After losing 2020 Olympic bid to Tokyo, Istanbul mayor to target hosting the Games in 2036

GBModerator

On 7/18/2021 at 1:23 AM, StefanMUC said:

If there‘s no better option, the IOC will pick this up. And Baku certainly isn‘t a better option, their human rights issues are no better than Turkey‘s, they just have oil money to put glitter over the cracks.

Exactly. The “very competitive” bid races from the past are long gone. And if all the IOC has to choose from is ground beef or chopped liver, a hamburger sounds very, very appetizing then!

IMO Istanbul is in the same class as the likes of prospective bidders like Baku, Doha, Buenos Aires, and Jakarta. It's not even going to be under consideration as long as there's a bid from the U.S. Russia, Western Europe, Korea, or China (I left out Australia since they have 2032 and I left our Japan since it's likely to be decades before Japan bids again after the Tokyo fiasco). Having said that if the IOC has an Olympics where none of the above regions are bidding then I could see Istanbul being chosen over the likes of Baku or Doha.

19 hours ago, FYI said:

It’s not so much that places like Istanbul & St. Petersburg are getting “legitimacy”, per se. It’s that they’re most likely to stick it out with a bid ‘til the end, in these days of democratic anti-Olympics, much like the 2022 winter race was, where only 2 subpar cities were left standing, from autocratic regimes, when all the other attractive & democratic Western European candidates jumped ship. When you can’t have filet mignot, then ground beef is the next best thing, if nothing else is available.

I also wouldn’t consider Brisbane a ‘tier 2’ city either. It’s more like a tier 3. Much like Atlanta was back in the 90’s when they were elected & then hosted. That’s why many questions still linger by many over it’s selection in regards to feasibility, especially when the Summer Games have grown exponentially since then. 

Nonsense.  You’re living in the past.

Brisbane was just voted in as the 2032 Olympic Games Host 2 hours ago by a huge majority of IOC Members in the first Regional Bid awarded in Olympic history under the New Norm rules.

There is no such doubts in the IOC who only had 3 members who who voted against the Bid and 5 abstensions.

72 Voted YES for Brisbane in the first such Election of an Olympic Host.

Take note,  the other 2032 interested Bidders were Madrid, Doha, Rhine-Rhur, Toronto, Jakarta, Budapest, St Petersburg. 

They were not good enough. 

It does matter a rat’s ass whether a city is in a Tier,  whether a bid is fillet mignon or ground beef, that’s complete nonsense talk and not connected to the realityof the new Bidding Rules, the New Norm era.

The world has taken notice.

Today’s election of the lower costs Brisbane/Regional Bid will encourage a new budders and  list of unsuccessful 2032 Bidders to bid for the Olympic Games -   Brisbane is just the first.

I’m sorry for beautiful Turkey but the way human rights was mentioned today, shows that Turkey actually gone backwards and imo  is a long way off.   

Take note, there is a whole lot of younger IOC Members in there now compared to even 5 or 10 years ago when the likes of Beijing 2022 were voted in.

who cares about that.  The IOC certainly don’t and changed the rules to allow Regional Bids.

It certainly got nothing to do with today’s highly praised successful Brisbane 2032 Candidature.

A long list a feasibilty studies, 80% of 

3 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Nonsense. 

that's complete nonsense talk

Yes, I know. That's basically all you wrote.  That, along with nothing but confirmation bias.

Of course 72 members voted yes. What else were they suppose to do (when the "ballot" was really nothing but a default one)? Vote no & the IOC (well, more like Bach & Co.) have yet another scandal on their hands? That the overall membership went against the ultimate "wisdom" of the board? Please. 

Only time will tell if all of your windbag talk will have any meaning whatsoever, or not. And also, please stop hijacking a whole bunch of threads with all of your Brisbane sore-winner "nonsense". That's what your holier-than-thou Brisbane '32 thread is for. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, FYI said:

Yes, I know. That's basically all you wrote.  That, along with nothing but confirmation bias.

Of course 72 members voted yes. What else were they suppose to do (when the "ballot" was really nothing but a default one)? Vote no & the IOC (well, more like Bach & Co.) have yet another scandal on their hands? That the overall membership went against the ultimate "wisdom" of the board? Please. 

