Tokyo Olympics Broadcast Coverage

I also like the opine that I'm indifferent as to what happened in Women's Soccer.\

Christine Sinclair was quite mouthy as to what happened in 2012 and I personally saw her as a sore loser, CBC and the Canadian public were brainwashed into believing that they were robbed and supported her disrespect to the sport. That's why I've personally seen both Sinclair and Rapinoe as mouthy pieces of work.

“We feel like we didn’t lose, we feel like it was taken from us,”
"It’s a shame in a game like that that was so important, the ref decided the result before it started.” -Christine Sinclair"

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

Yep, the 7+ app has been a godsend. Best coverage of the games here ever. Just at a time so many of us are stuck at home.

Lots of coverage from swimming, basketball, track cycling and track and field 

3 minutes ago, BigVic said:

Lots of coverage from swimming, basketball, track cycling and track and field 

I got a kick out of being able to switch across and catch all the climbing, for example. It was a new sport, was keen to see it, but naturally not much on the main Seven channel. The obs feeds have been a game-changer.

29 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

It still amazes me how many Americans think that NBC is as jingoistic as you can get and I really want to say to them "have you actually watched CBC before?"  That's not necessarily an insult to either, just the nature of the beast. 

It’’s the job of a national broadcaster to narrowly follow, and yes, be jingoistic about, the national team. Commercially, of course they have to cater to the home audience. And they really are duty bound to a degree that we get to see who we sent over to compete, and that those athletes get their moment to perform for the folks back home. Nothing wrong with colouring the local coverage for the home audience. Maybe that doesn’t always sit well for sporting or Olympic purists, but multi feed streaming has now alleviated that as well. I’ve really enjoyed these games because I’ve be able to watch whatever I want, whenever I want, in pure big screen 4K goodness.

19 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

It’’s the job of a national broadcaster to narrowly follow, and yes, be jingoistic about, the national team. Commercially, of course they have to cater to the home audience. And they really are duty bound to a degree that we get to see who we sent over to compete, and that those athletes get their moment to perform for the folks back home. Nothing wrong with colouring the local coverage for the home audience. Maybe that doesn’t always sit well for sporting or Olympic purists, but multi feed streaming has now alleviated that as well. I’ve really enjoyed these games because I’ve be able to watch whatever I want, whenever I want, in pure big screen 4K goodness.

And I'm fine with all that.  Don't know how it is elsewhere, but it seems like there's more than a few people in the United States that assume our coverage should give equal coverage to other athletes and nations.  That's just not how it works.  And if other countries had the production facilities to produce their own feed to focus more on their country, they would do that in a heartbeat

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

And I'm fine with all that.  Don't know how it is elsewhere, but it seems like there's more than a few people in the United States that assume our coverage should give equal coverage to other athletes and nations.  That's just not how it works.  And if other countries had the production facilities to produce their own feed to focus more on their country, they would do that in a heartbeat

All things considered, I feel like NBC did a pretty awesome job in their coverage in terms of options. I personally follow the Olympics by events rather than by country and I enjoyed being able to stream specific events live and see how every competing country did. Of course their primary broadcast was focused on Team USA, which makes sense that the flagship channel caters to the primary demographic, so I never really tuned into that (the few times I did, I swear to god it was an endless stream of tennis and I cannot understand for the life of me why). 

NBC Youtube clips are a different story. It seems like most of the comment section is complaining about lackluster coverage of events, so perhaps NBC doesn't do a super great job on advertising how to stream specific events for the non hardcore Olympic watcher. Not to mention NBC's Olympic website interface is pretty cluttered and I hated having to scroll very far to find specific day's events. There were also lots of comments complaining about awkward cuts and splices of footage but that's neither here nor there, I suppose.

I would expect that which is televised would be skewed to whatever sports are popular for that counrty and where they have chances of medals. 

But who watches TV anymore? Most young people watch everything online. I am not a young person and the last games I watched on the telly was London? 

16 minutes ago, AmaniS said:

But who watches TV anymore? Most young people watch everything online. I am not a young person and the last games I watched on the telly was London? 

What???? I hate watching anything on small devices. I watch most of my things online through streaming services - it’s been ages since I watched free-to-air TV regularly - but when I do so it’s on a great big bloody 4K HD screen. I can’t appreciate movies on an iPad or laptop.

3 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

What???? I hate watching anything on small devices. I watch most of my things online through streaming services - it’s been ages since I watched free-to-air TV regularly - but when I do so it’s on a great big bloody 4K HD screen. I can’t appreciate movies on an iPad or laptop.

