Tokyo Olympics Broadcast Coverage

4 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

On a related matter: will the IOC learn from Disney etc. that there are potential benefits to allowing fan-made videos making "fair use" of their copyrighted broadcast material?

I think they have

"Fans will be able to "clap virtually" to show their support, while they have been invited to film six-second selfies which will be shown on the big screens and also offered to broadcasters."

I  am looking into where you are to upload them.

3 hours ago, AmaniS said:

I think they have

"Fans will be able to "clap virtually" to show their support, while they have been invited to film six-second selfies which will be shown on the big screens and also offered to broadcasters."

I  am looking into where you are to upload them.

There is an app for it

https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule NBC has posted their plan, there's a lot of overnight (Eastern time zone) live coverage that starts around primetime and just goes all night, so it looks pretty good. Of course I think the primetime 8pm show will be the usual chopped up medley that NBC likes to produce, but they're continuing the progression from Rio and they've got all the OBS feeds available live it looks like and Peacock has a lot of stuff on it. 

• Like 1

Between ARD, ZDF, and Eurosport we here in Germany should get most of the items.

The rights are owned by the US company Discovery, the parent company of Eurosport. The package covers the games from 2018 to 2024 and cost 1.4 billion dollars. The two public broadcasters ARD and ZDF had acquired sub-licenses after long and tough negotiations and are therefore also allowed to report from Tokyo. In contrast to the Winter Games in Pyeongchang 2018, there are no restrictions on any sports this time.

2 hours ago, GoNutz said:

https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule NBC has posted their plan, there's a lot of overnight (Eastern time zone) live coverage that starts around primetime and just goes all night, so it looks pretty good. Of course I think the primetime 8pm show will be the usual chopped up medley that NBC likes to produce, but they're continuing the progression from Rio and they've got all the OBS feeds available live it looks like and Peacock has a lot of stuff on it. 

It's similar to what they did with 2018 in PyeongChang where a lot of NBC's coverage is delayed, but it's events and coverage that will have aired already elsewhere.  The vast majority of the diving competition will be live on cable.  Track and field and gymnastics will both be on Peacock.  And yes, not 1, but 2 networks with round the clock coverage.

From a programming and scheduling standpoint, hard to find too many faults in this plan.  The amount of coverage across all the cable networks in primetime is extremely impressive and very welcome.

BRAZIL: TV ratings of Opening Ceremony

Estúdio Olímpico — Foto: Divulgação

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games opening ceremony registered bad numbers on TV.

TVGlobo broadcast exclusively on free to air, with the broadcast on closed channels being shared by SPORTV and BANDSPORTS.

Opening Ceremony:

Athenas-2004: 58 million (TV Globo and BANDTV)
Beijing-2008: 42 million (TV Globo and BANDTV)
London-2012: 18 million (RecordTV)
Rio de Janeiro-2016: 89 million (TV Globo, RecordTV and BANDTV)
Tokyo-2020: 20 million (TV Globo)

Finding the German ZDF online schedule to be not bad. They are giving a choice of at least  6 different events at a time. They were a little off with one of the fencing metal match.

I just need to figure out how early am I willing to wake up. They start broadcasting at about 1:50 am.

2 hours ago, brasilolimpico said:

BRAZIL: TV ratings of Opening Ceremony

The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games opening ceremony registered bad numbers on TV.

TVGlobo broadcast exclusively on free to air, with the broadcast on closed channels being shared by SPORTV and BANDSPORTS.

Opening Ceremony:

Athenas-2004: 58 million (TV Globo and BANDTV)
Beijing-2008: 42 million (TV Globo and BANDTV)
London-2012: 18 million (RecordTV)
Rio de Janeiro-2016: 89 million (TV Globo, RecordTV and BANDTV)
Tokyo-2020: 20 million (TV Globo)

Source for those historical figures please: they don't seem to match those provided by the IOC and Kantar IBOPE Media 

BRAZIL: Olympics with high ratings on TV Globo and SPORTV

Chamada dos Jogos Olímpicos Tóquio 2020 na Globo - YouTube

TV GLOBO (Free to air)

From Friday to Saturday (31), open TV also had a considerable increase in audience. The broadcast of judo by teams (from 12:56 am to 3:09 am) increased the time's audience by 40%, both on the PNT (National Panel of TVs) and in SP, while the dispute of the women's volleyball team against Serbia boosted by 67% the range (4:24 to 6:27), also PNT and SP.
On Saturday morning, the highlights were the broadcast of men's football, in which Brazil guaranteed a place in the semifinals. TV Globo's audience more than doubled on time (7:00 am to 8:52 am). The growth was 140% in the PNT and 120% in SP. Largest audience of the track since March 2020 both in PNT and SP. The women's 100m sprint, which had a triple podium for Jamaica, also aroused the interest of Brazilians. TV Globo grew 83% in the timetable (9:45 am to 9:58 am) in both PNT and SP. All prior data.