Only time will tell if all of your windbag talk will have any meaning whatsoever, or not. And also, please stop hijacking a whole bunch of threads with all of your Brisbane sore-winner "nonsense". That's what your holier-than-thou Brisbane '32 thread is for. Thank you.

It was you that introduced Bisbane into this thread about Istanbul so don’t bleet about hijacking a thread.

It was me that responded with a link about Brisbane breaking the mould.

You will also also notice that I returned on topic with how Turkey has slipped further back with a younger average age of IOC membership and how a significant chunk of the IOC membershio has changed even since the likes of Beijing 2022 was elected.

22 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

It was you that introduced Bisbane into this thread about Istanbul so don’t bleet about hijacking a thread.

Uhh, NO I didn't. It was another Brisbanite that did. All I did was merely comment on their comment, & then *you* came in here BLASTING all over me with your blustery know-it-all-ism.

5 minutes ago, FYI said:

Uhh, NO I didn't. It was another Brisbanite that did. All I did was merely comment on their comment, & then *you* came in here BLASTING all over me with your blustery know-it-all-ism.

In a thread about Istanbul, you also discussed the chances of other cities like St Petersburg, before you discussed Atlanta and Brisbane.

You went further, you started talking about questions remaing over Brisbane’s credentials, on the day they were elected 2032 Host.

Yet when someone responds to the points you make about other cities besides Istanbul, you don’t like it and say they are hijacking a thread.

Anyway, the likes of Istanbul and St Petersberg are beautiful places to visit but a younger, progressive IOC membership increasingly have human rights in their vocabulary. They also certainly have systemic national doping high in their consciousness and is why Russia is currently banned from the Games.   Human rights was actually brought up in the Bid presentation yesterday before the Vote.

In terms of Turkey’s Olympic bidding chances go, Istanbul’s mayor has got a battle on his hands to make up a lot of ground that his dictator crushing-human-rights national government has lost.

Brisbane’s break-through regional low-cost win yesterday will encourage other bidders to put their hands up and the chances of Istanbul, St Petersberg, etc will be pushed further back in the pack because of the huge dark clouds over them.

IOC Membership Voting of Olympic Hosts is done through a secret ballot with individual voting devices now and so if a Member votes against a candidate they don’t like, no-one within the IOC will ever know.

Yes, it’s a new ball park now. 

7 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Anyway, the likes of Istanbul and St Petersberg are beautiful places to visit but a younger, progressive IOC membership increasingly have human rights in their vocabulary. They also certainly have systemic national doping high in their consciousness and is why Russia is currently banned from the Games.   Human rights was actually brought up in the Bid presentation yesterday before the Vote.

I‘m close to tears seeing that people are so gullible swallowing IOC propaganda still.

You know what really makes up most of the IOC vocabulary? Money, power, status.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

I‘m close to tears seeing that people are so gullible swallowing IOC propaganda still.

You know what really makes up most of the IOC vocabulary? Money, power, status.

You might be close to tears but whatever is bringing you to tears but this is a new age, the rules have changed and the reality of who bids and who gets elected is starting to happen.

Forget status.  Lower costs, existing venues and a whole raft of new changes started yesterday.  

That was the reality of what happened yesterday and Istanbul is as far away as ever because they are not safe hands.

Yes the Istanbul Mayor is battling his national government but the Mayor himself must be deluded that he thinks that a he wants to launch an Olympic bid and think that everyone will forget with a violent tear gassed breakup of a Pride march last month.

It beggars belief that Istanbul Mayor has got his bid announcment timing so badly wrong.

Just now, AustralianFan said:

In a thread about Istanbul, you also discussed the chances of other cities like St Petersburg, before you discussed Atlanta and Brisbane.

Uhh, there again, SOMEONE ELSE brought up St. Petersburg. So again there, I merely responded to it.

3 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

You went further, you started talking about questions remaing over Brisbane’s credentials, on the day they were elected 2032 Host.

That comment was actually BEFORE the vote, even though it was the same day. And what of it? It's not like I only have those remaining questions. Even Coates' said that Brisbane 2032 "was not a done deal yet" days/weeks before the vote.

