Which Canadian city you want to see for 2014 bid?

Faster

How is the support of a bid of this sort over at Ottawa at this time? For me, even though I live in Calgary, a fourth Commonwealth Games for the western half of the country in a row could be a little too much to some of us in these forums.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ottawa submitted a letter of intent but hasn't officially discussed the issue. They are keeping their options open, as there are no obligations associated with submitting the letter of intent.
  • 2 months later...
Ottawa would be the best choice, its has the best international reputation.

We'll see, if the city does go for it. However, its supposed version of financial legacy from the Games is pretty much the opposite of what Calgary believed through its feasibly study about a possible bid.

• 3 weeks later...
3 Ontarian and 1 Nova Scotian bids. It is going to be "tough" for the CGC to determine the Canadian candidate to bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Watch for York Region to be knocked out on Nov. 15. They don’t have a logo, a website and very little information. Plus they lost a soccer stadium.

I wouldn't be so confident that York Region will be knocked out. Just having Toronto next door and the other large populated regions surrounding them will be enough to keep York Region in the race.

Problem is when York Region decided to make a bid they thought the soccer stadium was going to York University. Obviously that isn’t happening, it’s going to the Exhibition place.

Also York Region isn’t getting the support of Markham.

Okay. Very funny to the one who voted for Calgary here very recently. Calgary has long since said that it won't bid for 2014.  :P
  • 3 weeks later...

This poll is so old and does not reflect the current status.  Calgary isn't bidding and Ottawa is missing.  While I hope for Halifax, I think Ottawa will get the nod with Hamilton a close possibility.  I'd be surprised if York got it.

I'm a bit disappointed with the Halifax bid...a bit dull.  A bid based off the downtown Halifax waterfront would have been very sexy and one that tied in the universities would have tempered that with pragmatism.  Instead, it looks like a Dartmouth bid.

I think it will go to Ottawa because as the national capital, it could use both the attention and the development.

I think Hamilton will probably win the Canadian race.

But I think Ottawa should win, it's the city which has most status out of all four cities.

Ottawa has more world status than Hamilton, Halifax and York region.

Also it would be a hit with the CGF that Canada is putting 4ward it'snational capital- rememeber, Nigeria is bidding with it's capital city, Abuja.

In the voting rounds IMO...

York will drop first

then Halifax...

Leaving Ottawa and Hamilton to slug it out...

:)   It will be close.

• 2 weeks later...
With 3 Ontarian bids for the Canadian bid for 2014, Halifax takes it. I guess the CGC is hoping the CGF will want to give small cities a chance to host one again. Besides, the last Commonwealth Games to be hosted in Canada was Victoria in 1994.
  • 5 months later...

Well, it looks like, as some of us here has suspected, the Halifax bid may have been "smoke and mirrors" all this time. However, when I heard allegations that Ottawa "screwed" its marathon event just recently, I don't know if Canada should even got a bid off the ground in the first place.

Hamilton should have won the rights. They already have the experience from bidding and also the drive to get the Commonwealth games. It's situated in a highly populated radius as well that would be able to support and host an excellent games.

Archived