So, will the 2020 Paralympics even happen?

15 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Really seems soooo anti-climactic to hold those.  

I don't think the IOC will lose much $$-wise if those are cancelled already.  

You're right about the IOC- but of course the people with much to lose are the IPC.

The idea that the Paralympics can just be discarded as a cost-cutting exercise also surfaced in Rio 2016. Standing their ground back then turned out to be the right thing to do, and the Paralympics worked well.

4 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

You're right about the IOC- but of course the people with much to lose are the IPC.

The idea that the Paralympics can just be discarded as a cost-cutting exercise also surfaced in Rio 2016. Standing their ground back then turned out to be the right thing to do, and the Paralympics worked well.

But I pose this question more as the Covid situation in Japan gets worse -- not because of cost-cutting reasons.  I mean after August 8th, the Japanese public MIGHT jsut want to wash their hands of the entire hosting thing at all, regardless of the slight for the para-athletes who don't bring in giant TV contracts anyway.  

On 7/15/2021 at 11:50 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

But I pose this question more as the Covid situation in Japan gets worse -- not because of cost-cutting reasons.  I mean after August 8th, the Japanese public MIGHT jsut want to wash their hands of the entire hosting thing at all, regardless of the slight for the para-athletes who don't bring in giant TV contracts anyway.  

If the events are to be held without stadium spectators, then health issues are almost irrelevant. It's basically a choice between losing (more) money and losing face. Losing face matters in Japan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

If the events are to be held without stadium spectators, then health issues are almost irrelevant. It's basically a choice between losing (more) money and losing face. Losing face matters in Japan.

Not really.  Remember, things could get pretty bad even by the 1st week of August -- and I think Parathletes are more vulnerable than your able-bodied athletes.  So I don't see Japan wanting to prolong the untenable situation longer than necessary.  

8 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Not really.  Remember, things could get pretty bad even by the 1st week of August -- and I think Parathletes are more vulnerable than your able-bodied athletes.  So I don't see Japan wanting to prolong the untenable situation longer than necessary.  

Over 80% of athletes had been vaccinated by this time last month, and with manufacturers offering free doses for all competitors, that figure should continue to rise. This may be one of the few situations so far where herd immunity actually comes into effect.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Victorian said:

If the Paralympics don't happen it will raise discrimination claims across the globe seeing the Olympics were able to happen but not Tokyo

If Covid cannot be controlled in Japan by the end of the regular Olympics, I think they will just cut short all hosting.  Practicaility and common sense will far outweigh any "look of discrimination" vs. disabled athletes.  The IPC will understand this.