13 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

IOC Membership Voting of Olympic Hosts is done through a secret ballot with individual voting devices now and so if a Member votes against a candidate they don’t like, no-one within the IOC will ever know. 

The voting has been by secret ballot for quite some time now. That is not something "new".

16 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Brisbane’s break-through regional low-cost win yesterday will encourage other bidders to put their hands up and the chances of Istanbul, St Petersberg, etc will be pushed further back in the pack because of the huge dark clouds over them.

Unless you have a crystal ball, there's no way to really know that now. What we do know right now, though, is cities from the vast of democratic countries want no part in hosting the Olympic Games anymore, due to their severe graft & expense. And until actual results, which still remain to be seen, start coming in, that's not gonna change anytime soon, no matter how much a "younger IOC" is more in tune with human rights, because one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. As bears repeating again here, but beggars can't be choosers. 

All this Brisbane "gonna save the day" talk is all too familiar really. It's something the L.A. 2028 crowd likes to boast about, too That "cities will be just lining u again" after their city hosts & saves the day LOL! Every hometown host critic is that THEIR city is going to be the next "savior" of the Olympic Games. I'll believe it, when I see it. But until then, all that fanciful talk is just that, talk.

27 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Yes, it’s a new ball park now. 

Yeah, you're right about that one. The Bach/Coates ball park. 

2 minutes ago, FYI said:

Uhh, there again, SOMEONE ELSE brought up St. Petersburg. So again there, I merely responded to it.

That comment was actually BEFORE the vote, even though it was the same day. And what of it? It's not like I only have those remaining questions. Even Coates' said that Brisbane 2032 "was not a done deal yet" days/weeks before the vote.

The voting has been by secret ballot for quite some time now. That is not something "new".

Unless you have a crystal ball, there's no way to really know that now. What we do know right now, though, is cities from the vast of democratic countries want no part in hosting the Olympic Games anymore, due to their severe graft & expense. And until actual results, which still remain to be seen, start coming in, that's not gonna change anytime soon, no matter how much a "younger IOC" is more in tune with human rights, because one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. As bears repeating again here, but beggars can't be choosers. 

All this Brisbane "gonna save the day" talk is all too familiar really. It's something the L.A. 2028 crowd likes to boast about, too That "cities will be just lining u again" after their city hosts & saves the day LOL! Every hometown host critic is that THEIR city is going to be the next "savior" of the Olympic Games. I'll believe it, when I see it. But until then, all that fanciful talk is just that, talk.

Yeah, you're right about that one. The Bach/Coates ball park. 

I take it you don’t like change.

2 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

I take it you don’t like change.

Thank you for making this about me, I'm flattered. :D But I'm not the one who's to make the change, it's the IOC, remember? And until we start seeing those so-called changes with the so-called "new norms", then we can start to rejoice. But until then, there is no change. As a USOC member once said; "put some skin in this game".

And funny, you boast about a "younger, more progressive IOC" nowadays, but isn't it ironic that the two most powerful men within the IOC are two old fuddy-duddys by the name of Bach & Coates? Why don't you talk to them about "change" first.

1 hour ago, FYI said:

Thank you for making this about me, I'm flattered. :D But I'm not the one who's to make the change, it's the IOC, remember? And until we start seeing those so-called changes with the so-called "new norms", then we can start to rejoice. But until then, there is no change. As a USOC member once said; "put some skin in this game".

And funny, you boast about a "younger, more progressive IOC" nowadays, but isn't it ironic that the two most powerful men within the IOC are two old fuddy-duddys by the name of Bach & Coates? Why don't you talk to them about "change" first.

Neither of whom voted yesterday.

Yesterday was the breakthrough actual New Norm Host.

The first one.

Yesterday.  Brisbane regional low-cost , legacy use, New Norm Hos   Elected Yesterday.

Rejoice mate, because unless someone has been under a rock for the last 24 hours, the break-through actual evidencd you speak ok i right under your nose.

Change has happened, its actually happened and will continue to do so.

People who don’t like change completely miss the whole thing when it does happen.

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Neither of whom voted yesterday.

As if that makes any difference. The rest of the membership still knew exactly the result that they both wanted. Plus, it still doesn't illustrate the "young & progressive" IOC that you like to boast about, since most, if not all, of them are way in the background.