SPORTV (Pay television)

In the first week of Olympic broadcasts (from 23 to 29 July), SporTV coverage reached more than 14.4 million Brazilians. The 4 sports channels dominated the pay TV ranking and occupied the top four positions in prime time (from 6pm to midnight). In the all-day audience, they are in the Top 10 (in the top three and in the seventh). SporTV 1 leads pay TV throughout the day, while SporTV 2 is the leader in the afternoon and so-called "prime time" tracks.

The highest rated broadcasts, all on SporTV 2, were Rayssa Leal's silver in the skate street women's final, reaching over 2.1 million people; the match between Brazil and Norway in men's handball; and the women's volleyball competition with the Dominican Republic, both with more than 1.3 million people.

Streaming

In the digital environment, SporTV had a consumption nine times higher (+827%) by subscribers of "Globoplay (Globo's streaming platform) + live channels" compared to the first 20 days of July.

Source: O DIA (https://odia.ig.com.br/esporte/olimpiadas/2021/07/6202524-audiencia-do-grupo-globo-dispara-na-primeira-semana-dos-jogos-olimpicos.html)

I’ve never watched much of NBC’s coverage but do they show speeds in MPH? I’m just wondering.

Metric baseball is weird although I know it’s how it is done in Japan. The outfield fences at the Toronto Blue Jays stadium, the Rogers Centre shows both feet and metres but shows the feet in much larger text as the “dominant” unit.

BRAZIL: Globo breaks audience record with unprecedented gold medal in artistic gymnastics

Rebeca Andrade ganha o ouro no salto nos Jogos de Tóquio

SAO PAULO, BRAZIL - The unprecedented gold medal in artistic gymnastics at the Tokyo Olympic Games, with Rebeca Andrade in the jump, brought historical records to TV Globo as well. In Rio de Janeiro, the broadcast increased the band's audience by 80% (5:56 am to 6:52 am) on this Sunday (1), reaching an average of 9 points, the highest audience on Sunday in 19 years, since June 2002, according to TV Globo.
In the PNT (National Television Panel) and in São Paulo, there were 6 points, doubling the average time in São Paulo (100%) and an expressive growth of 50% in the PNT. The bronze medal in the 50m freestyle swimming, won by Bruno Fratus, scored 18 points in the PNT, maintaining the average audience at the time (22:29 to 22:42).

Another highlight of the Olympic dawn was the victory of the men's volleyball team against France. In the broadcast of the world classic on the courts, TV Globo saw its audience grow 56% in the PNT and 40% in Sao Paulo, both with 14 points. The highest average of Sunday morning hours (23:03 to 1:59) since the "Big Brother Brazil 101" special in May. In Rio, it was the highest audience (17 points) since the broadcast of Carnival last year, a growth of 55% for the time.

The game that ended up eliminating the Brazilian duo Ágatha and Duda in beach volleyball also aroused the public's interest, causing TV Globo's audience to grow 33% in PNT and Sao Paulo and 50% in Rio. Were informed by TV Globo.

Source: 'Observatório da TV (UOL)https://observatoriodatv.uol.com.br/audiencia-da-tv/globo-bate-recorde-de-audiencia-com-medalha-de-ouro-inedita-da-ginastica-artistica

On 8/3/2021 at 4:46 AM, SkiFreak said:

Canadians, anyone else think CBC's coverage sucks this year? I miss Brian Williams. Andrew Chang kinda sucks. Too much fluff, not enough sports substance.

Williams is on CTV and hasn't featured since London 2012. 

Channel 7 is good. 45 live streams of every single event 

BRAZIL: With three gold medals in one day, TVGlobo celebrates its largest audience in 19 years.

TV Globo is very satisfied with the Tokyo-2020 audience numbers. The biggest TV channel in Brazil has broadcasting rights until 2032.

