Jump to content

After losing 2020 Olympic bid to Tokyo, Istanbul mayor to target hosting the Games in 2036


GBModerator
 Share

Recommended Posts

Turkish sport officials will have a lot on their minds next week when the postponed Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games finally open in empty stadiums and amid a state of emergency due to the raging Coronavirus pandemic. They’ll wonder if Istanbul missed out, or simply dodged a proverbial bullet eight years ago when Tokyo defeated the […]

The post After losing 2020 Olympic bid to Tokyo, Istanbul mayor to target hosting the Games in 2036 appeared first on GamesBids.com.

View the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Theyre eventually gonna get one.  Just on candidate scarcity alone.  They will be the number one "tier two" candidate that has issues.  But theyll need NO tier one cities to bid for that to happen IMO.  If Madrid or London go in for it again, same result as before IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Based on current IOC's trend of host selection, it will be hard for Istanbul, unless they start doing enough communication and relationship to ensure they get enough votes.  In short, know how's the games being played.

Istanbul 2020 bid made many great effort, too bad the opponent too strong.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Istanbul is certainly a more desirable place than say, Do-haha, Ba-kukoo or my new favorite "Ja-Farta"! :lol: And considering the IOC is also now running out of "safer" options, they may give Istanbul the nod sooner, rather than later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Istanbul is a magnificent city, definitely better than Doha (what a dump) and Baku.

Jakarta is a fantastic city in an important, very large country...And Indonesia will get the Games sooner or later (their economy will be the size of the UK this century). They are moving the capital at the moment, I imagine they will have a more serious bid when that is all sorted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GO Istanbul 2036 -- although I think more of the sports will take place outside Istanbul proper and more in Ankara (where there is space for new venues) not unless they turn the Blue Mosque and the Haga Sophia into competition venues.  Istanbul is simply too built up and with them starting to build the Istanbul Canal, that will displace even more homes and businesses to make way for it.  Even more than just greater Istanbul, Turkey is quite a magnificent and fascinating country.  I can see Izmir and Antalya (with excellent climates) also grab more sports.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All jokes aside. If Instanbul was elected, be prepare for a Beijing 2008/2022-like siutation and this image will tell you why: 922499.jpg

This will not be good for all sporting organizations (not just the IOC).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

What the f—- ?

  • Turkey is gorgoeus as a country but it has zero chance of support for an Olympics right now from the IOC
  • Authoriarian government with a loose cannon maniac in charge of the country
  • Violence against public gathering to protest against the government
  • Has withdrawn from their Istanbul Convention on violence against women
  • widespread violence against LGBTQ individuals and organisations in Turkey
  • on 26 June 2021 used tear gas to disperse a peaceful Pride Parade.
  • picking a border fight with Greece this year
  • 7,000 plus COVID cases yesterday

Seriously, am Inliving in a parrallel universe?

The stupidity of the Istanbul Mayor to even right think of such a stupid and arrogant idea of bidding for an Olympics right now let alone let the words slip out of his mouth.

Come on guys, do you really honestly they look good to the IOC right now for even 2036? 

The Mayor of Istanbul is seriously deluded, I’m sorry.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2021 at 8:20 AM, FYI said:

Istanbul is certainly a more desirable place than say, Do-haha, Ba-kukoo or my new favorite "Ja-Farta"! :lol: And considering the IOC is also now running out of "safer" options, they may give Istanbul the nod sooner, rather than later.

Istanbul amd Turkey is the opposite of safe right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Istanbul amd Turkey is the opposite of safe right now.

That's not what I said, though. What I said was since the IOC is RUNNING OUT of "safer options" to pick from, they may not have much to choose from for 2036, much like was the cards dealt to the IOC for 2022. Turkey right now is all those things you listed. But if no one else that's CREDIBLE & viable wants it (which seems to be the growing case these days, unless again, you're a authoritarian gov't like China, Russia or Turkey), then beggars can't be choosers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FYI said:

That's not what I said, though. What I said was since the IOC is RUNNING OUT of "safer options" to pick from, they may not have much to choose from for 2036, much like was the cards dealt to the IOC for 2022. Turkey right now is all those things you listed. But if no one else that's CREDIBLE & viable wants it (which seems to be the growing case these days, unless again, you're a authoritarian gov't like China, Russia or Turkey), then beggars can't be choosers. 