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Rejoice mate, because unless someone has been under a rock for the last 24 hours, the break-through actual evidencd you speak ok i right under your nose.

Change has happened, its actually happened and will continue to do so.

People who don’t like change completely miss the whole thing when it does happen.

All way too premature to make a final judgment on. You want to pin the Olympic Gold medal before the marathon is even over. This 'new norm' journey has only just begun.

5 hours ago, FYI said:

As if that makes any difference. The rest of the membership still knew exactly the result that they both wanted. Plus, it still doesn't illustrate the "young & progressive" IOC that you like to boast about, since most, if not all, of them are way in the background.

All way too premature to make a final judgment on. You want to pin the Olympic Gold medal before the marathon is even over. This 'new norm' journey has only just begun.

what on earth are you talking about with this marathon and gold medal talk, thats in your head, not mine.

The change to a better Olympic Host selection process has begun.  It began yesterday with the first break-through Host in Briabane 2032.

On 7/21/2021 at 7:42 AM, AustralianFan said:

Nonsense.  You’re living in the past.

Brisbane was just voted in as the 2032 Olympic Games Host 2 hours ago by a huge majority of IOC Members in the first Regional Bid awarded in Olympic history under the New Norm rules.

There is no such doubts in the IOC who only had 3 members who who voted against the Bid and 5 abstensions.

72 Voted YES for Brisbane in the first such Election of an Olympic Host.

Take note,  the other 2032 interested Bidders were Madrid, Doha, Rhine-Rhur, Toronto, Jakarta, Budapest, St Petersburg. 

They were not good enough. 

It does matter a rat’s ass whether a city is in a Tier,  whether a bid is fillet mignon or ground beef, that’s complete nonsense talk and not connected to the realityof the new Bidding Rules, the New Norm era.

The world has taken notice.

Today’s election of the lower costs Brisbane/Regional Bid will encourage a new budders and  list of unsuccessful 2032 Bidders to bid for the Olympic Games -   Brisbane is just the first.

Take note, there is a whole lot of younger IOC Members in there now compared to even 5 or 10 years ago when the likes of Beijing 2022 were voted in.

Brisbane was the only candidate the IOC engaged, hardly a democratic process. The likes of Doha and Jakarta are nowhere on the IOC's radar and both won't be in 2036 either if you see my previous posts about what regions and countries are likely going to be considered as future SOGs hosts. The German bid was never consulted. The DOSB said this and the IOC gave a swift but not surprising rebuke. Frankly, I'd speculate the most likely reason the German bid never gained IOC support was because of the threat of a referendum like the ones that derailed Hamburg and Munich. So this is the New Norm. The IOC will zero in on a host and work with it until they are satisfied the city can do the job. I certainly wouldn't call it an open and transparent process especially since John Coates basically pushed this through not unlike what JAS did with Barcelona back in the 1992 race.

For all the talk about the New Norm, it's still untested. In fact, the jury is still out until an Olympics comes in within budget and doesn't have huge cost overruns. Fortunately, the next two SOGs in Paris and Los Angeles involve two cities with almost everything needed. As for Brisbane, well, they have a workable plan, but the budget that Coates and co. are putting out is woefully optimistic. Brisbane is going to require quite a lot of infrastructure investment. Even Los Angeles and Paris are finding this out. The price tag can go up quickly. Also, nothing the IOC has done has solved the fact the WOGs are on life support in terms of hosts yet the IOC in its own world thinks a host of candidate cities are going to come forward for 2030 when the only remotely acceptable candidate is Salt Lake City and they'd prefer 2034 for reasons already discussed. Who else is there for 2030? Vancouver maybe. I still don't think the Barcelona bid gets out of the starting gate.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:45 AM, AustralianFan said:

Brisbane breaks bread and Olympic mould to secure 2032 Games

Brisbane Times - Click to here read more - July 21, 2021

Mouldy bread.  That's what the IOC members were forced to have yesterday.  Isn't that what they served the populace at the height of Stalinism in the old USSR?   It truly was like a Communist country "vote" -- only ONE candidate -- NOT even write-ins.  Thank God, there were 8 who pushed back in Tokyo.  I am sure mon gran-gran-pere would NOT have approved!!  :angry:

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Haha 1