10K Magic No. for Tokyo/Sapporo

10,000 is proving to be the magic number for Tokyo 2020ne:

1.  10K torches were made  (not all used so far; they're saving some for the Paras, too(; 

2.  Except for OC, they will cap spectators at 10K for other events (which would probably only be in baseball and indoor volleyball.  Gymnastics?

3. They have also now shifted the 10K races (both genders) to Sapporo becuz of the heat.  So Sapporo will host the marathons, the Race-walking events and the 10K races.  (Hint, hint, Sapporo: we want you to bid for 2030!!  ;)  And of course, they're doing this so that Sapporo beats Beijing as being the first one-time Winter Olympic Host City to also host some Summer Olympic events -- just the reverse of what Beijing will be in 2022.  Although Karuizawa did that double duty for Tokyo 1964 (equestrian) and Nagano 1998 (Curling) but was NOT an anchor host city.) 

Will they cap the spectators in the streets to 10K?  :wacko:

Edited by baron-pierreIV
xxx

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

10,000 is proving to be the magic number for Tokyo 2020ne:

1.  10K torches were made  (not all used so far; they're saving some for the Paras, too(; 

2.  Except for OC, they will cap spectators at 10K for other events (which would probably only be in baseball and indoor volleyball.  Gymnastics?

3. They have also now shifted the 10K races (both genders) to Sapporo becuz of the heat.  So Sapporo will host the marathons, the Race-walking events and the 10K races.  (Hint, hint, Sapporo: we want you to bid for 2030!!  ;)  And of course, they're doing this so that Sapporo beats Beijing as being the first one-time Winter Olympic Host City to also host some Summer Olympic events -- just the reverse of what Beijing will be in 2022.  Although Karuizawa did that double duty for Tokyo 1964 (equestrian) and Nagano 1998 (Curling) but was NOT an anchor host city.) 

Will they cap the spectators in the streets to 10K?  :wacko:

Where can I find the story that they switched the 10k from Tokyo to Sapporo?

11 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I was watching the US Trials on TV earlier and the commentators mentioned it.  

Pretty sure you heard wrong.  The 10,000 meters is a track event.  It's still scheduled for the stadium in Tokyo.  Only the race walks and the marathons as you noted are in Sapporo

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/schedule/athletics-schedule

4 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Pretty sure you heard wrong.  The 10,000 meters is a track event.  It's still scheduled for the stadium in Tokyo.  Only the race walks and the marathons as you noted are in Sapporo

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/schedule/athletics-schedule

I know it's a TRACK event -- and that did click in my mind.  But there's certainly a track in Sapporo they can use.  I know I heard it.  But the commentators may have been misinformed -- OR maybe they had the LATEST bit of info which has not been confirmed until the logistics have been ironed out??  But moving the longer races-- or even the finals --  makes sense to me.  

5 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I know it's a TRACK event -- and that did click in my mind.  But there's certainly a track in Sapporo they can use.  I know I heard it.  But the commentators may have been misinformed -- OR maybe they had the LATEST bit of info which has not been confirmed until the logistics have been ironed out??  But moving the longer races-- or even the finals --  makes sense to me.  

Why would they move track races to Sapporo (as opposed to the race walks and the marathon which require a different venue to begin with)?  Do you honestly believe that a decision like that would be made less than a month out from the Games and somehow NBC's commentators are privy to information the rest of the public doesn't know yet?  Come on, you know better than that!

You heard wrong.  Don't think it's the commentators that are mis-informed here.  Perhaps you heard them note they moved races *at the trials* to the morning and conflated that with the notion of what will happen next month.

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Why would they move track races to Sapporo (as opposed to the race walks and the marathon which require a different venue to begin with)?  Do you honestly believe that a decision like that would be made less than a month out from the Games and somehow NBC's commentators are privy to information the rest of the public doesn't know yet?  Come on, you know better than that!

You heard wrong.  Don't think it's the commentators that are mis-informed here.  Perhaps you heard them note they moved races *at the trials* to the morning and conflated that with the notion of what will happen next month.

You're telling me what I heard and what I didn't?  You weren't there.  Also, why do the 5K and the 10K have to stay in the stadium?  Why can't they be laid out in the early parts of the marathon route?  They've got markers on the marathon route -- so it's easy enough to mark off the 5K and 10K marks there.  #1 - It would be a more interesting run for the athletes; #2 - it would be a more photogenic race; and #3 - it would ease up the congestion a the Tokyo village.  

You DON'T know either that maybe such a thing is in the offing or being planned?  Why aren't last-minute changes possible? So if a major earthquake hits Tokyo, subsequent plans won't adapt accordingly?? 

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

You're telling me what I heard and what I didn't?  You weren't there.  Also, why do the 5K and the 10K have to stay in the stadium?  Why can't they be laid out in the early parts of the marathon route?  They've got markers on the marathon route -- so it's easy enough to mark off the 5K and 10K marks there.  #1 - It would be a more interesting run for the athletes; #2 - it would be a more photogenic race; and #3 - it would ease up the congestion a the Tokyo village.  

You DON'T know either that maybe such a thing is in the offing or being planned?  Why aren't last-minute changes possible? So if a major earthquake hits Tokyo, subsequent plans won't adapt accordingly?? 

I'm telling you what I know you didn't hear.  You didn't hear that they're moving the 10k to Sapporo because it is not happening.  I DO know that such a thing is not being planned.  Because it if was, pretty sure someone other than you would be talking about it.

Take a seat on this on, baron.  This is what happens when you try to understand sports.  I know sweaty athletes aren't your thing.  Stick to the ceremonies, it's what you know.  Asking why the 5k and 10k have to be held in a stadium is a really dumb question and you shouldn't need that explained to you

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

I'm telling you what I know you didn't hear.  You didn't hear that they're moving the 10k to Sapporo because it is not happening.  I DO know that such a thing is not being planned.  Because it if was, pretty sure someone other than you would be talking about it.

Take a seat on this on, baron.  This is what happens when you try to understand sports.  I know sweaty athletes aren't your thing.  Stick to the ceremonies, it's what you know.  Asking why the 5k and 10k have to be held in a stadium is a really dumb question and you shouldn't need that explained to you

Enough with the condescending tone.  Uhmmm, FIVB just played their VNL matches at the Fiera Convention Center in Rimini.  It wasn't your regular arena but it worked well in their "bubble" concept.  You do know that the Race-walking races used to be held on the Track??  Funny how they moved those out.  

15 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Enough with the condescending tone.  Uhmmm, FIVB just played their VNL matches at the Fiera Convention Center in Rimini.  It wasn't your regular arena but it worked well in their "bubble" concept.  You do know that the Race-walking races used to be held on the Track??  Funny how they moved those out.  

Nah, this feels like one of those situations where a condescending tone is warranted.  Just admit that you were wrong and move on rather than try and justify what you think you heard with zero evidence of that information being accurate

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2021 at 7:07 AM, Quaker2001 said:

Nah, this feels like one of those situations where a condescending tone is warranted.  Just admit that you were wrong and move on rather than try and justify what you think you heard with zero evidence of that information being accurate

F*CK off!!  Nope, I wasn't wrong.  That's what I heard on the telecast.  YOU as always, Greasy-nosed SNOT, are wrong!!  

Edited by baron-pierreIV