I think safer options will emerge by then and maybe from Bidders currently parked in 2032 Continuous Dialogue if they overcome their current problems., eg Rhine-Rhur Germany, Toronto, Jakarta, Budapest, etc.

The IOC would rather cut its leg off than enter talks with Turkey, let alone award an Olympic Games, right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

I think safer options will emerge by then and maybe from Bidders currently parked in 2032 Continuous Dialogue if they overcome their current problems., eg Rhine-Rhur Germany, Toronto, Jakarta, Budapest, etc.

That remains to be seen, though, especially in the case of Germany. A lot of people around the world, particularly in democratic countries, are starting to wise up on the total “sham” that has become the Olympic Games these days, especially on the host cities (& particularly now with Tokyo). So much so, that the question of - “have the Olympic Games finally run their course?” - comes into play very much these days. 

And seriously, Jakarta & Budapest are now suddenly “safer options” for say 2036, when they weren’t for 2032 (when of course Brisbane was in the mix for those Games)? :blink: Jakarta is a sinking, polluted & over-congested mess. And Hungary is not that far behind Turkey these days is becoming a totalitarian gov’t themselves sometime soon, too. To name those two as “safer options” sounds quite ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

The IOC would rather cut its leg off than enter talks with Turkey, let alone award an Olympic Games, right now.

I’m sure many would’ve said the same thing before the IOC awarded China not just one, but two Olympic Games this century alone. Not to mention Russia, as well. And considering how the IOC pretty much runs itself as an autocratic regime too, they probably shouldn’t feel that much out of touch with such gov’t’s anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, FYI said:

That remains to be seen, though, especially in the case of Germany. A lot of people around the world, particularly in democratic countries, are starting to wise up on the total “sham” that has become the Olympic Games these days, especially on the host cities (& particularly now with Tokyo). So much so, that the question of - “have the Olympic Games finally run their course?” - comes into play very much these days. 

And seriously, Jakarta & Budapest are now suddenly “safer options” for say 2036, when they weren’t for 2032 (when of course Brisbane was in the mix for those Games)? :blink: Jakarta is a sinking, polluted & over-congested mess. And Hungary is not that far behind Turkey these days is becoming a totalitarian gov’t themselves sometime soon, too. To name those two as “safer options” sounds quite ridiculous. 

I’m sure many would’ve said the same thing before the IOC awarded China not just one, but two Olympic Games this century alone. Not to mention Russia, as well. And considering how the IOC pretty much runs itself as an autocratic regime too, they probably shouldn’t feel that much out of touch with such gov’t’s anyway.

Those 2032 Bidders who are currently parked in Continuous Dialogue,  are just that - currently parked in Continuous Dialogue.

You misread it.

I said “ from the bidders currently parked in Continuous Dialogue”.  I never said they were all safe pairs of hands

It will be up to each of them to overcome their current problems and also for the IOC to decide who of the still-emerging 2036 field ticks all the boxes and is a safe pair of hands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

It will be up to each of them to overcome their current problems and also for the IOC to decide who of the still-emerging 2036 field ticks all the boxes and is a safe pair of hands.

Don’t you mean the Executive Board to ‘decide’. Since the overall membership hardly has a say in the selection process anymore, other than to nod their heads in “yes” to what’s being presented in front of them, like school children at a puppet show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The IOC will still encourage Turkey to bid, they always have done and they will want to keep the interest going as long as they can.

COVID may be a good thing for the IOC in the future as by 2036, 3 games in very capable cities will have hosted and countries will want to host events to help boost their economies post pandemic, more so countries that already have the infrastructure and venues. A successful post Paris games should see more interested cities put up their hands.

