2010 Commonwealth Winter Games?

Kenadian

Since when? And Kashmir on top of that with that earthquake still producing victims? Yeah, right...  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:

Well, I'm not that familiar with Commonwealth Games, but are they Winter Games? Since when?

The Commonwealth Games is one of the oldest international sporting events. It encompasses around the somewhat common scenario of countries around the world that had some degrees of British influence (English-speaking nations so to speak).

The Commonwealth Games is just dealing with summer sports. There is no winter counterpart to it. So, where these people think they can just do this is beyond comprehension to me. Besides, I just went to the official site of the CGF and it seems that it hasn't been "touched" since 2004.

I think someone over there went "overboard" in this matter. I guess that the strife between India and Pakistan is still high, despite the recent peace moves. Remember, that article is assumed to be from a Pakistani newspaper. Delhi, INDIA, is hosting the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Is it me or is it like what Kendegra said in his post and more behind this so-called move?

I don't see it so much as a marketing trick as a political point-scoring move on the part of Pakistan to dent the publicity it's arch-rival India will get from hosting the 2010 CWG games.

There's just no way this can be an official CWGs. The CWG Federation, for a start, would have had some sort of comment about it long before Pakistan decided to annoint itself the host. The fact that nothing seems to have been mentioned about this outside of Pakistan just seems to point that this is meant as some sort of political stunt meant for a domestic Pakistani audience.

Yeah, roltel. However, I'm a little concerned about how the official CGF website is being maintained. With the 2006 Commonwealth Games about to start in just over 2 months from now, one would think there would be "updated information" in that website. Instead, it hasn't been updated since 2004. Where did these guys go?  ???

Yeah, roltel. However, I'm a little concerned about how the official CGF website is being maintained. With the 2006 Commonwealth Games about to start in just over 2 months from now, one would think there would be "updated information" in that website. Instead, it hasn't been updated since 2004. Where did these guys go?  ???

yea exactly

:) Oh here we go again...

have to admit the CWG Federation site is dissapointing, and yes, it hasn't been updated since 2004!

I do rememder suggesting a winter carnival week and in the end we all agreed the final event would be the ice dancing after starting off with the less expensive to operate mountain side events...

The only problem is that only Canada and New Zealand would be able to host, Australia at a squeeze.

I finally found some mention of this in the International games Archive, which seems as puzzled as us about it. Interestingly, I think we all assumed that because it was in a Pakistan paper it was referring to Pakistani Kashmir, but the archive says the announcement was for Indian Kashmir and Jammu.

Winter Commonwealth Games: Past or Future, Fact or Fantasy?

January 7, 2006

Two years ago this month, Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president Suresh Kalmadi announced that India would be seeking to promote winter sports and possibly hosting winter SAF Games and Commonwealth Winter Games.

The new year brings announcements from India that the Kashmir Region has been selected to host Commonwealth Winter Games in 2010, with several news sources quoting Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad as the source of the announcement.

However, no other official sources or channels are confirming the news, most notably, the Commonwealth Games Federation, and no one is stating who made the award for the rights for the games. India has stated that they hope to develop areas in the Himalayas as world class ski resorts.

As for a future Commonwealth Winter Games, 2010 is a strange choice, other than India is already hosting the summer edition of the Commonwealth Games that same year. Holding games in January or February would conflict with the 2010 Olympic Games, and holding 2010 Commonwealth Winter Games after the 2010 Olympic Winter Games would probably diminish participation in the Commonwealth version of the games. Holding the games in December 2010 might work.

No written documentation such as programs or official reports are known to exist that would confirm that Commonwealth Winter Games have ever been held, but there are one or two mentions in athletes and coaching biographies (one from the Canadian Ski Museum), one calendar listing in Olympic Review, and medals imprinted with Commonwealth Winter Games have been spotted on eBay. Research continues.....

Here's a link to the archive as well. An interesting site:

International Games Archive

Thanks, roltel. I saw that and thought it was too weird for me to believe it. But, what are the real chances of having this actually happening? None, to me.

Is the Commonwealth serious about having a Winter version of the games? There would be no competition for Canada and they would basically sweep the medals in the majority of events.

NO!

• 4 years later...

:mellow: Funny this thread comes back now...

