Which Canadian city you want to see for 2014 bid?

Faster

Right and right guardian and dave.

Halifax is so smoke and mirrors that if all the smoke stacks in canadian were shutt off we would still be in violation of the kyoto accord 50 years from now.

Hamilton prbably could have better supported a commonwealth games because of the population and I am including the possiblity of buffalo, cleveland and detroit on top of the GTA and southern ontario. There are no big influxs of foriegn tourists from overseas that was clear by 14000 fewer visitors to melbourne for CWG 2006. The comittee there predicted over 40,00 additional foriegn visitors to melbourne during the games.

The Halifax committee as of april 5th 2006 had not even made a request for the land they propose to use for the commonwealth games site.

There is not federal funding commitment as it stands and the HRM council , the province and the committee might be in for a rude awakening if the feds decide that the land and covering the security costs is federal contribution.

Predicting that 2 billion dollars of economic benefit is the result of a commonwealth games is what Halifax has in store if it is awarded. Considering that the sports tourism group The Canadian Sport Tourism Alliance in an article pins the total benefit of all sports events in canada at 0.95 billion in 2004 it really flys in the face of what the commonwealth games draws. If there is 250 million dollars benefit I would be surprized and spending between 2 to 3 billion with the current situation for the CWG's is not a good investment for a Province of Nova Scotia to commit 120 years fo debt repayment for.

With the disorganized fashion the Halifax band of keystone cops conduct the operation of the bid I really believe that the public should be demanding the committee offices shutt down and the auditor for the province sent in to investigate. Of course the problem there is premier Nero is in power until next tuesday. Hopefully an NDP government will be installed and nova scotia can get on with more realistic ventures like replacing a sewer system that is now in crisis mode in the HRM. $ 600 million is needed to keep Halifax habital not the Commonwealth Games.

jim jones

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right and right guardian and dave.

Halifax is so smoke and mirrors that if all the smoke stacks in canadian were shutt off we would still be in violation of the kyoto accord 50 years from now.

Hamilton prbably could have better supported a commonwealth games because of the population and I am including the possiblity of buffalo, cleveland and detroit on top of the GTA and southern ontario. There are no big influxs of foriegn tourists from overseas that was clear by 14000 fewer visitors to melbourne for CWG 2006. The comittee there predicted over 40,00 additional foriegn visitors to melbourne during the games.

The Halifax committee as of april 5th 2006 had not even made a request for the land they propose to use for the commonwealth games site.

There is not federal funding commitment as it stands and the HRM council , the province and the committee might be in for a rude awakening if the feds decide that the land and covering the security costs is federal contribution.

Predicting that 2 billion dollars of economic benefit is the result of a commonwealth games is what Halifax has in store if it is awarded. Considering that the sports tourism group The Canadian Sport Tourism Alliance in an article pins the total benefit of all sports events in canada at 0.95 billion in 2004 it really flys in the face of what the commonwealth games draws. If there is 250 million dollars benefit I would be surprized and spending between 2 to 3 billion with the current situation for the CWG's is not a good investment for a Province of Nova Scotia to commit 120 years fo debt repayment for.

With the disorganized fashion the Halifax band of keystone cops conduct the operation of the bid I really believe that the public should be demanding the committee offices shutt down and the auditor for the province sent in to investigate. Of course the problem there is premier Nero is in power until next tuesday. Hopefully an NDP government will be installed and nova scotia can get on with more realistic ventures like replacing a sewer system that is now in crisis mode in the HRM. $ 600 million is needed to keep Halifax habital not the Commonwealth Games.

jim jones

I know that you feel it is important to voice your oposition to the Halifax 2014 Bid but as other have mentioned, your facts are misleading your all together wrong. The federal government fully supports the 2014 bid from Halifax and will anounce their finacial support of the bid over the next few month . By doing this, it will demonstrate their desire to invest in the Games themselves. Obviously this number will be determined over the next year. All of this is public so to contend that the federal government is not involved is wrong and you know it.

2 to 3 billion dollar budget for the 2014 Games is a scare tactic that most reasonable people will automatically dismiss. It will not be inexpensive but it will certainly not be in that range. If it is then supporters like me will not be so enthusiastic.

Pan American Games is a poor fit for Halifax and have been far less successful in Winnipeg than the Commonwealth Games in Victoria and Edmonton. The event has many more sports and lacks the tradition of the Commonwealth Games. The event will become more valuable only if more sports use the Games as an Olympic qualifier. However, the trend is to have more sport specific qualifying events that package them in a Pan Am event. As you should know, the TV audience is much smaller for this Pan Ams.