I would rather see Baku host than Istanbul. They are more of a stable country than Turkey at the. moment, yes they have issues, but no doubt would put on a safe and efficient games for athletes and spectators alike.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FYI said:

Don’t you mean the Executive Board to ‘decide’. Since the overall membership hardly has a say in the selection process anymore, other than to nod their heads in “yes” to what’s being presented in front of them, like school children at a puppet show.

The IOC Executive Board can recommend more than bidder to move from Continuous Dialogue into the Targeted Dialogue phase, for example two candidates who tick all the boxes.

If during the Target Dialogue, the Future Host Commission decides to recommend both bids are suitable, it produces two Future Host Commission Reports an can recommend to the IOC Executive Board that both Bids are suitable to go to a Vote by the full IOC Session.

If the IOC Executive Board agrees, then in that scenario, the Vote of the IOC Members will be to choose between the two and weighing up any recommendations from the IOC Executive Board.

For 2032, of all the Bidders, only Brisbane ticked all the boxes at this moment in time and so on Wednesday, is the only candidate recommended to be Host.  This for everyone, is the first time that the Olympic Movement have selected a Host in this way if Brisbane is voted in as Host.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Olympian2005 said:

The IOC will still encourage Turkey to bid, they always have done and they will want to keep the interest going as long as they can.

COVID may be a good thing for the IOC in the future as by 2036, 3 games in very capable cities will have hosted and countries will want to host events to help boost their economies post pandemic, more so countries that already have the infrastructure and venues. A successful post Paris games should see more interested cities put up their hands.

I would rather see Baku host than Istanbul. They are more of a stable country than Turkey at the. moment, yes they have issues, but no doubt would put on a safe and efficient games for athletes and spectators alike.

I highly doubt that the IOC will touch Turkey with a 50 foot barge pole if they can help it, let alone encouraging a Bid. 

Turkey’s credentials as a “Humanity” host are at rock bottom right now and a world away from past Bids when they were very competitive.

The IOC won’t deliberately go looking for trouble if they can help it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Istanbul mayor is a staunch opponent of Erdogan AFAIK, the elections even had to be repeated because Erdo didn‘t like the outcome, but 2nd time was the same.

Maybe the mayor speculates that by the time 2036 is on the line, there‘s no longer that „loose cannon maniac“ in charge.

If there‘s no better option, the IOC will pick this up. And Baku certainly isn‘t a better option, their human rights issues are no better than Turkey‘s, they just have oil money to put glitter over the cracks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, not trying to be snide.  Legitimately curious.  Why are the "tier 2" cities like Istanbul and St. Petersburg getting so much legitimacy (saw they wanted to do 2036 as well possibly with their own obvious can of worms)?  Is there sincere concern that Tokyo is such a nightmare that its gonna scare a London or a Madrid away so the Olympics will be forced into an Istanbul or a St Pete?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, iceman530 said:

So, not trying to be snide.  Legitimately curious.  Why are the "tier 2" cities like Istanbul and St. Petersburg getting so much legitimacy (saw they wanted to do 2036 as well possibly with their own obvious can of worms)?  Is there sincere concern that Tokyo is such a nightmare that its gonna scare a London or a Madrid away so the Olympics will be forced into an Istanbul or a St Pete?

because lets be honest, (and i say this as a Brisbane resident) Brisbane is hardly a tier 1 city. But what Brisbane will show is that tier 2 cities can host the games opening up the hosting to many more cities

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s not so much that places like Istanbul & St. Petersburg are getting “legitimacy”, per se. It’s that they’re most likely to stick it out with a bid ‘til the end, in these days of democratic anti-Olympics, much like the 2022 winter race was, where only 2 subpar cities were left standing, from autocratic regimes, when all the other attractive & democratic Western European candidates jumped ship. When you can’t have filet mignot, then ground beef is the next best thing, if nothing else is available.

I also wouldn’t consider Brisbane a ‘tier 2’ city either. It’s more like a tier 3. Much like Atlanta was back in the 90’s when they were elected & then hosted. That’s why many questions still linger by many over it’s selection in regards to feasibility, especially when the Summer Games have grown exponentially since then. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...