Atlanta 1996 - Centennial Olympic Games

On 6/29/2021 at 3:08 AM, Olympian2005 said:

Gymnastics and Basketball venue Georgia Dome

Then:

Olympics-at-Dome.jpg

Never seen that shot before.  Interesting.  Funny that they used a black curtain.  It should've been green in keeping with the Games' color motif.  

BTW, isn't the M-Benz stadium on the site of the also demolished OMNI?  And the Georgia Dome is now a parking lot -- or vice versa?  (Maybe Atlanta 1996 holds the record of having the most major venues (Fulton County baseball, the OMNI, Georgia Dome (2 sports right there), the transformed Olympic-Turner Field-GSU Panthers-- are there others?) demolished so quickly after the Games?  An early start for "cancel culture"?  :wacko:

Many venues demolished soon after the games you are right, however these were venues that were either no longer needed or replaced with much better venues.

MB Stadium you are right is not on the exact site as the Georgia dome was but it is practically next door.

2 hours ago, WD96 said:

I noticed that many people said that Atlanta 1996 was a mess, the United States would later won the bid for Salt Lake City 2002. Take notes Japan if you want to bid for Sapporo 2030 after Tokyo 2020.

Uhm. SLC got the Olympics in 1995, so there goes your argument.

Also, Atlanta may or may not have been a mess, but compared to the continuous disaster (not all, but partly due to its own doing) that is Tokyo 2020-1, it was a walk in the park.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Uhm. SLC got the Olympics in 1995, so there goes your argument.

Also, Atlanta may or may not have been a mess, but compared to the continuous disaster (not all, but partly due to its own doing) that is Tokyo 2020-1, it was a walk in the park.

We'll had to see if Tokyo 2020 will run smoothly without spectators.

Atlanta gets a bad rap when it comes to the Olympics. They weren't perfect but they didn't bankrupt a country like Athens or Rio. Looking back, Atlanta was under scrutiny from the moment it was awarded the Games, with the famed comment about the Olympic flame being lit with Coca Cola. 

Legacy wise, only the Stone Mountain Tennis Center was a mistake (I imagine if Atlanta could do it over again, temporary courts would have been used). as the climate in Atlanta isn't really desirable for an ATP event. The Georgia Dome served its purpose, sadly it (along with the TWA Dome in St. Louis) were constructed right before sports teams started placing a premium on luxury suites for more revenue. Stadiums like the Georgia Dome were out of date much earlier than intended because of this. Fulton County Stadium and the Omni got nice send offs. Georgia Tech came out with the natatorium being converted to a recreation center along with the Alexander Memorial Coliseum receiving a much needed renovation. Morehouse College benefited from the newly constructed Forbes Arena. Then there's the Georgia International Horse Park. Atlanta for the most part avoided the white elephants that plagued future hosts (Athens, Beijing, Sochi, Pyeongchang, Rio, and Tokyo). 

I remember Cobb County was supposed to host some events but they were moved due to some controversial legislation. Anybody remember what events were set for Cobb County and where along with what the controversial law was?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stryker said:

Atlanta gets a bad rap when it comes to the Olympics. They weren't perfect but they didn't bankrupt a country like Athens or Rio. Looking back, Atlanta was under scrutiny from the moment it was awarded the Games, with the famed comment about the Olympic flame being lit with Coca Cola. 

Legacy wise, only the Stone Mountain Tennis Center was a mistake (I imagine if Atlanta could do it over again, temporary courts would have been used). as the climate in Atlanta isn't really desirable for an ATP event. The Georgia Dome served its purpose, sadly it (along with the TWA Dome in St. Louis) were constructed right before sports teams started placing a premium on luxury suites for more revenue. Stadiums like the Georgia Dome were out of date much earlier than intended because of this. Fulton County Stadium and the Omni got nice send offs. Georgia Tech came out with the natatorium being converted to a recreation center along with the Alexander Memorial Coliseum receiving a much needed renovation. Morehouse College benefited from the newly constructed Forbes Arena. Then there's the Georgia International Horse Park. Atlanta for the most part avoided the white elephants that plagued future hosts (Athens, Beijing, Sochi, Pyeongchang, Rio, and Tokyo). 

I remember Cobb County was supposed to host some events but they were moved due to some controversial legislation. Anybody remember what events were set for Cobb County and where along with what the controversial law was?

Well said Stryker

its been 25 years and the Atlanta games deserve respect.

At the time, yes they were too commercialized, but this meant no waste of public money. The venues built and refurbished were and still are used greatly (stone mountain aside)

Cities today should look at the Atlanta olympics and aim to emulate their success. 

