Which Canadian city you want to see for 2014 bid?

Faster

Sweet first time I used the poll function thing.

Calgary and York Region both submitted their letter of intent for the 2014 Games. But both didn't get the approval from city council. They just got their tourism department to send the letter and also send the money.

Okay I want this to be a clean discussion no bickering between each cities. Commonwealth Games is known as ‘friendly games’ so please make this a friendly thread.

Anyone can vote this just isn't for Canadians to vote.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to see Halifax be Canada's city and the host of 2014, it is a beautiful city with a lot of history and along side Charlettetown and Quebec City has player a huge role in Canadian history and identity. Not to mention i plan on moving there in a years time

For me I would like Hamilton to be Canada's 2014 Commonwealth Games bid city. No surprise right? lol

The main reason is because the impact to Hamilton would be enormous. The benefits would include jobs, investment in tourism, revitalize the waterfront and the downtown, and athletic infrastructure (Ontario badly needs that), and make the city rebound from decades of downturn to a huge boost to civic pride and morale.

Also I believe Hamilton has a great chance landing this Game as well. Hamilton is still fresh in the minds of the CGF officials from the 2010 bid.

I'm supporting Halifax too.  If they have a good venue and legacy plan, the 2014 Games would boost their city's profile and help out with sporting infrastructure for all of the Maritime provinces.  Halifax has numerous universities that could benefit from the facilities and the city is looking to position itself in a more favourable international light.

Although to be honest, I expect Hamilton will get a second go.

My first post here...

Halifax.

Atlantic Canada deserves the opportunity.  Period.  There are problems--like no stadium.  But the simple fact is that every other region of the country has had its chance at hosting something like this.  

Atlantic Canada doesn't want to be a have-not region.  It has a vibrant history and culture and would be an inspired choice for Canada’s 2014 CWG bid.

And, yes, I live here (Fredericton, actually).  But I'm not from here, so I feel my bias is in check.

You know who I voted for. However, Halifax can give the Commonwealth Games the "Maritime flavor" that hasn't been shown to the world yet here in this regard.

Montreal!  So it will be the first Francophile Commonwealth Games.  It'll give new meaning and a new dimension to the CGs.

Funny. It is interesting that Montreal was chosen to host the 1942 Commonwealth Games (different name at that time), but WWII got in the way.

Montreal!  So it will be the first Francophile Commonwealth Games.  It'll give new meaning and a new dimension to the CGs.

Montreal? Naaah too french... Still had've 1976 been an outstanding success, on the world map Canada would look sooooo different today...

Hamilton would be my favorite as they have tried before,  and the Queen would enjoy opening them probibly for the last time...  Then again Linda Evangelista or Yasmeen Gahuri could open them as well. lol.

some of hamiltons facilities would be used for a Toronto bid, for things like soccer or rugby or softball or baseball, and the possible rowing venue if used in the games would be the same, St. Catherines

Part of Hamilton's bid for the rowing event will be no doubt proposed at Port Dalhousie, St. Catharines. The Henley Course has a worldwide reputation.

Toronto itself won't benefit much from Hamilton's bid, maybe some practice venues in Toronto. That and sold out hotels in Toronto is probably the only thing Toronto will benefit from.

But Toronto's suburb such as Milton will benefit possible triathlon venue at Kelso Conservation area.

Well it appears that these four, Hamilton, Calgary, Halifax and York Region will be part of the domestic bid as today is the deadline for domestic bids.

No Toronto or Montreal that some speculated.

york region is part of toronto

Yes but the majority of York venues will be at York University.

Sort of be like Barrie hosting the Live 8 supposed to be hosted in Toronto but it's not.

The city itself, Toronto, hasn't submitted a bid.

York University is in North York, not York Region, North York is part of Toronto

York Region and especially the word York is driving me nuts lol getting me all confused.

York Region has Markham, Thornhill, Aurora and Richmond Hill.

i know, there is York Region, North York, York, and East York, and than they are divided further into places like Vaughan

Wonder whuich City will be the "official" host.  Or is the region as a whole aloud to be the host.  

Richmond Hill 2014

Markham 2014

Aurora 2014

or York Region 2014?

They keep saying York Region over and over and never mention Markham, Aurora or Richmond Hill. So it'll probably be spread out through the region.

We'll just have to wait and see where they plan to build the main stadium. Probably Markham?

Well it appears that these four, Hamilton, Calgary, Halifax and York Region will be part of the domestic bid as today is the deadline for domestic bids.

No Toronto or Montreal that some speculated.

Well, well. 3 East vs. 1 West.  :cool:

Archived