all possible" olympic cauldron,I dont know if there is a list of "where exactly you can see them".

There is a room in the Museum of London which houses the 2012 cauldron and an exhibition about its design process

https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/museum-london/permanent-galleries/london-2012-cauldron

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did love the Athens cauldron, and also Salt Lake City.   Also liked the classic simple effort of Lillehammer, and Sochi somewhat did that too.

London's lighting was spectacular but it loses marks for me just for being out of view for a week and not burning brightly over the city.   I'm not a huge fan of the move towards lighting a stadium cauldron as the big symbolic moment and then someone lighting the main cauldron elsewhere in the city with no questions asked.   Hopefully as cleaner energy is used to fire the flame we can see some kind of compromise which sees us return to the classic cauldron shining over the stadium.