Ditto. I'm even a regular attender at the local cinema now it has re-opened.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:38 PM, Sir Rols said:

On 8/8/2021 at 12:02 AM, Quaker2001 said:

Very much in agreement with you two. Not an Olympic purist here. I've checked multiple TV schedules from the 2020 rights broadcasters worldwide despite being very busy (still am right now) and making mental and jotting them down here and on paper. There's a business model in broadcasting the Olympics. EVERY national Olympic broadcaster will "duty-boundly" promote and coloring the hell out of a nation's athletes obviously in order to assure and drum up interest to domestic audiences in them. Agreed on many other nations wishing for their own production facilities in producing their own Olympic feeds with their own cameras and even promotional material and campaign that's closer to what NBC does leading up to it. And yes, ArmaniS, oftentimes the TV coverage in many nations is structured to focus on longstanding, established, popular, and successful/internationally competitive sports in those nations; it's why baseball and softball both weren't televised and thus no commentators for them in France on France Televisions and Eurosport France. The sports do indeed exist there with its national federations, but they're very marginal there in public interest with no history of big time success and thus not competitive world contenders. Online multi-feed streaming and comprehensive multichannel pay-TV services like SuperSport, SKY Sports NZ, NowTV, and Claro Sports certainly helps and levels the national and international interest. Just mentioned TVA Andorra on the other media thread I still write. All that showed in Olympic sports was nothing but canoeing/kayaking and the men's 800m (and it wasn't even in consecutive days for TVA Andorra in its coverage) because that tiny landlocked Pyrenees nation's NOC sent only two athletes in those events in Tokyo in TVA's second Olympics broadcasting after Pyeongchang. That's the extreme in comparison to many others. 

Interesting discussion about home nation cheerleading in Olympic broadcasts. National Olympic broadcasts, regardless of the country, are biased in favor of their home athletes.

You might be interested in an empirical examination of the 18-night CBC and NBC Sochi 2014 primetime broadcasts conducted by James Angelini, Paul MacArthur, Lauren Smith, and Andrew Billings. (Nationalism in the United States and Canadian Primetime Broadcast Coverage of the 2014 Winter Olympics.)

One finding: Both Sochi Olympic broadcasts emphasized home nation athletes. Canadian athletes represented 48.5% of total athlete mentions on the CBC primetime broadcast. American athletes represented 43.9% of total athlete mentions on NBC’s primetime broadcast. So, the CBC placed a greater emphasis on home nation athletes than NBC did. The difference between the two broadcasts is statistically significant.

Another finding: On the NBC primetime broadcast, 65% of the Top 20 most-mentioned Olympians were American. On the CBC primetime broadcast, 100% of the Top 20 most-mentioned Olympians were Canadian. The first non-Canadian to make the CBC most mentioned list on the #Sochi2014 primetime broadcast was Team USA’s Bode Miller. The alpine skier was tied at 26th place … with 5 Canadians. Bode Miller was the most-mentioned Olympian on the NBC primetime #Sochi2014 broadcast.

Examinations of Australian and Chinese Olympic broadcasts have shown they also overemphasize home athletes. So, the question generally isn't whether a broadcaster favors the home nation athletes during the Games, it's a matter of to what degree.

As Jim Lampley once said about NBC's broadcast, "Inevitably you're going to see stars and stripes. That's just intelligent programming."

8 minutes ago, Olympic TV said:

That's just intelligent programming

Exactly. And that goes for all the criteria mentioned here - men, women, mixed gender, home audience cheerleading.

There’s no agenda except to maximise viewership.

Olympic coverage should always be based around your home nation expectations, but recognise the key Olympic moments too.   The Eurosport coverage has highlighted how important domestic focused coverage is - the extra channels they broadcast in the UK were clearly intended far more for a European audience than focusing on what Brits would deem to be the most important sports.

It's a shame that NBC's low ratings will frame these games for many as a failure when really they've exceeded expectations during these difficult times and been a much needed tonic.  NBC's ratings are far more a reflection of their broadcasting strategy than the success of the games - it's laughable that even though they now broadcast everything live via Peacock and other channels they still think it's acceptable to hold events until primetime and then wonder why people don't watch an event they knew the outcome of 12 hours earlier.

The talking point in Europe of course has been the Discovery deal - and no doubt about it the BBC paniced themselves into signing such a bad deal, giving away exclusive 2018/20 coverage, not to mention £120m, in order to get access to 2022/24, resulting in just main channel coverage and one additional stream.   Meanwhile France TV, who were in exactly the same position, did a deal which gave them full streaming rights while ARD/ZDF in Germany were able to show ten streams of coverage.    The soulless presentation on Eurosport though highlights how good and how important the BBC covering the Olympics are.   They probably missed the ability to stream events they were covering live, but having to dip out of, more than showing extra sport - even one or two extra streams might have made the difference.    I'm really hoping the unfavourable time zones of both LA 2028 and Brisbane 2032 put Discovery off bidding for the next cycle.