It will be interesting that you try to cast such a dark shadow on the bid when all levels of government support the effort and the majority of citizens of Halifax do as well. I guess the majority is wrong and those who like to keep new investments, initiatives and progress from Halifax are right.

I know that you feel it is important to voice your oposition to the Halifax 2014 Bid but as other have mentioned, your facts are misleading your all together wrong. The federal government fully supports the 2014 bid from Halifax and will anounce their finacial support of the bid over the next few month . By doing this, it will demonstrate their desire to invest in the Games themselves. Obviously this number will be determined over the next year. All of this is public so to contend that the federal government is not involved is wrong and you know it.

2 to 3 billion dollar budget for the 2014 Games is a scare tactic that most reasonable people will automatically dismiss. It will not be inexpensive but it will certainly not be in that range. If it is then supporters like me will not be so enthusiastic.

Pan American Games is a poor fit for Halifax and have been far less successful in Winnipeg than the Commonwealth Games in Victoria and Edmonton. The event has many more sports and lacks the tradition of the Commonwealth Games. The event will become more valuable only if more sports use the Games as an Olympic qualifier. However, the trend is to have more sport specific qualifying events that package them in a Pan Am event. As you should know, the TV audience is much smaller for this Pan Ams.

It will be interesting that you try to cast such a dark shadow on the bid when all levels of government support the effort and the majority of citizens of Halifax do as well. I guess the majority is wrong and those who like to keep new investments, initiatives and progress from Halifax are right.

What's funny is that Jim tries to say that there is a huge majority for people against the games, when theres been absolutely no proof on it. Since the last public poll showed nearly 3/4 support, and in my honest opinion I think its probably higher now, just that the media only want to have the opinions of the anti games people published for some reason.

What's funny is that Jim tries to say that there is a huge majority for people against the games, when theres been absolutely no proof on it. Since the last public poll showed nearly 3/4 support, and in my honest opinion I think its probably higher now, just that the media only want to have the opinions of the anti games people published for some reason.

So how do you see public support being higher when the committee brought out a sham of a survey saying 90 percent of people in nova scotia wanted the commownealth games. Then as the heat was just starting a un-biased pole was done and the pro-games respondants went from 90 to 74 percent. That pole was four monthes ago with many many more letters to the editor and op ed pieces pointing to the games negative sides. yuo know why we dont see a pole by the committee because they know they are in seroius trouble with the public with the closed door meeting about having not federal funding at all. The committee is spinning its wheels . Micheal chong and peter mackay dont write the cheques , Bev Oda , Stephen Harper and Jim Flattery do.

Notice who made the annoucement for vancouver 2010 David Emerson

I would say you would be lucky to have over 50 percent of any 500 people surveyed in nova scotia respond that they would like to have the commonwealth games.

As too 2 to 3 billion dolars that is totally realistic considering melbourne was about 2 billion with many venues in place. Step froward to 2014 and the operations and security costs will put it over one billion and the construction of most all of the venues will lead to huge overruns.

Tell me if the conservatives are so behind sports festivals why didnt they write a simple cheque for 55 million that vancouver requested instead of 33 million? The conservatives are puuting 250 milion dollars into roads in new brunswick and 10 million into the IAAF juniors in Moncton.

You see stephen harper is a very smart politican because he knows investing in roads will gain votes from the common person where as funding a bottomless pit like a sport festival is considered wasteful and elitist by a majority of the population. That type of thinking fits with an NDP government and if Darrell Dexter is premier next wednesday then you will see the rug come from out under the hlaifax bid qiucker then the tories will do it. The federals tories will let dexter look like the bad guy.

Lets try next MAY before any financial details are released. The citizens are geting tried of being stonewalled . You either have the budget, the bid and federal funding or you dont. They certainly dont have the lland from DND because according to that e mail sent to peter ewert there has to be public hearings.

jim jones

And quess who appears from behind a press release that was not published in any newspapers to talk with the Halifax Herald's Roger Taylor to clarify the federal governements position this morning . None other then micheal chong himself. Seems the feds will put in no more then 35 percent and at a very low ball figure of 1 billion dollars we are looking at 350 million or all that was committed for hamilton in 2003. So far we have 120 million from the city , 225 milion from the province and IF CABINET approves it 350 million if the games are 1 billion dollars. Does the agruement over 22 million for an ongoing project in vancouver with a centre many times the population and the big brand in sports festival sound like a blank cheque for halifax from the fedral government? 35 percent of 785 is 274 million. If i had my way I would ask ARE your sure scott logan? here you go 274 million today and dont call back when it costs 2 billion LOLOLOLOL.

