How do you feel about these Olympics?

We're just a few days out from the start of the delayed Tokyo Olympics. And yet, despite so many fond Olympic memories dating back to the Games of Barcelona nearly 30 years ago, I find myself really lacking enthusiasm for what should be the greatest sporting show on Earth. 

When I think back nine years, to when this country was gearing up for the Games, I remember the collective excitement and anticipation of what was to come. People who weren't normally interested in sport were glued to their TVs and those of us who were fortunate enough to see some of the events in person knew were were having the experience of a lifetime. Contrast that to now. These Games are set to take place in largely empty arenas with a sterile, flat atmosphere. According to a poll I saw yesterday, two thirds of British people surveyed don't believe the Games should be happening and that proportion is a lot bigger in the host nation itself. 

During the pandemic, sport has been a vital means of escape for many people, myself included.  But, given coronavirus is still with us, and the associated challenges we all face, I am genuinely torn about whether holding the Games now is the right thing to do or not. So how are you feeling?

I'd feel a lot better if the Japanese government had been a little more aggressive with its vaccine rollout and that the public that is footing the bill for a lot of it would actually get to enjoy it in person. I couldn't stand sports without spectators during the past year with the lack of atmosphere and the lame attempt to liven it up with recorded crowd noise. Frankly, it was depressing and did more to remind me of the situation than make me forget it. That being said, I only have so many Olympics left and I'm not going to skip one just because of this.

As far as the Games, I just hope all the IOC pronouncements about a 85% vaccination rate among participants is true and that all these playbooks actually work, just to show that this can be pulled off so we can go forward and plan accordingly. 

i am really excited for the games as i love sport regardless of if fans are in the arenas or not. yeah its not the same but watching on tv at home it can still be awesome :)

I am super pumped for the baseball and softball at these games. It is my own dream to one day compete for USA at an olympics for Baseball.

• 2 weeks later...

It's just about 2.45 Tuesday morning as I write this. I arrived home just over three hours ago from a few days away. I haven't yet been to bed and am on the sofa watching the swimming. Think I've got my Olympic enthusiasm back.

Yeah, I’m definitely enjoying them and rekindling the old Olympic enthusiasm. I really didn’t feel any anticipation for these games until about two days before (when Brisbane’s win started creating a bit of buzz her in Oz and on GamesBids). The opening still had me feeling a bit flat, but now the events are in full swing, yeah, I’m glued.

i will say, though, that crowds, and lack thereof, DO make a big difference. I feel a bit more engaged with events that have a bit of a crowd, like the road events and the swimming. Those without are still intriguing to watch, but feel a bit sterile.

Despite the lack of crowds the sports have just been awesome to watch. So many great performances.

Swimming has now completed and it is sad to see the end of it as it is always one of the most exciting events. Guess we are in the final half of these games now.