Will the world be better off W/O the Olympics?

I think they can still survive....but not under this current leadership of old farts disconnected with reality. The IOC needs an urgent reform in all aspects, and let younger people with more charisma and with more connections to athletes and the young into higher roles. The Olympics need to be reformed heavily so they become a more accesible event, without losing their prestige. I know many of the bad things Olympism are having right now are consequence of some of the stuff done by Rooge and Samaranch, but Bach has been nearly 10 years in power and our Olympic Champion in Fencing has done nothing about it but making it even worse. More and more people are seeing the Olympic games as a meme game without its old prestige and are considering the FIFA World Cup as the true number 1 event (FIFA, as corrupt as it is, has been much more intelligent than the IOC and adapted much better to the times though that's not saying much).

Sometimes i wish America did something again like they did in 2015 with the Fifagate scandal. That way the IOC will be forced wheter they like it or not to wake up and smell the coffee, otherwise the Modern Olympics will face the same fate as the Ancient ones.

1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

I think they can still survive....but not under this current leadership of old farts disconnected with reality. The IOC needs an urgent reform in all aspects, and let younger people with more charisma and with more connections to athletes and the young into higher roles. The Olympics need to be reformed heavily so they become a more accesible event, without losing their prestige. I know many of the bad things Olympism are having right now are consequence of some of the stuff done by Rooge and Samaranch, but Bach has been nearly 10 years in power and our Olympic Champion in Fencing has done nothing about it but making it even worse. More and more people are seeing the Olympic games as a meme game without its old prestige and are considering the FIFA World Cup as the true number 1 event (FIFA, as corrupt as it is, has been much more intelligent than the IOC and adapted much better to the times though that's not saying much).

Sometimes i wish America did something again like they did in 2015 with the Fifagate scandal. That way the IOC will be forced wheter they like it or not to wake up and smell the coffee, otherwise the Modern Olympics will face the same fate as the Ancient ones.

It's not just the IOC but other sporting organizations such as AIBA.

I was arguing in the Tokyo news thread that I believe we're definitely post peak Olympics, but they're still novel enough and enough of an attention draw for big media at least currently in 2021 to be worthwhile. Beijing is going to be a challenge not just for NBC but for the IOC as well with audience fragmentation and the novelty of the events are definitely wearing thin. I'm not sure one could argue that the city race for bidding has become a lot less competitive, and there are huge regions of the world namely the continent of Africa, and all of west and south Asia, that have zero chance of hosting the event that is meant to bridge divides and unite the world in sport or whatever flowery language they pump out like a factory. The reality is they're much closer to a patent troll that throws lavish parties for the rich and elite than they are some grand non-profit benefiting all of mankind.

Should the olympics have a permanent site or site(s) - ie: london/los angeles/sydney/rome/tokyo/athens or could they do what the euros did and host different events in different countries?

• Haha 1

On 7/20/2021 at 3:42 AM, ice444 said:

Should the olympics have a permanent site or site(s) - ie: london/los angeles/sydney/rome/tokyo/athens or could they do what the euros did and host different events in different countries?

If it's a rotating-permanent basis, I'd say it would be LA-Sydney-Seoul or Beijing - Rio - and it has to Paris for the Euro turn.  

But the problem for "permanent sites" will always be the Village(s).  Unless there is a big UCLA-sized university in the host city with dorms for 10,500 bodies, you can't expect repeating host cities to always put up new 3,000-unit villages that is centrally located to everything -- unless the exponential growth in the city(ies) warrants a new mini-city even 20 years.  

Who knows what the future will bring for the Olympics. Beijing next year has plenty of woes (not to mention the Chinese are holding one of our own Calgarians:angry:). Too many signs out there there may be some global conflict coming post-pandemic (anyone follow the G7 this year?) Too much unrest with China for my liking. Throw Russia into the mix too... yikes.