Still the idea of a Commonwealth Winter Games I find rather appealing, even if it's just for a week and only involves Mountainside events to begin with. (that includes x-games sports).

:mellow: Funny this thread comes back now...

Still the idea of a Commonwealth Winter Games I find rather appealing, even if it's just for a week and only involves Mountainside events to begin with. (that includes x-games sports).

Actually wouldn't an indoors ice and non-alpine model be better? That way you can forget the need to stay only in Canada or perhaps NZ (forget the Kashmir area...our subcontinental friends couldn't organise a pissup in a brewey on the evidence of Delhi, and last time I looked Kashmir was the place to be if you wanted to start an Indo-Pakistani war).

Speaking utterly hypothetically how about a WCG that has:

Curling

Ice Dancing

Ice Skating

Short Track Speed Skating

Ice Hockey

Freestyle skiing (moguls/aerials/ski-cross/half-pipe)

Snowboard (moguls, snowboard cross/slalom/half-pipe)

Okay, I know that Africa would be out as would South East Asia and the Carribean but for say a week long contest it might have some legs. Or perhaps refine the concept further and have some combined teams from the non-alpine groupings of nations (i.e. an All African curling team or an all-Asian ice hockey team). Then you might have the likes of Canberra, Inverness or Christchurch picking up the host rights...

A pipe dream for sure :D

So...wonder how we'd all be feeling if the Kashmir 2010 WCGs had somehow got off the ground?

Also, has anyone ever been able to find any information about the 1962 St Moritz WCGs? I've seen some brief entries on the net but nothing substantive. Found this nice image of a participation medal...

wcg.jpg

Well, well, well. You learn something new every day. I'd never heard about these until I read your post, Seb. And it sent me onto hours of research trying to find anything more. You're right, sources are few and far between. The only extra info I've managed to find beyond the fact that they took place in January 1962, is that Aussie skier Christine Idris, who also competed at Innsbruck 1964, competed at the St Moritz Winter Commies. I'd be fascinated to hear more myself.

So...wonder how we'd all be feeling if the Kashmir 2010 WCGs had somehow got off the ground?

Also, has anyone ever been able to find any information about the 1962 St Moritz WCGs? I've seen some brief entries on the net but nothing substantive. Found this nice image of a participation medal...

wcg.jpg

Seb, stop bringing out all these obscure facts!! My book will never see a complete, definitive version if you DO!! :angry:;)

Actually wouldn't an indoors ice and non-alpine model be better? That way you can forget the need to stay only in Canada or perhaps NZ (forget the Kashmir area...our subcontinental friends couldn't organise a pissup in a brewey on the evidence of Delhi, and last time I looked Kashmir was the place to be if you wanted to start an Indo-Pakistani war).

Speaking utterly hypothetically how about a WCG that has:

Curling

Ice Dancing

Ice Skating

Short Track Speed Skating

Ice Hockey

Freestyle skiing (moguls/aerials/ski-cross/half-pipe)

Snowboard (moguls, snowboard cross/slalom/half-pipe)

Okay, I know that Africa would be out as would South East Asia and the Carribean but for say a week long contest it might have some legs. Or perhaps refine the concept further and have some combined teams from the non-alpine groupings of nations (i.e. an All African curling team or an all-Asian ice hockey team). Then you might have the likes of Canberra, Inverness or Christchurch picking up the host rights...

A pipe dream for sure :D

Yeah but still an idea that needs to be looked at, and I do like your format for events...Which in that case, Queenstown would easly host this event, no need for Christchurch in that case.(..in which a discussion of hosting a future CWGs has reared up as post rebuilding celebration). :)

Yeah but still an idea that needs to be looked at, and I do like your format for events...Which in that case, Queenstown would easly host this event, no need for Christchurch in that case.(..in which a discussion of hosting a future CWGs has reared up as post rebuilding celebration). :)

Thanks Alex, and of course Queenstown could definitely come into contention along such hypothetical lines.

If nothing comes of it however it would be intriguing to perhaps look at a Australia/NZ/South Africa indoor winter sports festival with maybe even tie-ins to Chile and Argentina...kinda like a 5 nations Southern Hemisphere winter games or cup. Perhaps throw in a major winter power like Canada to help bring up the standards of the contesting athletes. Problem would be not doubt scheduling such an event, plus where would the finance and popular interest come from?

Archived