The Atlanta History center will be screening live the Tokyo Opening ceremony.

https://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/event/olympic-games-opening-ceremony-screening/

i have just registered to attend, it is free, plus you get entry to the Atlanta 1996 exhibition plus free food and coffee :)

So excited.

On 6/30/2021 at 10:13 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Never seen that shot before.  Interesting.  Funny that they used a black curtain.  It should've been green in keeping with the Games' color motif.  

BTW, isn't the M-Benz stadium on the site of the also demolished OMNI?  And the Georgia Dome is now a parking lot -- or vice versa?  (Maybe Atlanta 1996 holds the record of having the most major venues (Fulton County baseball, the OMNI, Georgia Dome (2 sports right there), the transformed Olympic-Turner Field-GSU Panthers-- are there others?) demolished so quickly after the Games?  An early start for "cancel culture"?  :wacko:

I think black was chosen so they could use it again in future needs of blacking out the roof. I know they purchased black curtains for the Benz for the Final Four last year for the same reason. 

Dome got torn down with the Benz rising up directly to the south. MLK Jr Drive had to be diverted around and some properties including a church or two were purchased by the state for demolition. The Dome site in now the "Home Depot Backyard" for tailgating and community events. The northern section of the old dome spot  (closest to GWCC) is having sitework done to build a 1000+ bed hotel. 

The Omni was torn down and replaced with State Farm Arena on the same site. 

I wouldn't count the Olympic stadium as demolished. As you know it was always going to be transformed into Turner Field. And despite the horrible configuration that GSU has it in right now, Not much has been altered of the structure itself since the Turner Field transformation. The only demo work that has happened was to about 6 sections in what use to be left field. The only OG Olympic stadium structure has been Demo'd since it became Turner Field was the 7 field level sections they took down along the first base line in the transformation to the GSU Stadium. 

6 hours ago, Olympian2005 said:

The Atlanta History center will be screening live the Tokyo Opening ceremony.

https://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/event/olympic-games-opening-ceremony-screening/

i have just registered to attend, it is free, plus you get entry to the Atlanta 1996 exhibition plus free food and coffee :)

So excited.

Good lord, 7AM?! Shame they aren't doing it later in the day. I need to go see the revamped Olympic section.  Tokyo's time zone isn't very friendly for us east coasters. 

1 minute ago, Blazerblaz3 said:

Good lord, 7AM?! Shame they aren't doing it later in the day. I need to go see the revamped Olympic section.  Tokyo's time zone isn't very friendly for us east coasters. 

If it isn't canceled entirely at the last minute.  You're complaining of 7 AM?  What about us Westcoasters?  It will be 4:00 AM for us here, and we are ACTUALLY closer to Japan than you are there!   BTW, thx for the updates on Atlanta's new stadia.  BTW, if there will be that so-called FRAUDIT for Fulton County's votes, which venue do you think it will be held in? 

20 hours ago, Blazerblaz3 said:

Well it is 7am as they are streaming it live. Plus they are supplying free food and coffee, so will be worth waking early for.

On 7/7/2021 at 9:27 PM, stryker said:

Cobb County was slated to host volleyball preliminaries at The Cobb Galleria. The county passed a resolution basically stating that homosexuality was not compatible the the county's values. ACOG then relocated that portion of the volleyball competition to the University of Georgia.

Atlanta had its issues (Dick Pound never misses an opportunity to trash it, perhaps his wife being cited for jaywalking might have something to do with it). IBM thought pre-testing the results system was a waste of time. The out-of-town bus drivers lacked to enough training to get familiar with the area (GPS would have helped, but that was a few years off). The unique touch to the parade of nations, having them some down the ramp, was a wonderful idea, but poorly executed. Most notably, the decision to allow people to enter Centennial Park without passing through security is something I still can't wrap my head around. You also had the flea market on steroids outside Centennial Park, which can be pinned on Mayor Campbell and his cronies trying to make a few bucks off the Games, ACOG also contributed to the commercialization gluttony by selling sponsorships for almost every category possible in an attempt to raise the funds necessary to meet their revenue goals, but they did succeed, ending up with a small surplus.

Otherwise, these Games were the greatest competitions up to that time. The venues have or had served the city well. Centennial Park are revitalized an area once run-down. Atlanta's misfortune is perhaps amplified by the fact that is came between Barcelona and Sydney, two Games held in the highest of esteem. It was my only in-person Olympic experience, so there is no way I can be objective about it. It was a wonderful time and I met wonderful people. Thank you Olympan2005 for starting this retrospective thread, it's bringing back some wonderful memories.

• Thanks 1