300 million would have to be made up in private money and that is not going to happen in this country for a commonwealth games as 175 million au dollars was all melbourne could muster. 300 million is about 5 years of sobeys net profits.

Again could the 350 million come from goods,services and land in kind from the federal government? sure it could in light that there are no tories members of parliament in the HRM.

The 80 million hamilton had to aid the commonwealth countries via the federal governement on an other account might also be included in the federal share. In that case the city would be on the hook for 450 million and the province as well if and only if it was kept to 1 billion which is strangely enough 50 million dollar above the city of ottawa's estimate. Considering Peter kelly is on record to say that the financing for the games would be over 20 years for the city share at 120 million the case with that ammount having to be many more times would certainly be a huge drain on the taxpapyers.

Now think about 2 billion and you get a clearer picture of what anti-games people have been saying

a proivnce and a city that are in huge debt situations are not going to get the stadium fairy to pay for their fun house it will be the taxpayers of rural nova scotia dn the HRM that will bear the majority of the cost.

jim jones

And quess who appears from behind a press release that was not published in any newspapers to talk with the Halifax Herald's Roger Taylor to clarify the federal governements position this morning . None other then micheal chong himself. Seems the feds will put in no more then 35 percent and at a very low ball figure of 1 billion dollars we are looking at 350 million or all that was committed for hamilton in 2003. So far we have 120 million from the city , 225 milion from the province and IF CABINET approves it 350 million if the games are 1 billion dollars. Does the agruement over 22 million for an ongoing project in vancouver with a centre many times the population and the big brand in sports festival sound like a blank cheque for halifax from the fedral government? 35 percent of 785 is 274 million. If i had my way I would ask ARE your sure scott logan? here you go 274 million today and dont call back when it costs 2 billion LOLOLOLOL.

300 million would have to be made up in private money and that is not going to happen in this country for a commonwealth games as 175 million au dollars was all melbourne could muster. 300 million is about 5 years of sobeys net profits.

Again could the 350 million come from goods,services and land in kind from the federal government? sure it could in light that there are no tories members of parliament in the HRM.

The 80 million hamilton had to aid the commonwealth countries via the federal governement on an other account might also be included in the federal share. In that case the city would be on the hook for 450 million and the province as well if and only if it was kept to 1 billion which is strangely enough 50 million dollar above the city of ottawa's estimate. Considering Peter kelly is on record to say that the financing for the games would be over 20 years for the city share at 120 million the case with that ammount having to be many more times would certainly be a huge drain on the taxpapyers.

Now think about 2 billion and you get a clearer picture of what anti-games people have been saying

a proivnce and a city that are in huge debt situations are not going to get the stadium fairy to pay for their fun house it will be the taxpayers of rural nova scotia dn the HRM that will bear the majority of the cost.

jim jones

2 billion???? I cannot understand where you continuously get this number from. If you are refering to Australia, you have no understanding for all of the infrastructure projects that the city and state included to take advantage of the Melbourne opportunity. The city embraced the Games to a magnificent scale and the population solidly supported the Games.

I would trust the key budgeting people from the city and province much more than an anonymous person who posts speculation about finances based on absolutely no facts. How do you breakdown your $2 billion dollar estimate? Please add some credibility to your arguements if you want people to truly agree with your position. According to your own math, it appears that about $700 million is already on the table for the Games. I would say that this is great news for the economy of the region.

You have been telling the world there is no federal support. Now that there, you should at least acknowledge that you were wrong. More likely, you will move to another factless point which you will be wrong about once again.

I want debate and think it is required for such a large project. However, it needs to have some logical basis and not only emotionally driven.

2 billion???? I cannot understand where you continuously get this number from. If you are refering to Australia, you have no understanding for all of the infrastructure projects that the city and state included to take advantage of the Melbourne opportunity. The city embraced the Games to a magnificent scale and the population solidly supported the Games.

I would trust the key budgeting people from the city and province much more than an anonymous person who posts speculation about finances based on absolutely no facts. How do you breakdown your $2 billion dollar estimate? Please add some credibility to your arguements if you want people to truly agree with your position. According to your own math, it appears that about $700 million is already on the table for the Games. I would say that this is great news for the economy of the region.

You have been telling the world there is no federal support. Now that there, you should at least acknowledge that you were wrong. More likely, you will move to another factless point which you will be wrong about once again.

I want debate and think it is required for such a large project. However, it needs to have some logical basis and not only emotionally driven.