Tóquio 2020: Brasil vence Espanha no futebol masculino e é bicampeão  olímpico (FOTOS) - Sputnik Brasil

SAO PAULO, BRAZIL - Brazil's three gold medals in an interval of less than 12 hours yielded audience records for the Globe broadcasting the Tokyo Olympics. The station showed the Brazilian achievements at the turn of Friday to Saturday. The high point of the audience was during the final between Brazil and Spain, which guaranteed the two-time Olympic championship to the Brazilian men's soccer team. The victory by 2-1 in overtime made Globo reach the highest mark on the timetable (8:30 am to 11:30 am) on Saturdays in 19 years in São Paulo and on the PNT (National Television Panel) — 21 points, growth of more than 250% .
In Rio, the audience was also the highest since 2008, with 22 points. At dawn on Saturday, the victory of Hebert Conceição in boxing doubled the audience of the track at dawn (2:52 to 3:10) on the PNT, reaching 8 points on the PNT, in addition to averages of nine in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. Shortly before, on Friday night, Isaquias Queiroz's unprecedented gold in canoeing yielded a 55% growth for Globo in the PNT, with 17 points. The victory reached 20 points in Rio, and 16 in São Paulo.

Source: https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/olimpiadas/ultimas-noticias/2021/08/07/globo-bate-recordes-de-audiencia-com-3-ouros-em-menos-de-12h-nas-olimpiadas.htm

Yup, CBC sucked. So much stuff they hardly showed. I know you can go onto Amazon Prime and Youtube, but they hardly showed anything from the Velodrome and Equestrian events as well as other stuff.

3 hours ago, SkiFreak said:

Yup, CBC sucked. So much stuff they hardly showed. I know you can go onto Amazon Prime and Youtube, but they hardly showed anything from the Velodrome and Equestrian events as well as other stuff.

What annoys me, many are throwing their arms in the air about NBC not showing O Canada after the gold medal final for soccer (football).

I've been having to stick to the CBC streams online to get real impartial coverage during these games, and to actually see entire medal ceremonies. CBC's coverage is much more "nationalistic" than NBC's coverage is, heck NBC showed Rhythmic Gymnastics when the only US competitor didn't have any real chance of winning.

Even as we speak there's action in the velodrome, they are skipping entire races because there's no Canadians in them, I think CBC's coverage is inherently disrespectful myself.

1 hour ago, MisterSG1 said:

What annoys me, many are throwing their arms in the air about NBC not showing O Canada after the gold medal final for soccer (football).

I've been having to stick to the CBC streams online to get real impartial coverage during these games, and to actually see entire medal ceremonies. CBC's coverage is much more "nationalistic" than NBC's coverage is, heck NBC showed Rhythmic Gymnastics when the only US competitor didn't have any real chance of winning.

Even as we speak there's action in the velodrome, they are skipping entire races because there's no Canadians in them, I think CBC's coverage is inherently disrespectful myself.

It still amazes me how many Americans think that NBC is as jingoistic as you can get and I really want to say to them "have you actually watched CBC before?"  That's not necessarily an insult to either, just the nature of the beast.  I had access to CBC for the 1998 and 2000 Olympics.  I can vividly recall Brian Williams being absolutely beside himself when Ross Rebagliati was initially stripped of his gold medal.  Didn't hold back whatsoever in blasting the IOC for making a horrible decision.

3 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

It still amazes me how many Americans think that NBC is as jingoistic as you can get and I really want to say to them "have you actually watched CBC before?"  That's not necessarily an insult to either, just the nature of the beast.  I had access to CBC for the 1998 and 2000 Olympics.  I can vividly recall Brian Williams being absolutely beside himself when Ross Rebagliati was initially stripped of his gold medal.  Didn't hold back whatsoever in blasting the IOC for making a horrible decision.

And that really is the thing. Many in Canada can't seem to see past this either. I do remember seeing NBC in the past, I think it was the Sochi games, show coverage or replays of Biathlon events. CBC rarely shows anything that Canadians are not in, like Modern Pentathlon for instance.

I remember the whole Bailey-Johnson feud, and I admit myself that Donovan Bailey is a piece of work, unlike a much more respectful track and field athlete like Andre De Grasse or Damian Warner. 

Thankfully we have access to live streams, so we can actually watch events, unlike whatever the CBC wants to show us.

I paid attention to many hours of CBC coverage, and I never did see a medal ceremony with no Canadians on the podium. The only anthem I ever saw from medal ceremonies on CBC itself was O Canada, had a Canadian had silver or bronze, they would cut the ceremony off before the anthem plays. So yes, I agree with you, CBC are much worse than NBC at this.