Ah thee is no federal FINANCIAL support that is the only support that really counts again. These games have cost on the order of 1.5 billion in Melbourne that is KNOWN and not hiden from view.

As to embracing the games in melbourne well lets put it this way 496,000 tickets were turned over to the committee 7 days before hand . 7 million in tickets were given away for the closing ceremonies. Even with aquatic power house australia in there home field you had two aquatic events that did not sell out .

Manchester was much of the same. It is very easy math . 400 million for security that was the cost in melbourne in 2006, 80 million to the federation for their fees , 50 million for an indoor velodrome. 450 million to revamp a main stadium , 60 million for a aquatic centre , an athletes village 120 million. opening and closing cemeromies 30 million. an arts festival 15 million , operating expenses at 100 million a day(but of course that can include some of your security costs.) who knows what the commonwealth games youth festival is for cost two years ahead of 2014 in a location in the martimes or nova scotia as per tradition with the commonwealth games federation.

Then you forward this to Halifax 8 years down the road and you will have the budget creep and cost overuns. The new wembely stadium this past year increased in cost by 100 million pounds because fo the price of steel. Every single sports festival has had that happen espeically when you build from scratch as in Halifax's Case. IE Vancouver 2010. The federal government does not want to get into that business. As shown by minister chong's statement.

The problem is the commonwealth games is not something you scale back for domestic consumption because the europeans control the show. The CWG's are longer a college campus affair like it was in victoria. With Abuja and Glasgow even if Halifax is awarded you will have to match those standards while europeans dictate the terms else the europeans pull the games and award them to Abuja or Glasgow. The demands of europeans have been shown with the IOC this week with the inspection of facilities in Vancouver.

The internaitonal ice hockey association president actually questioning about GM Place???

Man you do the expansion of the playing surface two years before the games and cover over the GM place logo a month before. My god how do you think the halifax forum will suit the amatuer boxing bodies or the Metro Centre for Net ball. I cant imagine where Rugby sevens will play??? Or lawn bowls???

All europeans are out for is to rape our treasuries with these affairs plain and simple. Cart off the booty to europe.

The very simple equation is montreal was estimated to cost 138 million when drapeau bid it ended up at 1.5 billion in the end. Melbourne was original estimate was 195 million they ended up at 1.5 billion with hiden costs. So the factor historically have been eight to ten times the original estimate for many of the games. I dont beleive it will go 10 times the 786 million but it is not unreasonable to see it go three times the original bid. to 2.5 billion. I am giving tons of leahway from what has been history with these types of events. As Kevin Chamberlain, Chair of the Melbourne City Council's Finance and Corporate Services Committee said in 2002 "The other cities have all had a go, all the bigger cities, Kuala Lumpur, Manchester, Melbourne, Auckland, Brisbane. So you're really excluding a lot of nations, because they don't have a lazy $2,000,000,000 sitting around.

The very same software that Events Halifax uses for event called STEAM was used for the Fina World Aquatics Championships in Montreal last year. The report from The Canadian Sport Tourism Alliance stated what a great success the Fina event was. Yes that is why the Montreal Fina 2005 chairman committed suicide in Febuary 2005 as he could not believe the tickets sales and overwhelming corporate support he was getting.

The report by this tourism body mistated the funding ammounts. These are the type of people leading this Bid. Bafoons who cant even ask all the questions in Melbourne while they on a 500,000 dollar junket. these are people the citizens of nova scotia should trust while they do their business behind closed doors? A question to ask would be Why did melbourne have to build a second indoor velodrome in 3 years for the commonwealth games????? pretty simple the europeans probably wanted their german buddies to build one at victoria state and melbourne city expense.

These are the questions that have to be asked and known to the public to decide if this is wise investment. Being jerked around by several european sport agencies seems like the recipe for financial ruin that will be 120 years to recover from by the payment standards of the montreal summer games. 1.5 to 2 billion is the same among of money it is just the cost now for a circus that hardly anyone watches even in the commonwealth. Just with nova scotia and halfiax you have much smaller populations to draw from. Seems like an expensive way for certain council member to get a CFL stadium

jim jones

• 9 months later...

Well, the news about Halifax was just getting interesting when it dropped out from the international race, one of the other former Canadian contenders for 2014 just got bad news, regarding one of its own premier events. Even though equestrian is not in the Commonwealth Games, OTTAWA had to cancel this year's edition of the Capital Classic Show Jumping event because of, guess what, RISING COSTS and FALLING SPONSORSHIPS.

Link: CBC: Capital Classic Equestrian Tournament Cancelled

What seems to be going on in this front lately?

Archived